Tim or Timmy to replace SD-1?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by judsonabts, Sep 13, 2008.

1. judsonabts

judsonabts Member

I have a Super Duper 2 in 1 by Z Vex... So I am covered as far as a clean boost..

I want to replace my SD-1 Boss Overdrive with something boutiquey and more expensive because its fun...

So I think i've settled on the TIM or TIMMY

I can't find any info about either online through google etc...

what does the tim have that timmy does not?

since i already have a beautiful clean boost, do I need a TIM?

2. TheLemon

TheLemon Senior Member

The Tim has a boost section including a drive knob(push-pull for two types of clipping) and tone knob, and an EQ in and out.

The Timmy is the main channel of the Tim but has more clipping options.

3. Burgs

Burgs Member

This manual will explain all.

4. kersh13

kersh13 Member

What is the price difference in the two?

5. traynor_garnet

traynor_garnet Member

FWIW, the Tim and the SD-1 are not similar sounding pedals. Strangely, a boutique SD-1 doesn't exist on the market.

TG

6. judsonabts

judsonabts Member

but the asymmetrical clipping is, from what i can tell, what i like about the sd-1.. isn't timmy asymetrical?

7. Laxrappa11

Laxrappa11 Member

the timmy has internal dip switches that allow you to change the clipping between asymmetrical and symmetrical, and with the asymetrical setting you can choose which side of the wave gets clipped.

8. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

9. Brad J

Brad J Member

If you dig your current clean boost then go the Timmy, I found I wasn't kicking on the boost in the Tim at all, preferred my other boosts, plus the Timmy sounds great in asymmetrical mode.

10. judsonabts

judsonabts Member

yeah, for space on board i think i want Timmy...

now, its just a matter of getting one/finding one

11. JoePops22

JoePops22 Member

I believe the only way to order one of Paul's pedals continues to be via a phone call:

615-896-8555
    :)

12. kersh13

kersh13 Member

I called and ordered mine earlier today! He said it should be around January before it gets here.

13. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Actually there are dozens and dozens. The SD-1 is very nearly a part for part clone of the tube screamer. The only real difference is the asymmetrical clipping which can be found as an option on alot of TS clones.

14. sandman

sandman Member

Tim really ain't that bigger footprint, you'll dig the boost. Get one!

15. judsonabts

judsonabts Member

isn't that a fairly major thing–the asymmetrical?

16. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Not really. In symmetrical clipping you have 2 diodes, one in each direction. With asymmetrical you add 1 or more diodes to one side. The difference in tone/texture is subtle. The TS mid hump is NOT subtle and will be the first obvious similarity you notice in a side by side comparison. The SD-1 is a very, very slightly modified TS.

Besides as i said many TS clones have a switch to let you choose between these the 2 clipping modes.

17. judsonabts

judsonabts Member

so, considering how similar the SD-1 is to a TS, and considering I have to wait months for a Timmy, is the Timmy still the way to go ya think?

18. sandman

sandman Member

clipping alone does not make one pedal similar to another.

Tim/my are doing a completely different thing than SD-1/TS or whatever middy OD pedals...

My Tim's got all 3 clipping options - like Timmy - and while changes are noticeable don't expect a whole different pedal just by changing a clipping.
    I use them to achieve same/similar sounds/feel at different amp volume levels.
    EQ on Paul's stuff is a lot more powerful tool...

There are tons of detailed Timmy threads to relax, :munchand read...or you can call the man himself. He'll tell you straight up if it's what YOU want or not.

19. traynor_garnet

traynor_garnet Member

Nope, all the TS stuff sounds very different than the SD-1 to me. It's not just the type of clipping (although it certainly makes a difference). The SD-1 is voiced differently and doesn't have the mid-hump. One of my pet peeves is how many SD-1 mod kits change the pedal into a TS; the world simply doesn't need another TS! :)

Regarding the OP, if the Timmy sounds anything like the TIM (which I own) it won't replace your SD-1.

TG

20. Kapo_Polenton

Kapo_Polenton Member

the bad monkey could be considered a boutique SD-1. Side by side the Monkey retains more bass, is quieter, and gives me more top endy crunch because of the eq. Maybe not a Tim but my JCM800 seems to like it the best of the lot and i have messed with a blues driver, SD-1, BB preamp (which i still also like) DOD YJM, and EQ pedal.