Tim, Timmy, Klon, Keeley BD2, and more

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by awaywardson, Jun 19, 2008.

1. awaywardson

awaywardson Member

how different are these (and other pedals that are mentioned A LOT on the forums)? including OCD, GT500, and more. some of us who don't have great shops or opportunities to try these pedals have to rely on reviews and word of mouth.

2. pbone

pbone Member

Tim and Timmy are the same thing, except the Tim has a boost, the option for selectable clipping diodes, and an effects loop. It does not have a lot of gain, and specifically designed to be a low gain drive with a very wide EQ sweep. The Klon was designed to boost an amp into overdrive, but schematics show that it is essentially two tubescreamer circuits. The OCD is a great sounding boutique overdrive that finds a place on many players' boards; versatile and meshes well with a lot of set ups. (I found it too fizzy with single coils, however.)

3. angler87

angler87 Member

I've got a Timmy and a BD2. My friend had a Klon I checked out.

The Timmy is a good low overdrive with wide range that excels at classic rock tones. I typically play a 54 Les Paul reissue through a 1965 Princeton Reverb and it gets excellent tones. There are actually a couple videos done by a woman playing a 54 LP through a Timmy and BF Champ on YouTube. Sounds pretty much right on.

The Blues Driver is very good for the money. It's a tad bright with ash Teles and other bright single coiled guitars. It's good for low gain overdrive that sounds close to a tweed amp (provided you boost the mids in your amp). With the gain control past 12 o clock it starts to get pretty fizzy. A lot of people trash the pedal but I still think its pretty good.

Klon is a good boost, not so good overdrive. I have a Zvex Super Duper 2-in-1 that I prefer for my boost needs.

4. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Keeley BD-2 or stock?

5. angler87

angler87 Member

Keeley, but I've owned both. The Keeley is less harsh than the standard BD-2.

6. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

Is the keeley bd-2 is a damn fine pedal.

the ocd sounds fizzy at 9v to me but not at 12v or higher. I sold mine and I wish I would have held on to it.

7. drolling

drolling Member

I love Mike's take on vintage-style fuzzes (Soulbender, '69, etc) but have had limited experience w/his overdrives so I can't really comment.

But, I would give Paul C. a call and get on the 'list' for both a TIM & Timmy. When I searched TGP, I found that people seemed to prefer Timmy, so that's what I went with. Fast forward to 5 months later, I plugged Timmy in & within 1/2 an hour was back on the phone ordering a TIM (and another Timmy).

So I waited another 6 months or so.. Worth EVERY minute.. These pedals are not hype. Edgy, lively *amp-like* distortion with a power EQ that you can dial in to suit just about any amp/git combination.

And they're criminally underpriced. Just get 'em both..

I've got a stock BD, and it does have a treble heavy-rasp, but I kinda like it. It *stacks* really, really well w/its bassy-bottomed brother the OD-3. Do they sound as good as my BJF HoneyBee stackd with an EmraldGreen DistortionMachine??

he!!, NO WAY, but picked up both BOSS's second hand, for next to nothing ~ even cheaper than my TIM/Timmy!!

8. billybob77036

billybob77036 Member

I've got a Timmy and a Analogman King of Tone, and between them I will never part with either. Of course I will never need another light or medium drive pedal so long as I have them either.