TIM/TIMMY & Zendrive, the new Way Huge?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tonefreak, Jun 19, 2006.

1. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

I looked in search and couldn't find a post with this subject, but I'm sure it's been discussed... I just need a place to vent.

I used to own both a Zendrive and Timmy. Sold the Timmy what I paid for it ($175) and sold the Zendrive very close for what I paid for it new from ToneFrenzy.

I'm looking at the classifieds here on TGP and seeing Zendrive priced close to $300? TIMs are over $200 with Timmy priced just under $200.

Supply vs. demand in true form.

I guess the Zendrive and TIM/Timmy pedals are the new Way Huge with one difference... Way Huge pedals are no longer being made, thus the high prices.

IMO, if you need these pedals that badly to better your tone and pay those high prices, I'd say look at the amp first and detemine why the amp by itself isn't doing it for you. That's what I did, and I don't use any OD or Distortion pedals currently...

2. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

It's strange because you see those pedals for sale quite a bit these days, either they are just looking to make a quick profit or they are way over hyped, thats just my assumption I've never tried any of those pedals especially at those rediculous prices!

3. gtrchris

gtrchris Member

It's not hype!! both the Zen and Tim for me are the best OD's out there. Others may have different choices, but for me individually or stacked they give me all I need. I sold both only to realize that I'd made a big mistake. Both will be on my doorstep any day now!

4. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

Totally agree... I LOVED my Zen and Timmy!!!

When I sold both here at TGP, I sold them for what I thought was fair. I think I even sold the Zendrive less for what I bought it for at ToneFrenzy!

But... supply and demand will dictate the used market prices for these pedals. Funny think is, if you exerted some patience you can get these pedals for a great price brand new... you just have to wait.

5. Dr.Tom

Dr.Tom Supporting Member

I love vintage Fender Blackface and Silverface amps for their clean sound. I don't want to run them at volumes to get natural break up. I use pedals to get me the overdrive, fuzz, etc. sounds that I want. But my favorite sound is a clean Fender with just a touch of reverb. So I have the amp sound I love, but I need pedals to get me certain overdriven sounds for various songs. I have no interest in any amp other than Fenders because I can get those other sounds(or close enough) with pedals. When I tire of the sound, I switch pedals; a lot less hassle than switching amps(which is what I used to do).

Regards,

Tom

Pedals:
    ADA Flanger w/RI Foot pedal(Vintage),Analogman Stereo Chorus, (2) Analogman ,Bi-Comprossors,Analogman SunFace(NKT 275),BJF Honey Bee Overdrive,Boss Line Selector LS-2,Boss Equalizer GE-7,Boss PN-2 Tremolo/Pan,Boss Power Supply PSM-5,(5) Boss Chromatic Tuners TU-2,Boss DD-20 Giga Delay,Boss Metal Zone MT-2,Boss BF-1 Flanger(Vintage),Boss DM-2 Delay,Boss Delay DM-3,(2) Boss CE-1 Chorus Ensemble,Boss Bass Chorus CE-2B,Digitech Whammy II,Digitech FX-17 Wah/Vol,Digitech Bass Driver(X-Series),Digitech Jam Man,(5) Ernie Ball Volume Pedals,EH Screaming Bird Treble Booster,EH Small Stone Phase(Vintage),EH Big Muff PI(Vintage),FoxRox Captain Coconut II,Fulltone ’69 Fuzz,Fulltone Clyde Wah,Gibson Maestro Fuzztone (FZ-1A),Hermidia Zendrive,Hermidia Mosferatu,
    Ibanez CS-9 Stereo Chorus,Ibanez TS-9 RI,(2)Ibanez TS-9DX,Ibanez TS-9DX Keeley Mod,Ibanez TS-9 Analogman Mod,Ibanez TS-9DX Analogman Mod,Ibanez Original TS-9(Analogman upgrade),Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah,Keeley 3-Way Rat,Keeley Rangemaster,(2) MXR Distortion+ (Vintage),MXR Phase 100 (Script),MXR Dynacomp (Script),MXR Noisegate Linedriver(Vintage),MXR Micro Flanger(Vintage),
    MXR Loop Selector(Vintage),MXR Power Converter(Vintage),Paul Cochrane Timmy,
    Peterson Strobo Stomp,Peterson VS-II Virtual Strobe Tuner,Pro Analog Dual Drive,Radial ToneBone Classic Distortion,Time Machine Boost,T.C. Electronics Stereo Chorus,Vox Big Ben Overdrive,Whirlwind Selector A/B Box

6. PaulC

PaulC Member

My Tim pedal is 9 years old, and has been going strong on the net for over 3 years now. Timmy is almost 2 years old. There's about 1500 of them out there, but not a ton when you think of the years.

