Tightening toggle switch and input jack on a LP

quadrogong

After a few shows I always need the input jack and toggle switch tightened
I'm a little aggressive on stage and get carried away by adrenalin etc
Probably my fault,
Not sure why it always happens to my LP but it does

My switch and input spin around to the point where the switch needs to be rotated to use it properly
Can I tighten them myself without a special wrench or tool?
Or can they be tightened easily myself w a regular pliers or needle nose pliers?
I'm scared to unsolder a wire or something

Easy?
Or let a tech do it?

And why does it always happen?
Is it just stuff that needs to be tightened periodically
Or is there a specific reason I get this ?

Tonekat

Gold Supporting Member
You can just access the lose switch from the back, and use a thin pair of needle nose to hold and tighten the nut on the inside. I don't like to let metal tools near the finish, but I find that simply gripping the ring on the outside of the guitar and tightening from the inside does the trick.

quadrogong

You can just access the lose switch from the back, and use a thin pair of needle nose to hold and tighten the nut on the inside. I don't like to let metal tools near the finish, but I find that simply gripping the ring on the outside of the guitar and tightening from the inside does the trick.
Hold the ring w my fingers and tighten from inside w the needle nose
Ok.
The input?.. Is that tougher?

I know that lock tite stuff
is that ok to use in there?
Will it prevent future problems?

idlewilder

If it's the stock input jack then a replacement might be needed...or at least the jack plate to a metal one. Both of your issues are an easy fix. I found that when I had a jack that wouldn't stay tight that I needed to replace it. You only need to solder two points. If you don't want to do it your self, a tech shouldn't charge more than $20

73Fender

Use the blue lock tite (non permanent)if you want but I haven't needed it. I just remove the cover, hold the switch from the back and tighten the thumb screw. I don't use needle nose, not much grip and they slip. I'd use something like small channel locks. If you are worried about the finish, put some masking tape around the area.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
Tightening things up, especially with the right washers, is great. I use the lock tite as an added level of security to keep things from jiggling loose under vibration. I also use a speck of it on strap button screws and cable ends. Set screws on shaft style knobs and occasionally pickguard screws.

Its popularity to me is left over from my bicycle mechanic days.

73Fender

Tightening things up, especially with the right washers, is great. I use the lock tite as an added level of security to keep things from jiggling loose under vibration. I also use a speck of it on strap button screws and cable ends. Set screws on shaft style knobs and occasionally pickguard screws.

Its popularity to me is left over from my bicycle mechanic days.
great idea..really is good stuff, used it for many years as a field engineer. Use red for permanent.