Tim Boost Uses.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DavidLopezJr, Dec 25, 2009.

1. DavidLopezJr

DavidLopezJr Member

What are you using your Tim's boost for? I'm deciding between getting a timmy or a tim atm. I'm thinking of using the boost to match the gain when i switch from humbuckers to single coils. (Dont get excited Paul, I wont call till Feburary :p)

2. csills

csills Member

i am also interested.

3. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

Bigger choruses. There's a slight volume boost when you engage the boost section...but it's more of a gain boost if anything. Set the main channel to a medium drive and the boost to something heavier.

4. dr.tdw

dr.tdw Member

I use the boost as a solo boost. I set the gain at 3:00 and tone on 7:00. This gives me just enough volume and gain punch to cut through the band when I need it. It sounds great, no other boost pedal required.

5. PWGuy

PWGuy Member

I just made the same decision (tim vs. timmy) and went with the tim for the gain boost. I won't need a 2nd pedal now to goose my main O/D! However, Paul wanted to make sure that I knew that the tim is approx 2 3/4" in *height*. Given how tall the pedal is, I am thinking it'll probably be thrown to the back/top of my board but then the footswitch might be tough to get to :(. I dunno - oh well, gonna give it a shot and see what happens.

BTW, I am more of a rhythm player and will probably use the boost more for certain songs where I need more crunch than the standard setting that I'll have the Tim at.

6. Prairie Belt

Prairie Belt Member

I bought a Tim first with the idea of using the boost section for solos, but it didn't work as well for that. To me, the boost section was more for extra gain, not really volume. I traded it for a Timmy. Works great as a low OD, and I can use another boost pedal to get a lead tone I like.

7. clc12rock

clc12rock Member

+1. I still have my Tim but wish I had a Timmy to put on my PT-Mini. It's more of a size thing for me, but I'm also not a big fan of the Tim boost section. If I could go back, I'd get a Timmy with the clipping and compression switches on the outside.

8. DavidLopezJr

DavidLopezJr Member

9. Prairie Belt

Prairie Belt Member

I should add that if pedal board space was not an issue, I would have stuck with the Tim. The extra gain from the boost section sounded great and was useful whenever I needed just a little more. I just prefer smaller boards so it made sense to me to get the Timmy.

10. lespauldoc

lespauldoc Member

I agree with some of the others....

I am a church musician that plays mostly rhythm with maybe 1 solo a set. The normal channel is my crunch channel (cleans well with turning down the guitar's volume knob). Then I use the boost channel (which has a gain and tone knob, not volume boost) with a hint more gain for the leads........ or if needed, as a more distorted drive.
    It is a fairly large pedal. But I think it adds to the mystery of all the "tone gnomes" living in it.

11. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

the tone gnomes work their magic on the boost side.... on small boards i use the TIM as a drive and solo boost, on large boards i set up the boost for thicker rythym stuff. i think teh second stage of the TIM is extremely useful.

12. bettset

bettset Member

i like the tim. i use it as a stand alone drive. i like it best with a fender style amp. very nice :munch

13. coot tone

coot tone Member

I had a Tim and a Timmy on my board at the same time. I thought I'd use the Tim for solos and the Timmy as a slight rhythm boost...I eventually sold the Tim and kept the Timmy. Both are great pedals, but the Tim met my needs the best.

Timmy and the KOT Red Side High Gain Mod pedal are incredible together.

14. Frenster

Frenster Put your Rock Face on!

That sounds like a good idea. You'd be able to match the output gain a bit better I think. Worth a try.

I too thought I'd use the boost for solos, but I miss the midrange, so I use a KOT or Klon or Zendrive or something for solos.

I'm currently using a channel switching amp now and use the Tim or Timmy as the hair on the clean channel and a gain boost on the drive channel. I always seem to have one or the other on my board. I'd never sell either of them. An absolute modern classic, IMHO. Bravo to Paul for keeping them moderately priced. Integrity.

15. TenneyThe2nd

TenneyThe2nd Member

TIM is my lead boost, so I save the boost section of it for those rare times when I need more. It works great for those moments when things are getting loud and I get covered up by the band.