Tim Pedal (or Timmy) - all is right with the world again!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mude, Feb 8, 2008.

1. mude

mude Supporting Member

I was briefly without a Tim (or a Timmy). It was almost 24 hours without one. Yikes!

I went from having 2 Tim pedals and a Timmy to having none. I decided that I did not need all three (which was very reasonable starting point of course) and listed one Tim pedal for sale. It sold. I had mentioned that I had more than one Tim/Timmy and somehow sold the Timmy and got involved in a trade that caused me to lose my last Tim pedal. :eek:

I have 2 gigs this week and have not been without a Tim/Timmy for years. Not sure what I was thinking as I packed and shipped them away. I probably had been planning on using a LoveKraft, but sold those (and an Eternity) this week as well.

I started scouring the board for a quick replacement. I briefly thought about picking up a Barber LTD as I have liked them before (I generally use the Tim for clean boost and low/medium gain stuff). The prices are right for Barber stuff and they are very good IMO (have a Direct Drive and a Tone Press still). I tend to run pretty simple relatively clean amps and drive them with pedals. A Tim/Timmy has been a long time staple of the boards I have run.

Then, out of the corner of my eye (well mostly just being dramatic I guess), I noticed a Tim for sale locally (but listed on this board). A PM, a phone call, a short drive and.........................a Tim is back in my paws.

I have not plugged it in yet, but.........................things are right with the pedal world again.

Evan.

2. giggedy

giggedy Member

3. KazJY

KazJY Member

I love hearing stuff like this - I ordered mine in late August, so the phone call should be coming shortly. Keeps my spirits up. ;)

4. mude

mude Supporting Member

I think I have had a half dozen of them (Tim or Timmy) over the years. If you are willing to wait, they are a tremendous bargain IMO. If you can't and buy them used, they are still a heck of a pedal. I have yet to find anything that does what it does as well for my needs. Believe me, I have tried (and would be happy to find something that I like better). Like anything, it depends on what you match it up with, but in the right context, it really is fantastic.

I also love it when I find something like Barber than can be had used for under $100 and I still think is great. For me, the Tim, Timmy and Barber stuff are some of the best values around.

Evan.

5. Jay Strange

Jay Strange Member

Love that Tim pedal, makes a sweet amp sweeter and a mediocre amp better:D

6. jcshirke

jcshirke Silver Supporting Member

I have a Tim and Timmy. I could match either of them with a variety of AC30s, a Germino Lead 55, a Tone King Meteor II, and a soon-to-be-released Fender-ish style boo-teek amp from Psionicaudio.

I'm thinking of selling one of them and keeping the other. I really haven't messed with either pedal in quite some time (which is why I'm contemplating selling one). Any suggestions on which pedal/amp combos I should try again in earnest before making my decision? Also, in general, which of the two pedals do people prefer--and why?

Thanks,

Jeff

7. dr.tdw

dr.tdw Member

Not having a Tim! Now that's the scariest story I've heard in awhile. The Tim is essential to my sound. I can no longer imagine playing without it.

TDW

8. HereIGoAgain

HereIGoAgain Member

Uh oh! You found out that you needed.....

Another "Timmy!"

*pink baby dinosaur LHAO*

Just how long is the lead time for a new Timmy now?

9. Frenster

Frenster Put your Rock Face on!

That was my dilemma tonight on the gig! I had my FUDD (modified LDO clone) and my PureDrive (excellent), but I still missed the smoothness of my Tim. It just suits me. Paul has it right now...putting in a couple of mini toggles, Timmy style.

Can't wait to have it back home between the FUDD and the volume pedal.

Paul!!!....

10. xroads

xroads Member

I have a Timmy in front of a Carr Rambler. It really excels for low gain crunch sounds when playing chords. It is so transparent, sometimes I don't even remember that it's on, as it feels like an amp. Try to change the internal trimmers (asymmetric,symmetric clipping) if you are not happy with the sound.

11. Sixa

Sixa Member

What the F**K were you thinking, selling both the Tim and Timmy. :NUTS
    I could NEVER part with mine ( I own both ).
    Glad to hear that you got one back, now don't make that mistake again.:nono :AOK

Good luck Evan.

12. mude

mude Supporting Member

Yeah, I got carried away. I started with 3 of them and knew that I did not need them all. So, I posted to sell one of them and then got an offer on the Timmy as well. Since I was trying to rasie some money, I figured I could live with just a Tim. Then, a fun trade popped up and..............I don't know what I was thinking actually!

If I had a decent low gain pedal around, I probably would have lasted at least a week, but I had just gone on a big pedal sell off (selling both a LoveKraft Mojo Drive and Chupacabra, and an Eternity). If I had a Barber LTD, I might have sat tight for a bit and enjoyed the change. But nooooooooooo.

I'm just glad I found a good local soul that took pity and me and was VERY fair. I slept well last night. :)

I have 2 acoustics and probably should sell one (hope I don't sell them both by mistake as I have an acoustic gig in two weeks). :jo

Evan.

13. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

I have two Timmys, they are not going anywhere.

14. kikujiro0208

kikujiro0208 Member

[​IMG]

I use them both, the Timmy for low gain and assymetrically clipped...

15. rastaman

rastaman Member

Didn't mean to turn your world upside down ;).