So when do people stop using the word "hype"? I'd think 3 years solid is long enough to not have to go by the flav of the month thing. It's a drag to be stuck with that name all the time. The thing is I've never done any of the hype myself. You don't see me talking about stuff that wont be out for months, or getting people to talk up new stuff before it's ready. I've even asked people to chill a bit when I thought they were going overboard about the pedals.

There's going to be a high return on things you can't play before you buy them. There's also a bunch of guys that buy them just to sell. So yeah you see them pop up. It's not like walking into a music store and getting to try something out first...and then walking away without buying anything.

Not to sound like a baby, but I'm getting tired of the "hype" thing!

Later, PaulC

7. Ned

Ned Member

I think the zendrive gets sold alot because its a love//hate pedal. The style it fits is very peticular and if that is not yours, the zen will not really fit it. It adds alot of color (good if you love it, and bad if you dont) but does not have much gain for people looking to rock out. I waited nearly 6 months for mine and when I got it, I realized that it did not fit my style of music and I already had other OD's that satisfied me that I had purchased on my wait for the zen so there was no point in me holding onto this great pedal if there was someone else out there who could actually use it and love it. As for the selling price, that was just an added bonus and a need for cash. :YinYang

8. DEMENTED

DEMENTED Supporting Member

I have noticed the same thing with the Mosferatu...new it's $150 but ther's a wait...I've seen used ones go for $300 on eBay...I'll wait until it blows over and get one at a reasonable price.:(

9. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Sorry Paul it wasnt a personal slam on you or Alf, it was just a general statement that came across the wrong way!

10. PaulC

PaulC Member

It's not a problem "J". I'm just hyped out!

Take care, PaulC

11. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

Paul and Alf... you make amazing pedals at a very fair price!!

I know the market is pricing these used for about twice than what the original owner paid for. What surprises me is how many people here on TGP price them according to ebaY.

Smart... well, yes, because you get your money back and make some money at the same time.

Fair? Fair for the owner, and probably not so fair to the impatient buyer.

ebaY... I have no problem seeing these go for whatever people bid on these. But here on TGP? I admit... it disappoints me because it's a community of friends.

The exception would be those who bought it here for the higher price and just want to get their money back. But for those who bought a pedal straight from Paul or Alf... what compells you to sell them so high here at TGP?

12. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

TS808s are all hype !!!:jo

The reason you see many hot booteeks for sale is once you started seeing them used regularly going for more than list, its free money - so the people on the waiting list who would normally dump out - stayed in even tho they probably new they would sell it...... but hey welcome to America,,, how is this Paul or Alfs problem or fault ???!!!

13. rewog

rewog Member

All true. But what it does, I think it does better than anything else.
    It's very smooth and has great sustain. It also has a lot of options with the Tone AND Voice controls - it can be dark and mellow or bright and biting.... but the basic color certainly remains.

14. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I haven't tried the Tim, but last year I got my Zendrive. I'm over the honeymoon, and this pedal to me is NO HYPE at all, it's the real deal. I have had LOTS of OD pedals, and this thing just never ceases to amaze me. It is, for me, perfect. It sounds great, it CUTS through in a beautiful way. It is really intuitive for me, I can adjust it for different voicings/gains without having to "pling" to hear where it is...

I've had a lot of ODs. But the ZD just beats the hell out of the others. Some of the others sound great alone, but don't cut through in the mix. Some of the others sound fantastic soloing single notes, but sound too harsh on chords, some sound great on chords but loose sparkle on single notes, or don't react how I like to picking attack and pressure...

The Zendrive does all the positive things I mentioned above, and none of the negative. It's one of the few permanent pedals on my board.

Just recently purchased a ZVex Super Hard On (booster), and only breifly got to play it a little on a backup amp with another band....but I am beginning to hope/suspect it is going to be another permanent pedal on my board, I hope.

But this is all just my opinion of course. Not saying anyone is wrong here, but I don't think there is enough "hype" about the Zendrive. I'm not hyping it, just telling what I found for myself, using the pedal over almost a year, with my own ears. But there will always be some people, playing some style or with some equipment that don't enjoy any given pedal. I think the "hype" is almost entirely folk that really just love the pedal. How is that "hype"?

Sure, there are most likely a few here and there that praise it because others do...there are certainly all range of folks, from brand new beginners, to people like me that have been playing guitar regularly since 1972. Also, you have folks that play in the bedroom alone, and people that play regularly in a band ( and in the band situation, seems to me is where the ZD really shines. Play "Tore Down" and get that Freddy king BITE, then over to "Little Queen of Spades" and get that mellow, OD...this thing gets you there).

But I read up on the ZD before buying it, good and negative reviews. I liked what I read, and the ones that didn't like it....seemed to me they either complained of "mids" or just didn't go into real detail about why. People that liked it, many DID go into detail specifically what they liked about it. I'm generalizing of course, SOME folks went into detail about why they didn't like theirs...but mostly their comments didn't seem to apply to my playing and musical style.

Edited to add this: Hype implies "The Emporers New Clothes", but in that story there WERE no clothes...there were no threads sewn together. This is CLEARLY not the case with the Zendrive (and I go out on a limb, not having played it myself, but people I know from here describing it) and the Tim. There ARE threads there. Now, many people say they like the clothes. I KNOW I do regarding ZD. But others may not like them...tastes differ. But in this case, the little boy that says "but, he's naked" is dead wrong.

15. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Just to clarify, "hype" to me implies something underhanded, something false that a manufacturer would do to increase sales. Also, implies to me a lot of people just blilndly following a fashionable opinion without specific knowledge.

Hype implies way overvalued....it implies a huge build-up, marketing, spreading of "the word" most often by people that really have no opinion, but "go along with it".....

Hype implies "The Emporors New Clothes"...

I don't think it applies to the Zendrive, those are some NICE threads...with substance.

16. xroads

xroads Member

Back to the original post:
    I agree to the statement that each element in the signal chain makes a difference. If you stack great pedals with a bad amp, you are likely to get sub-optimal results.
    Also, if you like tube based distortion, and try to get this with pedals and a clean amp, you don't get results you want.
    I own both the Timmy and the ZD, and think that they are among the best pedals out there. That's why:
    - they are extremely transparent
    - they can push a tube amp in crunch mode very nicely
    - they are rock solid
    - they give a nive color palette to the sound

I, for myself, am extremely thankful to the builders of these pedals for giving me a high-end product that makes me smile each time I use it.

17. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

I love the TIM, and TIMMY!! With out them I feel naked, hurt, and wounded.. But you will need a good amp to start with. These pedals are not going to make a crappy amp sound awesome.

18. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

Well... discussing the awesome tone that both of these pedal generate was not the original intent of this thread. Nor have I implied that it's any fault of Paul or Alf... they just make great pedals, period.

What I do take issue with is the way TGP members price these pedals on TGP's classifieds. I personally would not sell a pedal for twice what it's worth to a friend.

I guess it not a question of why... because we all know it's greed. Again, this only applies to those who bought from Paul or Alf directly and sold here for almost twice as much.

We all exhibit a certain level of greed... some more than others. The market for vintage guitars and amps does not apply because the original parts and hands are no longer available to make these instruments of yesteryear. Way Huge pedals do not fall in this category because they are no longer made... Mr. Huge has closed up shop. Zendrive and TIM are available... you just have to wait.

Again... I guess there's not question here at all... just a commentary. Greed causes TGP members to over price these great pedals to other TGP members. Impatience causes people to buy them.

19. MaxBoogie

MaxBoogie Member

Okay, so I'm relatively new here, and I've heard about the Tim pedal, but I can't find any descriptive info out there on this pedal!? Can someone point me in the right direction to find out more about the Tim and Zen pedals?
    TIA

20. grego7

grego7 has left the building Gold Supporting Member

I picked up an epiphone valve jr head given that it's a relatively inexpensive amp (heck, it's a cheap amp), and I'd read some good things about it. It sounds pretty good through my 2x12. Add the timmy ---> sounds extremely good, especially with the fantastic tone controls since the epi VJ only has a volume knob. Add in the OD-3 I bought for $50, and I swear it sounds RFord-ish -- in other words like a zendrive but attainable at lower volumes -- with a humbucker-equipped guitar. Much less expensive than nearly all of the other boards here, but great sounds and I'm happy.

I should note that I only play at home, and I know that an epi 5w amp head is essentially worthless in a gigging situation if you want any cleans.