Tim or Timmy?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jrm, Dec 28, 2005.

1. jrm

jrm Member

Hey everyone:

So as I'm researching this baord to try and find pedals to build a new pedalboard, I've been coming across the Tim pedal a bunch. It seems like it is an awesome pedal! However, can anyone advise if it would work well in my situation? I have an 01 les paul standard (with a 'sd59 and a JB) that I play through a Mesa Rectoverb. Currently if I use any effects, its all done with my podxt.. which I want to move away from. I don't really need any hair metal distortion tones, I think I just need a good overdrive tht will help me develop some great rock tones. Does anyone have experience with this setup? Any advice? I guess if I ever needed more gain from the pedals I could stack it with a tube screamer or something, but how would the tim/timmy react with my gear? And what's the main advantages of having a tim over a timmy (or vice versa)? Thanks everyone? I love how helpful this board is!

-jon-

2. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Supporting Member

Good question, what's the advantages of a Tim over a Timmy and vise versa? I'd like to know too.

3. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

Tim, or Timmy is one of those pedals that works with any amp or configuration. I would guarentee you'll love it with what you have. Use the search function and you will find all the info you need about the Tim, or Timmy.

Shane Pasqualla
    WET ANIMAL
    http://www.wetanimal.net

4. jockman

jockman Member

Is there a website for these pedals, can I hear clips?
    Seems to me that this pedal is either going to be stunningly brilliant or VERY over hyped.
    Would love to hear it for myself, they are not available in the UK.

Jon

5. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

i doubt their over hyped, sincethe "hype" has lasted for a year now

6. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

No Hype, no website, just a guy that makes these out of his house. He does work for Heritage Amps as a day job, so he knows what sound waves are all about. The hype from this pedal is from hundreds of satisfied customers that own the Tim, or Timmy. I haven't found a person yet that didn't like the Tim, or Timmy.

Shane Pasqualla
    WET ANIMAL

7. jockman

jockman Member

There you go, I learned something, I thought at least a website. Thanks for the info.
    So... soundclips? And how do you get in touch with him?

Jon

8. fuzzyratfarts

fuzzyratfarts Member

Whats the difference in the two pedals??

9. jrm

jrm Member

i've done a search about the differences, and honeslty my mind doesn't wrap around the technical nuances too well. It seems the Tim has an extra gain stage, is larger, and the Timmy has some different chips in it. Though they sound similar, I'm sure there is some difference! Anyone? Glad to hear that I would like it with my setup. Any other input?

10. Craise

Craise Member

Short Version,
    Tim and Tim have the same circuit, and both cover 98% the same ground. But the Tim is like a Timmy broken in half with two gain stages. Tim also has extra tone and gain pots for 2nd higher gain stage. Also Tim has a effects loop on the 2nd stage. This allows you to put another pedal (delay, phase) in the loop and when you step on the 2nd stage it ingages the 2nd stage gain and the pedal/pedals in the loop. The TIM and TIMMY are the real deal no hype. It's so good I hooked up my friend Lee Renoldo (Sonic Youth) and Adrian Belew with ones. :)

Me and Adrian

Me Introducing Adrian to Paul C.
    [​IMG]

Adrian Checking out the TIM
    [​IMG]

Me and Lee (Lee liked the TIM better than his klon)
    [​IMG]

:dude:dude:dude:dude:dude:dude:dude:dude:dude:dude

Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  11. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

The TIM has an effects loop for extra EQ if you want, and has a boost function. Timmy has neither and is in a smaller casing. I own both a TIM and Timmy, and personally I like the TIM better. Tonally they're pretty much a dead match, but I find the Timmy to be a hair bit fuzzier than TIM. Both pedals are lower to medium overdrives. I use mine with a clean tone for a touch of grit or hair. I've never used mine for heavier stuff though. Maybe someone else who has can chime in?

12. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

Paul Cochrane and call after 7:00 PM central standard US time. 615-896-8555. I have no sound clips, and the wait is around two months or more. He has 200 on the list right now. The difference between the two is the Tim has a Boost switch that raises the gain for solo's, and it's in a bigger box, and you can ajust the level and gain of the boost side. The Timmy is in the MXR box and has dip switches inside to change the compression. On the Tim there is knobs that pull out to change the compression. Please do a search because I hate typing. He He..

Shane Pasqualla
    WET ANIMAL

13. will132

will132 Member

Have both and prefer the TIM pedal over the Timmy..I love it for the clean boost alone.

14. jrm

jrm Member

Thanks gentlemen.. that info is very helpful. So since the Tim has two gain stages, does that mean that i can set one as a clean boost and then one as an actual overdrive that adds dirt to my tone? Sorry, I know I should know this kind of stuff, but honestly, I've never delved into the world of pedals so this is still a learning stage for me. That effects loop option sounds pretty cool!

15. MAZ

MAZ Member

jrm- the two stages are not independent of one another... so they can't be set up *really* clean and *really* dirty for the most part... here's the quote from the TIM manual about it:

The boost isn't really a two channel type of circuit. It's ment to kick the gain up if the normal gain control cranked isn't enough. It controls a different part of the circuit when turned on - it's not swapping out the other gain control - it works with it to change the circuit into a hi gain thing. The tone control lets you sweep the low end around a bit when the boost is cranked.

16. jrm

jrm Member

so does having that extra kick really noticeable? Thanks for the info from the manual, that is exactly the kidn of info I was hoping for!

17. PaulC

PaulC Member

Take that picture down! God I look fat in it!!!!!!!!!!

But being serious for a minute - the pedals are not for everybody, and there are alot of people who don't like the pedals for the same reasons others do. Since you can't hear one in a store before you buy it I have a full weeks trial with a full refund. That includes guys buying from over the pond. So that way you're not out anything if it doesn't do what you'd hoped for.

But here's a question for the guys who have had both Tim's and Timmy's. I'm thinking of going back to the same value gain pot in Timmy that is used in the Tim. It gives it better control on the cleaner side of things, and knocks down the max gain a bit. Pretty much what the gain is now at about 2-3 o'clock is what you'd have cranked - it would lose about 3 numbers on a 1-10 scale. Maybe??

Thanks for all the kind words! Later, Paul

18. teleblaster

teleblaster Supporting Member

The Tims boost is like having two flavors of the same od. The boost side is brighter and gritty and pushes the threshold of medium od. Ive had mine for a year and iam still finding tones in it.The pull -out knob changes things alot in the boost function, kinda like a presence control overdriver character.I never see the Tim F/S used anymore. I saw a few when the Timmy was being first introduced.I am sure you would like a Tim pedal.
    Peace ~ :D ~ Teleblaster.

19. jrm

jrm Member

thanks Paul (!) and teleblaster.. that is good to hear. Teleblaster, do you every play live in CO? It might be benneificial to come here you sometime, especially if you use these pedals live!

20. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

Hey PaulC,

I think your idea of changing the Timmy pots back to the Tim's is right on! :dude