Tightest bands ever in your humble opinion..Live!

pete kanaras

The original Orleans group was super tight and funky!

****, i meant to include orleans too. i'm a po'town native and i saw them at the last chance many a time. one of the greatest live bands ever, the version with wells kelly

Lance

Gold Supporting Member
Umphrey's McGee. Tribal Tech, which I can't believe there hasn't been mention of. Four dudes who could darn near read each others' minds, when improvising.

Metallica? Not at all who I'd expect to see in a thread on tightness. I guess it just depends on which shows you've seen. The 6 or so, I attended, Lars could not have been sloppier. He lost time like 6 - 7 places throughout the show. Jason was getting downright p.o'd about it. Yes, their studio stuff is very tight, but I've never seen them reproduce it well live.

Of course Zappa! Then again, if Frank himself auditioned for his own band, he wouldn't make the cut!

devilrob1979

Between the Buried and Me
Ensiferum
Necrophagist
Death- Sounds of perseverance era
Cynic
Believer
Triumph
I just saw Ensiferum and Necrophagist. Both were amazing but Necrophagist was just other-worldly. Wasn't Richard Christy in Death during the Sounds of Perserverance era?

The Kid

I've seen many, many bands, but I'd have to say D'Angelo's band ca. 2000 with Questlove, Pino Palladino, Roy Hargrove, and others was as good as it gets. Shades of James Brown's great bands.
I came here to post that!

Also MeShell N'Degeocello's band and Erykah Badu's band especially when they have Chris Dave on drums. Beast!

Jazzocaster

Umphrey's McGee were one of the tightest live bands I've seen. I saw them at a festival and knew they were pretty decent already, but I was floored.

franksguitar

Gentle Giant I saw them live in the 70's amazing
Yes (saw2X)
King Crimson
ELP (saw 3X)
Kansas (saw 5X)
Orig. ELO (opening act Rory Gallagher & Original Journey with Greg Rollie)
McCartney (3X)
Don Henley solo tour
Steely Dan (saw 2X)

rul8agn

Gov't Mule
ZZ Top
Eric Clapton w/Steve Jordan on drums
Brad Paisley

All extremely tight when I saw them, but none have come close to Alison Krauss & Union Station. They were flat out amazing!!!

angus99

The Little River Band was very tight vocally.

For overall tightness I'd have to add Tull, early CTA and add a second for Alison Krauss & Co.

B_of_H

there should be two categories here:

bands that play the same exact set of 10 to 18 songs every night of a tour

and

bands that rotate songs and very rarely play the same song two nights in a row.

because to me, a band that plays the same show over and over is only tight due to repitition. A band that has a rotation of 150+ songs and pulls them out 1 to 5 times a tour and still sounds tight using their ears, intuition and visual cues....now that is TIGHT on a different level.

billdurham

tightest band I ever saw was Mothers Finest last year. They have changed drummers since and I haven't seen them but the shows I saw were a clinic on tightness. They are a funk rock band with lots of band accents and kicks.. unbelievable stuff.

B_of_H

i'll agree on umphreys mcgee.

they could learn 5 songs an hour before a show and nail them. I bet most bands would trainwreck if they tried that.

reno88

king's x. insanely tight live. saw them several times in the late '80-early '90's when i lived in tx. incredible live band.

Trending Topics