Tilting amp stands?

billyg121

Silver Supporting Member
I am playing a gig soon where i really want to tilt my amp up for a better monitoring experience. Tilt back stands are cheap enough...my question is I have heard decoupling from the stage is not a good idea, possibly loosing low end. Is this a noticeable difference, and doesn't it depend on the material the stage is constructed of?? For instance, playing of a concrete platform would not provide better bass response, right? Thanks for any thoughts on this!

ledzep618

It does decouple and you will lose the low end that you perceive from resonance with the floor. IMO tilting the amp back gives you a more accurate sound of what the audience hears from the beam coming off your speaker and of what's coming out of the mic. The bass resonance from the floor isn't transferred to the mic.

billyg121

Silver Supporting Member
So the resonance you hear is pretty much just audible if you are standing near the amp on stage?

Dr. Lo

I've never liked tilting my amp back because my ears are much closer to, if not right in the path of, the beam of sound coming out of the speaker cone, which is quite harsh. In my experience, most players dislike that particular sound, and so would your audience. I play through a 2x12 cabinet that sits vertically so it has roughly the same height as a 4x12. Also, it has an open-back design, which makes the sound much less directional and thus easier to hear when your ears are not directly in front of the speaker.

billyg121

Silver Supporting Member
The Stand back does look cool. Very portable! So something that lightweight is stable with a 60lb combo??

billyg121

Silver Supporting Member
Wow maybe I will check this out. Just 30 bucks. I was eyeing the OnStage tilt back that has a built in boom for micing?? Keep the suggestions coming. Thanks!

la noise

I am playing a gig soon where i really want to tilt my amp up for a better monitoring experience. Tilt back stands are cheap enough...my question is I have heard decoupling from the stage is not a good idea, possibly loosing low end. Is this a noticeable difference, and doesn't it depend on the material the stage is constructed of?? For instance, playing of a concrete platform would not provide better bass response, right? Thanks for any thoughts on this!
I have amp stands and never use due to the
loss of low-end. Had better luck with placing
something under the front of the amp, or cab
and tilting back that way, Billy. :aok

billyg121

Silver Supporting Member
Hey thanka La Noise!! Maybe this Stand Back is worth checking out? Seems to keep the coupling intact?

IM4Tone

So the resonance you hear is pretty much just audible if you are standing near the amp on stage?
Yes, assuming you have relatively low stage volume and are mic'd for the audience.

I use this and like it. Keeps the coupling effect:

http://www.standback.net
:aok

I use this, called an Amp Wedge.

:aok
I think either of these are the way to go. I've made a wedge out of wood and covered it with black rubber....same principle.

TubeStack

Silver Supporting Member
I just use a foot long piece of 2x4 lumber that props up the front of the amp. Much cheaper than $30.
Yes, and I've used a hardcover book, also cheaper. But sometimes I need to tilt it back farther, which is where the Standback helps.

Steve Hotra

Gold Supporting Member
It does decouple and you will lose the low end that you perceive from resonance with the floor. IMO tilting the amp back gives you a more accurate sound of what the audience hears from the beam coming off your speaker and of what's coming out of the mic. The bass resonance from the floor isn't transferred to the mic.
This is my experience as well.
But I face the amp towards me as a holdback speaker and either mic'd or line out from the amp.

BlueRiff

Yes, and I've used a hardcover book, also cheaper. But sometimes I need to tilt it back farther, which is where the Standback helps.
I have found the 3m rubber sanding blocks work great and and look goo
I like the 3M Rubber Sanding Blocks .. One under each front corner. They look good, improve projection of amp, keep your smp back on the floor so you don't lose bass, and are inexpensive...

Trending Topics