Tim/timmy

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by stratneck, May 12, 2006.

1. stratneck

stratneck Supporting Member

Can someone tell me what is the difference between this
    two pedals, since to me ,the most people, favor the Timmy.
    According to Paul,The Tim is the beter of the two.
    Please Help?;)

2. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

You need both...and with Paul's resonable pricing you can afford it ;).

3. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

I favor the Tim over the Timmy. The Timmy is a tad 'fuzzy' sounding when A/B'd with the Tim. A lot of people go with the Timmy based on it's smaller size. My Tim is on my pedal board, my little Timmy sits in a box in my music closet.

4. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

I agree the Timmy is a little harsher/edgier overall due to the different value of the gain pot. I found that replacing the stock chip with an LM1458 overcomes this.

The TIM has a boost function which is handy but it is in quite a large and tall box which some folks like and some don't.

I have another TIM on order also-I really do find that I use both.

5. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

I agree about the TIM being my favorite, but love my TIMMY and it's on the board right beside my TIM. These are my favorite pedals, somtimes I like the sound that the TIMMY gives me over the TIM, and then somtimes I just use the TIM. But they both give me pretty much the same sound, the gain pot on the TIMMY saturates quicker, but you can make these pedal sound alike by turning the gain pot on the TIM a little higher than the TIMMY and keep the EQ knobs in the same place.

Shane Pasqualla
    WET ANIMAL
    http://www.wetanimal.net
    http://www.phensic.com

6. onemind

onemind Member

I ended up keeping my TIM pedal, not for sonic reasons but for the versatility of the the added boost and the loop. An SBEQ in the loop of a TIM pedal is a great tone-shaping tool.

7. filmosound

filmosound Member

how about ordering a TIMMY with the gain pot of the TIM? Paul will build a TIMMY that way if you ask him.

Has anyone preferred the LM1458 in their TIM? or is the stock 4559 preferred in the TIM?

8. Grant Ferstat

I toyed with that idea last Timmy I ordered but seeing I was grabbing a TIM I wanted the option of them being a little different from one another.

I preferred the stock 4559 in TIM but I must admit I didn't try the LM1458 for long. I'm even tempted to try a 4558 in a TIM or Timmy for a "thick" version of that sound.

9. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

I had some extra time yesterday and decided to fiddle about with Tim and Timmy. I also had my Catalinbread SCP out on the board too. After about an hour of going between the Tim and Timmy I discovered that I almost prefer the Timmy now when used together with the SCP. I don't know what kind of sonic mutation is going on there, but I like it a lot! :dude