Tim Shaw question/s

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by skoora, Feb 27, 2012.

1. skoora

skoora Member

I have an '85 Blonde 335 from the custom shop that had the original Hum's. They don't have ink stamping on the back but they both measure about 7.5. Are these guy's Shaws? Did Gibson offer Hum's that weren't Shaws back then that would measure like that?

2. jamdogg

jamdogg Member

3. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

They should be Shaws in that guitar but pics would go a LONG way

4. rocket_no9

rocket_no9 Member

i have an 84' CS 335 dot that i ordered from Gibson myself. pups are wound slightly lighter than that and have NO ink stamps. i've always assumed they were shaws ...

5. goodwater

goodwater Member

can't say without pics

6. skoora

skoora Member

That might take a while as all my stuff is packed away from a move. They have nickel covers and a single braid lead and a Gibson pat # on the back, but no ink stamping.

7. sarge40

sarge40 Member

Later Shaws were not stamped. The reading is consistent with Shaws. I believe that they were the only Gibson pups of that vintage to read low to mid 7s.

8. jp1977

jp1977 Member

Alot of the shaw equipped guitars of that era had small paf stickers on the pickup surrounds although they probably were taken off by now.

9. Tidewater Custom Shop

Tidewater Custom Shop Performance Enhancing Guitarworks Supporting Member

Here's a good TGP link about Shaws. I have a couple non-ink stamped Shaws, and a couple with the ink stamps. Take the time to review/reveal the physical characteristics of a Shaw to determine whether your pickups indeed are Shaws.

For example, and generally speaking, "...they all had two white plastic spacers, thick, rough cast AlNiCo 5 magnets, the square in circle holes mounted on the opposite side than PAFs or 57 Classics (etc) do. And DCR measurements between 7.1k and 7.4K." *SCATTERBRANE, MyLesPaul Forum, 11/7/2010