Tim and Timmy Questions

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by toneman335, Jun 26, 2008.

1. toneman335

toneman335 Member

I did look to see if there was another post but I didn't see it. So here are my questions:

. Compare and contrast the Tim and Timmy pedals tonally.
    . What is special about the Tim and Timmy that other pedals don't do?
    . Are there any other pedals that are similar or the same as the Tim and the Timmy?

Thanks for your insight

2. brianf

brianf Member

I just got both last week. I much prefer the Tim as it has a separate boost feature and an effects loop. (Don't know if I'll ever use it).

It also has more ummmph to my ears.

I would just order both. Choose which you like best and put the other up for sale on the emporium. You will get back what you paid for.

brianf

3. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Silver Supporting Member

my Timmy and a bone stock Boss OD-3 can be very, very close to each other, with the Timmy obviously having more control over tonality, clipping, etc.

4. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

you're joking, right?

5. giggedy

giggedy Member

!!!

6. sandman

sandman Member

No, he ain't.

7. SouthernShred

why would I joke? Listen with your ears, not with the name written on the outside of the box. The Timmy is a great pedal, but if you're on a budget...the OD-3 can do similar tones. *shrug*

8. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Look for a video review of the Tim pedal in a few weeks!

9. PaulC

PaulC Member

For the record the tim/timmys are not based on, nor are they a tweaked version of the OD3.

Regards, PaulC
    myspace.com/paulcaudio

10. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

if you're willing to wait a few weeks the timmy isn't even that much more expensive than the boss... and its not about the name, im not a boss hater, and i had an od-3 for a while. but if you're playing through a good tube amp with a nice guitar the sparkle and clarity of the timmy is unmatched by most other high and higher end ODs imo... let alone a stock od-3. not trying to start a flame war or anything, the boss is fine, call me an elitist or whatever but i've drunk the kool-aid on the tim/timmy and would urge anyone in the market for an OD to be patient, save up the dough, give Paul a ring, and don't go the budget route. ymmv.

11. E Baxter Put

E Baxter Put Member

I agree that the Timmy can sound like an OD-3. I also think the BJF Honey Bee can sound like an OD-3.

But the Timmy and HB can do many more cool tones as well.

Tonally I didn't notice much difference between the tone of the Timmy and Tim. I liked the Timmy a bit better.

What I think is special about the tim/my is that the guitar tone stays pretty much intact when gain is added, and the eq is very useful. It's still not as good as amp OD, but it is a GREAT booster, and I love to put it before fuzz or an overdriven amp.

12. sandman

sandman Member

Timmy on certain setting can be set to sound similar to OD-3 on certain setting. That's it. But what does similar mean? In fact some folks find OD-3 to be similar to KOT but with different EQ!

My point is OD-3's a damn fine pedal by itself.

Tim/my on the other hand takes the whole concept of an OD pedal to another level.

13. brianf

brianf Member

OK. I just did the A.B. Yup. Quite similar for sure.

brianf

14. SouthernShred

FWIW Paul, I wasn't trying to infer your pedal was based on an OD-3, but tonally there are some similarities at certain settings...I own a Timmy and love it and wouldn't trade it for anything. My apologies if it sounded like I was running down your pedal or accusing you of non-original work. I have a ton of respect for you.

15. PaulC

PaulC Member

The circuits are very different - looking at the schematic of the OD3 at schematic Heaven that pedal has 5x as many parts as mine. The od3 is a two stage unit using an opamp/diode clipper PLUS a jfet/diode clipping stage. Mine just uses a simple one stage clipper. The circuits are VERY VERY different.

BUT - there are so many ways to voice things, and if at some settings the EQ curves are close then things can sound a bit like each other. But turn the knobs and things will sound very different because the pedals are not the same things, and the controls are not doing the same things. Also there's the simple fact mine has two tone controls...It can sound very different.

If you think it sounds close that's fine - I just want it clear that I did not copy that circuit in any way.

I'm not sure of the release date on the OD3, but the on-line book shows a copywrite of 1997 - the same year I made the tim.

Regards, PaulC
    myspace.com/paulcaudio

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  16. mattthefiddler

mattthefiddler Member

So, I play a somewhat unique instrument... (electric violin).. that takes very careful equipment choice to get good tone.. as every good electric has incredibly bright piezo pickups that don't always have the best brought out by pedals.

and will be in Murfreesboro for a week to visit the inlaws over the 4th..

I am going to try to call Paul if he doesn't respond here first, but is he known for letting people stop by and try pedals, if he has any completed?... I would like to test the Tim and the Timmy next to each other....

[​IMG]