Tim FX loop question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Tone, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Tone

Tone Member

Hey guys I got a quick question that's been bothering me. I tried to search for answers but did'nt really come up with anything.

I've been reading up on the Tim pedal, and it's been suggested many times to use a EQ pedal in it's loop to get great versatility out of it to dial in any amp/guitar combo. When you have something in it's loop and kick the Tim pedal on, does this activate whatever is in it's loop too, or do you have to step on that separately? If I had say a delay in the Tim's loop, when I kick on the Tim for a solo or something would the delay be there too?

And since the Tim is true bypass, does this mean that whatever I have in it's loop is bypassed when the Tim is off, even if the pedal in the loop is not true bypass?

Oh, and I've seen two prices being listed for these. One was $155 and the other was $185. I seen this reading through a thread about them being sold for more than they are new by some. Can anyone tell me what the real price of one new is? I know I could call PaulC but I did'nt want to bother with a simple question. :)

Thanks!:JAM :BluesBros

2. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Supporting Member

The loop is completely within the circuit of the pedal:

input--overdrive circuit--loop--output

Therefore if you have say a delay in the loop, it will only be active when the Tim is on. It's nice in that you can have multiple things come on at once. Hope this helps!

3. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

There was a thread about this exact question like 2 nights ago by MichaelE should be easy to find in the search.

4. Tone

Tone Member

Thanks for the heads up, I'll try to find it.:AOK

5. Fernando

Fernando Member

If you put a delay in the fx loop it will only work when the TIM is on. BUT, the delay itself will have to be on too, as you're probably aware. The deal is to aways keep the pedals in the fx loop on, so all you have to do is switch the TIM on to get the other effects as well. With the TIM bypassed, you'll have al the pedals in the loop "true bypassed" too, no matter if they're not true bypass or even if they're switched on.

The price of the TIM is US$ 150 + Shipping. As far as I know, shipping for continental US is usually US$5. Paul charged me US$ 10 to ship the pedal to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, which is quite below a reaonable shipping price, considering the fees US online stores have charged me before.

6. drolling

drolling Member

I've had Timmy for a few days now, and I can't for the life of me, figure out why I didn't order a Tim as well/instead. The loop feature alone would be very useful for adding some real tone-suckers to my signal chain.

I just don't see very much written here about Tim, compared to the almost daily rave reviews of Timmy. Anyway, had a little chat w/Paul last night to put in an new order for Tim & another Timmy to be used w/the dip switches up.

We got to talking about the "amp-like" quality of Timmy, and I asked him if being an amp designer (he's been working round-the-clock crating prototypes for NAMM) helped him to voice the pedal.

Being the real down to earth guy that he is, he told me thay all he was trying to do was design a boost/od that doesn't get in the way of the amp by smothering the original tone.

We didn't get into the old "transparency" cliche, but I think that if there ever was a transparent, amp-like pedal, Timmy is it. Probably explains why it works so everything I've thrown at it; 6V6, 6L6, EL84/34s w/humbucker & single coil guitars.

And when I get Tim, I'll be able to pull some of my ancient non-TB pedals out of retirement...

7. teleblaster

teleblaster Supporting Member

The FX output on the Tim can work as an a/b into a two channel amp as well.When the tim is engaged you would have the two chanels bridged for extra tone shaping. When disengaged back to the normal channel. Very cool pedal.

8. 1968

1968 Member

Bit OT- but where can I find out more about the TIM?? I can't find any websites..

9. drolling

drolling Member

No site as yet. Tim & Timmy are built by Paul Cochrane in his spare time. Call him @ home to order. His number's available thru' search function here.

10. 1968

1968 Member

Yeah I thought that might be the case.. cheers.

11. Tone

Tone Member

Thanks!
    That is just what I was looking for.:JAM

12. Tone

Tone Member

Hey guys I got one more quickie.
    Since the Tim only has footswitches for boost, and bypass, is the "bypass" switch the on/off for the first stage?

13. Fernando

Fernando Member

14. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Supporting Member

The boost is not seperate, but embedded within the circuit. It changes out the bass control and drive controls (allowing you to have more gain in the overdrive circuit). You cannot have boost seperately, just like a fulldrive, or hbe powerscreamer. Bypass bypasses everything.

Angle Loss