Tim V3 Arrived. Quick Review

Jschoi

Silver Supporting Member
Yes, it arrived. I plugged it in. I've owned and played all version of the Tim and Timmy.

This Tim is as described, and as we all know it.

Extremely transparent, as we remember it.

Here's what V3 does better than V2 and V1. V3 is way more flexible. There were certain points in the Tim v2 or v1 where more of the gain or volume made the sound unusable, too loud, or too "something else". The sweet spot was pretty in the same zone every time.

The Tim v3 is harder to dial in a sweet spot, because it sounds pretty dang good everywhere. Using the boost to add more grit makes it a rockin' pedal. Then, if you want just a mild boost with a transparent push, you can dial that in. If you want more overdrive straight from the get-go, you can do that too.

The clip switch and hi cut switch are on the top, which add to the flexibility of the amp. Depending on what guitar and amp combo I have, I can see myself setting them in either direction.

I've always loved the Tim pedals. This one is beyond exceptional in my book.

Cheers,

Jason

Visual Guy

Silver Supporting Member
I compared mine to the V1 for about 30 min. It sounds great and is the closest thing I've played to a V1. The LPD Pedals Dutch Overdrive being the second closest. Pedal is awesome, clipping switches are subtle changes which is nice. Soft touch switching is also a nice touch, along with all the top mounted stuff. Great pedal, and design. I think most people will be very pleased with this version if they hold the V1 in the highest regard like I do.

DSC00496.JPG

Jschoi

Silver Supporting Member
I compared mine to the V1 for about 30 min. It sounds great and is the closest thing I've played to a V1. The LPD Pedals Dutch Overdrive being the second closest. Pedal is awesome, clipping switches are subtle changes which is nice. Soft touch switching is also a nice touch, along with all the top mounted stuff. Great pedal, and design. I think most people will be very pleased with this version if they hold the V1 in the highest regard like I do.

Agreed. I liked V1 the best. This one gets back to some of that incredible transparency and great sparkle, and then adds all the useful functionality of the more modern versions.

Shnook

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for the early reviews! I had a V1 on my board for 14 before I regrettably sold it to pay for a unexpected large bill. I’ve missed it ever since. I’ll be picking a new Tim up when the opportunity presents itself. I currently have a MXR Timmy which is fine but it’s not a Tim. No Timmy has ever sounded as good as the VI Tim I had.

Windup 43

Silver Supporting Member
I just received one and I really like it, lots of options. My v1 breadboard Timmy has been one of my favorite low to medium gain pedals for a long time. I still like that one best, there’s a different quality to the breakup and saturation that I find particularly pleasing. But I do like the v3 Tim better than the v2 or v3 Timmy’s I’ve owned, I think this one sounds better than those.

beboy711

I unfortunately missed out on the release thanks to Humbucker's email system. I've been interested in this since trying out the MXR Timmy, as its probably my favorite always on.

Can someone tell me if the boost is before or after the gain circuit?

dreamingaxe

I want one of these Badly! I had the V2 for a loooooong time. Sold it to fund other gears, but I want one to go back on my board. Hehe

Jschoi

Silver Supporting Member
I unfortunately missed out on the release thanks to Humbucker's email system. I've been interested in this since trying out the MXR Timmy, as its probably my favorite always on.

It is before the gain circuit - at least that’s what I think.

JoeYello

Gold Supporting Member
I forget that the Timmy V3 with the gain toggle set for higher gain is like the Tim with the boost on.

I like the gain high so I have to keep the boost on the Tim, so I won’t get to use the loop for a delay or something to use for solos. This is of course at bedroom levels. I imagine with my amp on slight breakup I could keep the Tim’s boost off and there would be ample gain.

Just an observation! The V3 Tim has a lot that can be tweaked!

SubApathy

Platinum Supporting Member
I forget that the Timmy V3 with the gain toggle set for higher gain is like the Tim with the boost on.

I like the gain high so I have to keep the boost on the Tim, so I won’t get to use the loop for a delay or something to use for solos. This is of course at bedroom levels. I imagine with my amp on slight breakup I could keep the Tim’s boost off and there would be ample gain.

