Tim & Timmy Questions

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Lucky Dog Guitars, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Lucky Dog Guitars

Lucky Dog Guitars Member

1st.. can you thoroughly explain the difference between the two?

Tim / Timmy Questions

I’m starting to get interested based on the posts I have read here on gearpage.

Are the Tim/Timmy pedals based off of any other existing pedal design or are they a totally new/unique design which sets them apart from all others?

It seems like the Zendrive kinda fell into that totally unique category.

If you could compare the Tim/Timmy pedals to any other pedal out there.. what would it be? I’m just trying to get a better idea on what it does & if it would fit my need... and if it would even be that different from what I already have.

P.S. (I play mostly modern country, southern rock, blues, & “some” classic rock)

Current pedalboard consists of:

Guitar > tuner > Guyatone ST-2 compressor > Xotic BB > Tech-21 Comptortion > Digital verb > Rocktron Shorttimer delay > Boss DD-6 delay > Goodrich Volume Pedal >>>>>into front of Amp.

2. pbone

pbone Member

It's unique. But you can't get one new unless you wait about 4 months.

3. brianf

brianf Member

These pedals can produce a fairly heavy amount of gain. I was pleased when I got mine. My impressions from posts here was they were a lighter gain but are not.

A very nice wide usable range for sure.

Get the Tim, it also has a loop and boost on it. Or order both and if you do not like one you can post it on the emporium and will get your money back for sure.

brianf

4. codeorama

codeorama Member

I have the Tim. In my opinion, its the best OD that I've tried. I use it with my AC30. I run the Vox so that its crunchy, then I have the Tim set with the gain about half way up, it fattens the tone, adds sustain etc..., then I use the boost with the gain set nearly full and it is a great lead boost. Lots of sustain and controllable feedback.

I also put my MI Audio Crunchbox before the Tim and I run the gain of the crunchbox about half way, tone at 11 o'clock and it has made the crunchbox sound even better than it did on its own. I use this with the heaviest stuff we play: Tool, Ozzy, Sabbath etc...

5. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

Two pedal I can not live without.

Shane

6. joejazzguitar

joejazzguitar Silver Supporting Member

Been through a LOT of OD pedals.... the Tim and Zendrive were the only two keepers.. The Tim gives me the hands-down BEST rock rhythm sound I've ever heard with P90 and humbucker guitars through a variety of amps.

Betweent he two boost levels on the Tim and the Zendrive, I can get pretty much every live tone I'll ever need.

If I was going to keep my bigger pedal board, I'd also keep my Maven Peal Howler and place it in front of the Tim and the Zendrive... it doesn;t do much, but it does manage to make every pedal after it sound more alive...

7. Axe_34

Axe_34 Supporting Member

This board needs a Tim/Timmy stickie. :jo

8. Cotton

Cotton Member

Hillbilly - Tim and Timmy are both built and serviced by one of the top cats in character. After many years of gigging, my Tim needed a tuneup and Paul did it asap with no hassle and no delay. Top drawer service.

As I downsized my pedal board, I parked my Tim in favor of the smaller Timmy. And just to ward off evil spirits I have two Timmys... or Timmies... or Timmezz (ow, ow, ow)...

My signal chain is similar to yours; although I may add a Fulltone TTE when I can. I play rock and country from ARS to Bob Wills and beyond. Hall of fame OD's for me are the Dallas Rangemaster, 808, Klon Centaur, Tim/Timmy, and Lovepedal Eternity RH. Today, the Eternity and Timmy are always on the board as fuzzes, treble boosters, and modulators come and go as needed.

I tend to tun the TImmy early in the OD line, perhaps after the fuzz and I tend to run the Eternity last of all OD's. I run individual od's and I slao stack 'em when running hot.

I find the Timmy the to be a great all around OD with 4 knobs that ALL work. Each knob adds a color that matters. The Bass and Treble knobs are like Cut controls. As you turn clockwise, you decrease bass or treble, or as I like to say, you tame the bass. You can dial in hair and feel it grow as you increase treble. You can approach Klon-like "amp improvement" and still control your midrange hump.

The Gain runs from a light cut that can clarify or sharpen a soft amp tone and runs up to what I call, "1/2 of Leslie West". ANY portion of Leslie West is a great place to be! So the Timmy won't fuzz out a lava lamp or head bang a Drop D wall of glass. But it will give you many needs for OD.

The Timmy has internal DIP switches for changing the manner of OD to asymmetrical clipping. You'll like that extra flavor in there. I'm not sure the Tim has this feature.

Here's a link to asymmetrical clipping definition...

http://www.theguitarfiles.com/guitarfile636.html

Well I hope this helps... If I missed something, just email me.

Take care. Cotton