• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Tim/timmy users: other flavors similar?

Gdog

Hey Tim/Timmy users(or former users), have you been using other ODs? The Tim has been my main OD for years and I want to keep it, I just want a new flavor. Can you suggest or point me to a thread? Low to medium gain, preferable with bass/treble tone shaping.

I use an MXR GT-OD in front of my Timmy and it works great. The Timmy is always on just to give some saturation to the Clean sound. I have the gain all the way down on the MXR while the output level is relatively high. This pushes the Timmy into a very sweet overdrive when needed.

the_rising

Gold Supporting Member
I think the Keeley-mod BD-2 is very similar tone-wise.

(I sold the Timmy and kept the BD-2).

traynor_garnet

Silver Supporting Member
Check out the Fairfield Barbershop OD. Like the Timmy, it is a trasparent od but it has its own sound. The sag feature makes it incredibly useful and will get you tones that the Timmy cannot.

My ultimate stack is still running the Barbershop at medium gain, into the Timmy (set for very low gain). The Barbershop takes the dirt up a step from where my Timmy is set. It is insane how much these two pedals sound like my amp does when it is cranked up and I can roll the guitar's volume up and down for dirt.

TG

orogeny

Gold Supporting Member
i love the keeley bd2
and the wampler ecstasy
NOT similar, but a great stack with the tim/my is the screwdriver deluxe. oh my.

Gdog

Thanks for suggestions, may try BB circuit like KOT, or variant. I love the TIM for low gain, but it gets too peaky for me, when pushed into medium gain. Open to more suggestions though! ;)

crxshdxmmy

Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
Barber Gain Changer
Subdecay Liquid Sunshine
Emerson EM Drive
Bearfoot Honey Bee OD
Rockett Blue Note

All of those are different low/med gainers. The SHOD would be my #1 suggestion.

gatordoc

One of my favorite low to medium gain pedals is the Analogman Astrotone. Holds a nice spot on my board between OD and fuzz.

I also like the Cusack Screamer v2 a lot as it has the TS mid hump but more gain and multiple clipping options.

Both stack well with my TIM.

Gdog

One of my friends just got the Cusack Screamer V2, going to borrow it. He says it's got a couple of settings with mid hump/without, and more gain on tap.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom