Tim and Timmy

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mario, Jan 15, 2006.

1. mario

mario Member

I have read so much in these threads about the Tim and Timmy pedals. Have never seen or heard either one. Just wondering what the difference is between the two and which is the better one.

2. jockman

jockman Member

I would LOVE to hear them as well, especially the tim, also, were does one buy one.?

3. Charles#5

Charles#5 Member

I haven't heard a Tim or Timmy myself, so I may be wrong, but it is my honest conviction, and I don't want to start a flame war, that the Tim and Timmy's praises are sung so loudly on these pages that it will be very hard for them to live up to the hype. My guess is that we will see a lot of Tim's and Timmy's in the Emporium later this year.

Cheers,

Johan.

4. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

first of all this "HYPE" has already lasted around a year (maybe longer), and second, a really easy way to get information on nearly anything we talked about here is by using the search function which is located at the top right of every section of this site. If you do a search on tim and the timmy, you will find the answer to your question with ease.

btw, if you get some rude responses, don't be suprised ... this question has been asked so much, and i just gets frustrating sometimes that no one uses the search function.

but good luck, and enjoy the gear page

PEACE, jon

5. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I also have never heard either of them, but my guess is the opposite. That it actually does live up to it. Reason I think that, I have NEVER seen as many people so hyped on a pedal in all these years, that actually owned the pedal, many who have had it for years.

And the closest I can come, pedals that had about half this much praise, were all great pedals.

I'm sure some folks will buy too far into it and may be dissapointed as you say, but objectively I have no doubt there is something really special about these pedals that I bet surprises most who are thinking it is going to be fantastic.

Still, there are a few folks that have had them and said "I don't see what the big deal is, it's nice, but..." which may be their style, rig, or just plain...we all want different sounds sometimes.

Tell you what, you buy one, and buy one for me and we'll see who's right?

Address upon request :)

6. jockman

jockman Member

I aggree with stomp' The pedal has been hyped for a long time,and barley a bad word said, I also agree that your own setup has a huge amount to play in the final sound outcome.
    Still would love to hear one though, I can't seem to find any clips USING THE SEARCH button.

7. Charles#5

Charles#5 Member

Well, if a Tim or Timmy should cross my path and the price is right (i.e. no more than what they cost new), then I certainly would buy it and find out for myself what the hype is all about. However, I won't go out of my way to get one, and I'm not getting up in the middle of the night to call Paul Cochrane and order one on the phone. I'm sure he's busy as hell, and from what I hear he doesn't respond to e-mails, which I don't get, because taking orders by e-mail would be a lot less time-consuming than talking on the phone to every single person that wants to get a pedal from him.

Cheers,

Johan.

8. co-intelpro

co-intelpro Member

I have tried PMing and phoning about the TIM, however, I am having trouble contacting Paul C. about ordering one. Can someone help me out? Please PM me.

9. jockman

jockman Member

+1, I would say he is a VERY busy man.

10. fatback

fatback Member

Search the forum for Tim or Timmy and you'll find a ton of info. Paul C., the man responsible for the new line of Heritage amps, designed and builds the Tim/Timmy pedals with his wife as a side buisiness in his spare time. They are only available direct from Paul and depending on his schedule, may involve getting on a pre-build list. Once again, do a search for the contact info.

(It's that Namm time of year, and Paul is slammed, so don't expect much communication till ealy Feb.)

Differences?

The Tim has an adjustable boost and a loop to add other pedals when you turn on the Tim.

The Timmy is smaller, cheaper, slightly gainier, and doesn't have the boost or loop.

These pedals are no new fad on this board. Folks have been playing and singing these pedals praises for over a year, but the only way to know if they will work for you is to give it a try with your rig, fingers, and ears. These pedals show up on the emporium from time to time, like most nice pedals, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a lot of them to start to appear later this year.

The bottom line is:
    The Tim and Timmy are nicley voiced medium/low gain o.d. pedals that are well made and reasonably priced.

I love mine, but ...your own hype may vary.;)

11. jockman

jockman Member

12. grego7

grego7 has left the building Gold Supporting Member

13. devbro

devbro Member

Sheesh,:rolleyes:
    I think we need to add a "tim / timmy" forum. I've never seen so much redundant posting on any board in my life. :horse

I think the request for an archive fell on deaf ears.

14. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

paul doesn't want it to be archived, he's addressed that issue many times, and people still seem to keep pushing for it.

15. mario

mario Member

Hope I did not start any bad feelings. The info is great and I hope to try one of these pedals.

16. drolling

drolling Member

When I last spoke to Paul, he was NAMM bound, so I wouldn't bother trying to order till Feb. I get the impression his computer's less than state of the art, plus he told me his modem had "blown up" and he hadn't been online for a while. So forget about e-mail.

Yes, his business model's far from conventional, and as another poster said, I don't see him working this way indefinitely - So I just got back on the list for another Timmy (it's versatile enough to have two on the same board) which is the first time in 35 years I've ever bought 2 of anything!

Also ordered a Tim, mainly to explore using the built-in loop for some old, noisey, non-true-bypass pedals.

Paul's a hard working guy who tends to be optimistic when estimating turn-around time. I waited a long time for the call back last time, and I'll be very surprised if I actually hear from him in February. But he keeps meticulous records of who called, and when.

The guy's a complete blast to talk to, but once I've placed an order, I just let it go, and wait for him to call me. If you reach his wife, she'll be sure to get your name & number to Paul, but don't start grilling her w/technical questions - believe it or not, she's not much of a gearhead.

Anyway, I've got some killer stuff over the last year- all of it based on info I picked up here @TGP. But Timmy's the only thing that's actually gone beyond my expectations. Way beyond...

17. grego7

grego7 has left the building Gold Supporting Member

You know what, you're right. I've edited my original post to just include the link to the clips.

Wow, how about those steelers?

18. steeeve

steeeve Member

My Timmy is a monumental achievement for what I needed from an OD pedal. The hype isn't enough, imo.

The bottom line: Call Paul. Get on the list. It's worth the wait.

19. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

The Tim, and Timmy are my favorite pedals. The hype has been going on for longer than a year and I think it's well deserved. By the way (drolling) I think you end up loving the Tim more than the Timmy. I just love my Tim and haven't been kicking on the Timmy at all, because I don't need to. The Tim is like having two Timmy's. But I'm still keeping my Timmy's so don't ask..

Shane Pasqualla
    WET ANIMAL
    http://www.wetanimal

20. mario

mario Member

It sounds like the Tim is the one I would like. Thanks again for the info.This is a great site! Okay, who wants to sell a Tim?:rolleyes: