1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Tim Question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Heady Jam Fan, May 22, 2011.

1. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

I am currently thinking about buying a used Tim and was looking at it - it seems rare to see a OD / Boost pedal with an effect loop. The description of how this works is vague, but I assume it is there so that other pedals, possibly another OD, can be in series between the OD section of the Tim and the Boost section?

I was also thinking about other ways this adds versatility to the pedal. For example, I suspect you could run a patch cable from the output to the input of the Tim and plug the guitar into the effect receive, effect send goes to amp, resulting in putting the boost in front of the OD, right?

I just thought it was cool how it is two pedals in one and still can be utilized that way because of the loop.

2. Agreed

Agreed Member

Paul explained it to me when I got the Tim a few years back that the effects loop is just that, a loop at the end of the circuit. His original vision was you could put an EQ in it to further shape the tone, iirc. I never ended up using mine, but I did think about it. If you were using the Tim as a solo boost, you could stick your favorite effect and an EQ in there and have instant solo tone in one step, but it seems most people like it more as an always-on, and as such the loop may just kind of be "there" for many. I'm perfectly satisfied with my Tim never having used the loop for anything, personally, I think the separate boost function that gives it a nice little kick-in capability is a good enough reason to employ it over the Timmy. (But I own both, and like both!)

3. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Yea, I figured that had to be how the loop works. Would an eq sound much different in the loop between the OD and boost circuit rather than just after the pedal? Either way, it is cool that it can be used like two separate pedals. I prefer the Timmy's enclosure size, but I really like the separate boost as well, I have found myself using pretty much all of my pedals for boost since I have upgraded my amp situation, so either always on or solo boost, it sounds very useful to me.

I also think the Tim, for some reason, sounds a bit warmer/fuller than the Timmy... which makes no sense, but I that is what I hear and I think some other people have mentioned that in threads too.

4. Agreed

Agreed Member

I don't think the Tim's boost works like that. I will let Paul elaborate (and/or correct me, haha) if he wants, but I don't seem to recall it being distinct gain stages - that would make it A) functionally quite different from, and B) sound quite different from the Timmy, rather than both of them being able to sound pretty much the same if you dial the knobs in right. The Tim's gain knob maxed plus the boost is, more or less, the Timmy's full clipping, given the same settings on the clipping diodes switch/push-pull (so the Tim won't do asymmetrical, which could account for a difference if you use the Timmy either with the old two-switch setup and one switch on/the other off, or the newer revision which Paul made a bit simpler on the user by having asymmetrical go in the middle position of the external switch).

Basically I don't think the boost is really "separate," or else its gain and tone wouldn't be tied in so heavily with the gain and tone controls of the rest of it. But in a pedal that does have multiple gain stages, putting a filter between them has a profound impact on the sound. And putting an EQ either in front of or after a dirt pedal can have a profound impact on the sound. In front, it can fundamentally alter the clipping behavior because the gain stage(s) compress it all with the altered signal taken into account, so if you crank up the treble it will be especially rich in upper harmonics and pretty tight sounding, whereas boosting bass can make it flub out more if that's your style. An EQ after the gain stage(s)/clipping doesn't affect the character of the distortion, it just filters the output for more or less of your preferred frequencies.

I used to always use two EQ pedals, one in front of and one after my dirts. The one in front cut the heck out of bass. That made it so that low frequencies going in were much lower in signal, making it through the gain stages with less distortion of the low frequencies. The EQ after boosted the less distorted bass back up to be more audible... But stay tight, cleaner sounding, more aggressive and less flubby. It's an old trick, anyone who has had a history with Mesa amps will recognize the idea, but it worked wonders. Now I just have pedals that sound great without me having to do quite so much to get them there, so I've ditched the dual EQ thing, but for most people I'd say having at least one EQ on the board after your distortion at least is a good idea. If nothing else, it lets you quickly acclimate to room acoustics and other things in a live setting, making the sound guy's job easier (and hence making the sound guy less likely to accidentally or, you know, not so accidentally make you sound bad :eek:).

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  5. nh4589

nh4589 Member

has anyone else used any other pedal in the loop other than an eq pedal... more dirt or a delay... just curious if there are any users utilizing the loop feature....

6. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

I saw a youtube last night with delay in the loop. The loop is only active when the pedal is active, so the idea in the video I saw was having a clean tone for rhythm, then only needing to step on the Tim OD footswitch, which also activated the delay in the loop, for a good lead/solo tone.