Tim and AC 30

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bionic, Sep 21, 2006.

1. bionic

bionic Member

I know that Hot Cakes are usually recomended for AC 30's but I should be getting my Tim pedal soon and was wondering how they interact with AC 30's

2. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

A TIM or Timmy pedal has been my main rhythm level OD for about the last 18 months with my AC30. I find the clarity & openess of these pedals really allows the AC30 mids to come through without getting mushed up, compressed or coloured too much.

I'm a big fan :AOK

3. Stressfest

Stressfest Member

That's because you don't own a Carb yet Realfi :D
    My Tim did sound almightily good through the AC30 though.

4. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

I know I'm digressing here but I keep hearing mixed things about the Carb.

Some say it's Klon-like in which case I wouldn't use it the way I use my Paul C pedals.

Remember, I'm about the only person on the planet who didn't like Hotcake>AC30.

I also couldn't get the Eternity to work for me which could get me expelled from TGP!!!

5. Stressfest

Stressfest Member

Shhhh...you'll get us both kicked out!!
    You're welcome to borrow my Carb if you like...i'll drop it off at Concept Sat :D

6. mild

mild Member

Hey Realfi and Stressy... dunno about you guys, but my Carb acts an awful lot like my Hotcake - but its higher gain settings are a whole lot more useable.

Its a unique sounding pedal, not quite sure if its exactly me yet though... Its a strange sound, almost like a clean tone went out and got a bit fuzzed around the edges with some hard liquor. True!

7. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

My Carb sounds nothing like my hotcake. Are you playing with the volume pretty low?? CARB needs more volume from the guitar and amp both to really open up. I don't think there is any compression there. Hotcake has a crap load of compression.

I compare CARB to the Klon because of how "different" they are, not because of how alike they are real-fi. They are extremly different tone wise (and different from everything else!). CARB's closest reelative would be the Cot50, but for AC30's and Oranges instead of marshalls and Fenders. It sounds like our natural preamp tubes ringing out. Very chimey with alot of clarity. Great for rhythm playing. I always compare it to that Big Star tone, (Strat in the neck/bridge pickup->CARB-> AC30 top boost channel). Think "Mod Lang" or "In the Street", and you got it. Alot of prescence and clarity with no compression. I think, like Klon, its a pedal you either absolutly love, or absolutly hate.

I plan on posting a side by side comparison of timmy and CARB as soon as I recieve timmy from Paul (I ordered in mid-march I think, so my call should come anytime now).

8. PaulC

PaulC Member

What a drag - I seemed to have lost all my orders from March...

9. bionic

bionic Member

Uh oh, I think I am one of the March orders. Paul, I talked to you about two weeks ago and you mentioned my pedal would be done at the end of Sept. It's Jonathan Cummins from Montreal if that helps. I'm dying to give this puppy a run.

10. derek2615

derek2615 Member

:rotflmao

Wait a minute! Mine was in March... :jo

11. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

I like my Tim for a solo boost with the AC30. My main OD with it is the Hotcake...it gets me the "exploding AC30" sound best.

12. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

:nono :D Dont scare me like that!!

13. Stressfest

Stressfest Member

I find it a little more neutral than the Hotcake. It's a very pure signal to my ears...kinda like a more transparent Cot50 with a volume control for a lack of a better way to describe it...similar to the Lo but with more gain on tap. I haven't tried it with anything other than my AC30 yet...i tend to use lovepedals for my big gig rig and the Carb for the vintage AC30 vibe.
    I wouldn't see any point in comparing the Tim/Timmy to the Carb...totally different beasts imho.

14. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

I agree about that pure signal comment. Definatly true. Do you find the clarity increases as you roll the guitar volume up? I do. Kind like rolling the volume back on my fuzz. It's strange in that way. Sorry to hi-jack you're thread bionic.

I ordered my timmy on March 22nd.