Tim or Timmy + PaulC Fat Boostard?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by CaseyI, Jul 31, 2008.

1. CaseyI

CaseyI Member

So, I currently have a Tim purchaesd new from PaulC, which i adore. I was thinking about getting a Carl Martin Octaswitch or the like. My 2 main OD pedals are the Tim and Fulldrive II which both are both double footswitch pedals. There is a downside to this when using a swithcing device like the gigrig or octaswitch that you have to have those pedals easily accessable even when doing program changes.

So, being a little bit of a DIY type I was thinking that a Timmy plus a PaulC Fat Boostard (DIY project that is the boost side of the Tim...not a production pedal) would be a good way to go. This would give essentially a both channels of the Tim but could be controlled by a switcher. What do ya think?

BTW, IIRC the fat boostard schematic was made available by PaulC so we don't need to get into the whole cloning debate.

2. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

Sounds like a nice set-up to use if you're after the Octa.
    I'd still put up the Tim and hold onto it though.

3. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Supporting Member

Hey Casey, just fyi, the Fat Boostard or Bastard as he originally called it isn't based off the Tim. It is a JFET booster whereas the TIM is an opamp pedal. I love PaulC's designs. The feel of the FB will be a bit different than the Tim. I encourage you to build the FB and compare before you sell the Tim. I tried taking my Timmy off my board once...it hasn't happened again :AOK

4. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

I've built 3 FB's. The third one is giving me a little trouble (it's a little dark) but they are great boosters. I love having the ability to really brighten up or get really dark with the boost.

the thing can really let you stand out in the mix without coloring your sound much. Plus, they cost practically nothing to build and it's a super simple circuit.

5. sandman

sandman Member

is Fat Boostard/Bastard(or whatever) one knob boost or...?

6. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

volume, gain, treble, bass