Tim Owners: Favorite pedal for loop???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bobbymack, Sep 16, 2006.

1. bobbymack

bobbymack Supporting Member

I've been using a Sniper modded Boss GE-7 EQ in the loop of my Tim for lead boost, and it works fairly well. When I spoke to Paul C way back when, he said he put the loop into the pedal with an EQ in mind...

I'm curious though, what do you guys like to use in the loop? My Tim is last in my chain, and is always on, set pretty clean...makes the amp sound alive like a Super Hardon...

I've been thinking of trying a Klon, Honey Bee, or maybe a COT 50 in the loop for a real nice dirty boosted lead tone. I sometimes use a zendrive or RAT up front in the chain for dirty rhythm tones...

Any thoughts or suggestions??

2. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

I tried a HB in the TIM loop and thought it was really cool-the harmonic sweetness of the HB filled in the open graininess of the TIM well.

Only problem was that I needed to acccess the HB on its own also.

For me I do think the loop would be more useful if it engaged with the TIM boost channel only. I want the open TIM sound for rhythm but want to sweeten & fill-in that for lead.

3. chrisgraff

chrisgraff Member

I've got an older TIM, without the loop. I liked stacking it over various OD's. With an AC30, the magic ticket for me was:

Keeley comp-->Hotcake-->TIM

YMMV

4. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

Wondering this as well - as i'm expecting my Tim any day now.

So the loop is on as long as the Tim is on? Regardless of which switch is engaged? So how does adding something like another OD to the loop make the Tim better? Are you not using the Tim as an OD?

I have a Timmy now - and I use it mostly as a clean boost, mild grit or I leave it on all the time to sweeten up the tone a bit. I'd like for the Tim (once it comes) to replace my FD2 as my clean boost/ low gain OD (I use my Mesa and Rat for gainy stuff) and leave the Timmy on all the time (or consider picking up another SHO for this function)

I ave been gassing for a MDEQ, and the thought of this in the loop sounds interesting, however, I wanted one to use at the beginning of my chain - what exactly does the EQ in the loop do (above the normal EQ controls?)

Brian

5. bobbymack

Yes, the loop is active when the Tim is on. I use my Tim as you are using your Timmy, and it is on 95% of the time. The EQ in the loop obviously allows you to tailor the sound further, but as importantly for me serves as a volume / gain boost which is very handy to help solos etc cut through the mix.

I'm just looking for something that will add the gain boost but also a different color / more distorted tone for soloing...

You can just swap your Tim with your Timmy and go from there...

6. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

Well, with 2 A/B boxes and a looper you could still do it :jo

You could set up the HB on a single loop. That gets it out of the single chain. You run the loop into an A/B box, then into the HB, then into a second A/B box then back to the looper. Then, you hook the Tim loop up to the input and outputs of the A/B boxes and "walah", Purely ridiculous loop. :NUTS

at that point of wackiness, your better off just owning two HB's...

7. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Or hoping Paul builds a true double pedal with the TIM/Timmy openess on the rhythm side and a lead side with a thicker more harmonically rich tonality.

A double Timmy that I could run with two different chips and different clipping DIP switch options would pretty much have it covered actually.

8. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

1 box instead of 5... hmmm... sounds alot better to me :roll

9. bobbymack

So a Honeybee sounds sweet. Anything else???