Tim Shaw pickups?...Identification help please...:D

jasons7

Silver Supporting Member
I'm not a total expert but I can tell you what good clues I think I see on the OP's....

You would have to google the ink stamps but those are a positive indicator. Although, Shaws don't always have them. Mine don't.
On the underside where you have the second row of holes, you can see white which could indicate they have the white spacer Shaws have.
The guitar has the "Pat Appl For" rings that were paired with Shaws.
I believe the brass screws on the underside can be a Shaw indicator. I also believe their are variations here.

Other things you can look for...
Check them with a meter they should be in the mid to low 7k range
Look at the end of the leads where they are soldered to the pots in the control cavity. One will usually have a red ink mark the other a yellow ink mark on the end of the cloth covering the wire.
Pull the covers and look at the spacers and the magnets. Spacers are typically white. Magnets are rough on the ends, not smooth.

please could you share more about how you can tell?
Is this a Shaw?
What I'm not sure about yours is, the black goop around the perimeter of the inside of the cover. It looks potted or something? Shaws are un-potted. That or someone siliconed the covers on. Measure them with a meter

Thing about Shaws is, there are variations in the manufacturing so it takes some sleuth work to be 100% sure.

AdmiralB

What I'm not sure about yours is, the black goop around the perimeter of the inside of the cover.
That's not goop, it's the paper tape around the bobbins - they overlaid it on the bottom a bit (and must have had to scrape away to solder the covers).

OP, be careful what you wish for. I had a Heritage Series korina V with these, and I thought they were the weakest, blandest pickups I'd ever heard <shrugs>.

lemonman

Silver Supporting Member
please could you share more about how you can tell?
Is this a Shaw?

IMO, no, not a Shaw. You can see the wooden spacer through the hole in the corner, which Shaws did not have. The old link and Jasons7 covered it well.
That's not goop, it's the paper tape around the bobbins - they overlaid it on the bottom a bit (and must have had to scrape away to solder the covers).

OP, be careful what you wish for. I had a Heritage Series korina V with these, and I thought they were the weakest, blandest pickups I'd ever heard <shrugs>.
Shaws can have the same problem some T-Tops suffer from- dead magnets. Sometimes they're just undercharged, sometimes they won't hold a high charge; you may have had some of those. They also do vary, like every other Gibson pickup model. With a charged magnet, a good one can hold their own with anything I've heard, but YMMV. They're certainly not flamethrowers in the bridge.

jasons7

Silver Supporting Member

I considered that but I think it's something else. By the looks of the solder (and lack thereof on the one side), it looks like that cover has been off too.

nbessie1

Platinum Supporting Member
Thank you all very much for all this great info! Merry Christmas and a Happy (G.A.S-filled) New Year!

Nick B.

justabubba

IMO, no, not a Shaw. You can see the wooden spacer through the hole in the corner, which Shaws did not have. The old link and Jasons7 covered it well.

Shaws can have the same problem some T-Tops suffer from- dead magnets. Sometimes they're just undercharged, sometimes they won't hold a high charge; you may have had some of those. They also do vary, like every other Gibson pickup model. With a charged magnet, a good one can hold their own with anything I've heard, but YMMV. They're certainly not flamethrowers in the bridge.
i bought a studio standard in early '84 and learned from TGP that it likely has the desirable shaw pickups. however, those pups have not sounded that good to me all of these years. assumed it was my bad ears. have recently bought a replacement set of crossroads that i have yet to install. your post causes me to ask if the shaws can be brough back to life with new magnets; and if so, which ones?

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
i bought a studio standard in early '84 and learned from TGP that it likely has the desirable shaw pickups. however, those pups have not sounded that good to me all of these years. assumed it was my bad ears. have recently bought a replacement set of crossroads that i have yet to install. your post causes me to ask if the shaws can be brough back to life with new magnets; and if so, which ones?
Maybe this can help?

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...agnets-magnet-swapping.1497485/#post-18835695

To the OP- yep those are Shaws. They sound great in my '84 ES-335 Dot.

lemonman

Silver Supporting Member
Throbak's short A2 is pretty much a dead ringer for the Shaw magnets that I have experience with; none of the common Chinese mags sound close. It would be cheaper to find a good pickup winder & have them recharge the ones you have, or determine if they will take a good charge. They can be charged while still in the pickup, if you do not want to disassemble them. Of the five Shaws I have, only one would not take a good charge, but IIRC only two of them had a decent charge when I got them.

AdmiralB

won't hold a high charge; you may have had some of those. They also do vary, like every other Gibson pickup model. With a charged magnet, a good one can hold their own with anything I've heard, but YMMV. They're certainly not flamethrowers in the bridge.
I bought the guitar new, just not my thing. Very low-output pickups in a featherweight guitar made for weak, bland tone...for my tastes anyhow.

Boomstick

I have Shaws in my '81 Les Paul Custom, and they're great pickups. They sound very close to '57 Classics but slightly more open.

mrfett

love Shaws, have them in each of my LP Customs (stock in the '81, replaced the 490R/498T pair in my '90). low output, gorgeous tones. like them better than '57 Classics and Burstbuckers. probably not for everyone or every guitar, but one of Gibson's better pickups for LPs IMO.

when you see the two sets of rows for holes, the stamped Patent #, an ink stamp and the white spacers you can be pretty sure they're Shaws. Next you should measure them to make sure they read under 7.5, and you can look for the red and yellow marks on the tips of the leads.

Trending Topics