TIM!!!! timmy!! KILLER !!!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Cary Chilton, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

I have just recently, really had a chance this month to actually started noodling with more recent gear purchases, including my TIM and timmy. I gotta say, man I am totally impressed. The versatility is KILLER. The Tim's 4!! graduated gain settings and full sized pots make the 4 settings ranges VERY diable, which I love, plus the gain surpasses the timmy by about 2-3 times if needed. The timmy Paul told me, has the exact same circuitry, but with the smaller pots, to my ears doesn't sound as huge as the TIM. However, the timmy's dip switches can set for assymetrical clipping which is cool if you want that sound, something TIM doesn' do -to my recollection. Against, any other pedal I had or my buddy's The TIM and timmy allowed the geniune tone of the pickup and amp shine through more than any other boutique od pedal. The TIM and timmy pedals don't really a singing lead tone or have musical feedback qualities, but they aren't made for that. They both do have great harmonic crunch. I personally had no trouble ripping off older Van Halen or Satriani licks, even with the gain set at 70% on the timmy or 50 % on the TIM. The TIM was created designed for Paul Gibson or Strat to work with a pedal and kick his old Marshall in the pants without altering the original tones, and these pedals deliver. I was even impressed how the TIM's gain (timmy) sounded straight into the clean channel and at a low volume. Even into a solid state amp, these pedals rock! These pedals EQ, as mentioned before are very well thought out. Just listening to Paul explain IN TOTAL detail about the electronics was, well.... I was over my head, but still happy to listen. As another member said before, if you are turning up the gain and if you want the gain to NOT sound fuzzy, you need to turn the bass
    pot ( reverse audio pot) unorthodoxically to the right, to cut the bass. Also treble pot according to taste. I was very surprised as Paul's manual says something to effect of :don't be afraid to try fully dialling the bass cut and treble cut on higher gain settings, you know what? I still sounded great! As I gathered from Paul's explanation on the EQ, the EQ is a shelving EQ, which basically renders a bit of bass underneath even when the bass is fully cut. So these pedals have more eq'ing options and they always sound full bodied. If I dial the gain on full, with no frequency cut to bass or treble, I have a classic fuzzy clipped sound, which I find totally cool, too! Thanks Paul for your pedals and an awesome chat!

2. teleblaster

teleblaster Member

Amen! The Tim really raised the bar as far as iam concerned. The big bold mild crunch with my esquire into any amp ive got is hard to be beat.Iam pretty much done with that spot on the pedalboard. :dude :dude

3. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

Couldn't agree more, the Timmy is a modern day classic IMHO.

Just curious, which pedal would be up there tonally to a Timmy but provide 'musical feedback qualities'? I find too the Timmy doesn't really provide that...

4. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

I've found that the Timmy also works great after an 808-ish pedal as a gain/grit/crunch/boost...you can bring some bass and clarity back in, very sweet and lively.
    Greg

5. Cary Chilton

My ZenDrive or MJM BD or BlueBoy sound awesome for that singing lead tone. The definite winner, the real king of tone IMO is my new version 5 Stage Hog, variable boost, double channel, buffered output, active eq, tube pedal with a output jack for a cab. On it's own puts out class A 1rms watt, which I swear has to be more than that. It is my only pedal I really take to jam or gig with if I am not sure which kind of amp I will be using, and it doesn't matter because the recommended way to use it is directly into the channel of any type of amp, power amp using the Stage Hog as the sole tone generator. Very portable. I still am curious about Xotic effects, and of course BJF. I think the SBEQ would be my next pedal. Paul, of the TIM, talked enthusiatically about the BJF, Hermida and Xotic pedals alike. His opinion was noted. I was interested in Eternity but I think Xotic has caught my eye a little more. I freakin can't wait to try the Dyna Red or the Mos for my crazy high gain sounds!

6. Cary Chilton

Rather than edit, because ppl hate edits here. I should clarify that I meant the Stage is meant to run into the CLEAN channel.... sorry about that.

7. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

8. teleblaster

teleblaster Member

How does the stage hog compare to a hot chili tubster? Ive had a few tube based pedals and never really liked there tone

9. Cary Chilton

Never tried one! Sorry!