Just an observation! The V3 Tim has a lot that can be tweaked!
I have a Timmy v3 so I thank you for that information.

Aromero19

Just got my V3 in as well and I completely agree that its difficult deciding where to keep the settings at due to the flexibility. Call me crazy but I feel like this is the first time where my les paul sounds a lot like a louder amplified version of acoustically strumming it. Without the pedal, my deluxe reverb slightly hides the aforementioned qualities. Great pedal!

coltonius

Señor Member
Silver Supporting Member

Agreed, the boost is mainly increasing the amount of gain on tap. It raises the volume ever so slightly but is essentially there to add gain
It’s part is the first gain stage inside the overdrive circuit. It’s not an independent pedal (boost/drive/whatever) though.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
The boost function depends on how you've set up the main drive. If you're using it as a transparent boost (EQ all the way up, both switches in the middle) then the boost will give it a tiny bit more distortion and a lot more volume. If you've got some crunch going on, which compresses the signal, then the boost will mostly add gain with a smaller increase in volume.

My Timmy V3 is at church so I can't compare that, but here's what I'm thinking:
Timmy V2 is the quintessential transparent OD with nice clipping options and very flexible EQ. Let's say the amount of distortion on it is 1.0. Overall clean volume can go up to 1.0.
The Tim V2 has 0.8 distortion, that bumps up to 1.3 when the boost is engaged. It has a single clipping option (on a push pull switch) and has the same basic EQ as the Timmy (bass before, treble after drive). Clean volume has more of a push than the Timmy, say 1.2 with the boost on and set clean.
Tim V3 feels like it has just a hair less gain than the V2, say 0.75 without and 1.25 with the boost? Clipping options are 3 (I assume little clipping, asymmetric and symmetric) and the high cut has off, some and more. EQ on the boost is about the same as the V2.

All of them clean up very well with guitar volume. All of them share the same character of distortion (what I'd describe as a little hard edged, even though the Humbucker V2 has a 4558 chip). You can fix that with the tone knob to warm things up, and of course the high cut helps on the V3.

If I had to choose, I think I'd still take the Tim V2 as my favorite, but the V3 is 99% there with more flexibility in terms of clipping and EQ, plus those sweet soft touch switches and the new graphics. Definitely don't think the older version is worth twice as much! And yes, I hear you about video, but my wife is watching TV in the next room right now, so it's a no go.

Jschoi

Silver Supporting Member
The boost function depends on how you've set up the main drive. If you're using it as a transparent boost (EQ all the way up, both switches in the middle) then the boost will give it a tiny bit more distortion and a lot more volume. If you've got some crunch going on, which compresses the signal, then the boost will mostly add gain with a smaller increase in volume.

Timmy V2 is the quintessential transparent OD with nice clipping options and very flexible EQ. Let's say the amount of distortion on it is 1.0. Overall clean volume can go up to 1.0.
The Tim V2 has 0.8 distortion, that bumps up to 1.3 when the boost is engaged. It has a single clipping option (on a push pull switch) and has the same basic EQ as the Timmy (bass before, treble after drive). Clean volume has more of a push than the Timmy, say 1.2 with the boost on and set clean.
Tim V3 feels like it has just a hair less gain than the V2, say 0.75 without and 1.25 with the boost? Clipping options are 3 (I assume little clipping, asymmetric and symmetric) and the high cut has off, some and more. EQ on the boost is about the same as the V2.

All of them clean up very well with guitar volume. All of them share the same character of distortion (what I'd describe as a little hard edged, even though the Humbucker V2 has a 4558 chip). You can fix that with the tone knob to warm things up, and of course the high cut helps on the V3.

If I had to choose, I think I'd still take the Tim V2 as my favorite, but the V3 is 99% there with more flexibility in terms of clipping and EQ, plus those sweet soft touch switches and the new graphics. Definitely don't think the older version is worth twice as much! And yes, I hear you about video, but my wife is watching TV in the next room right now, so it's a no go.

That’s interesting. The V2 was my least favorite. Still trying to determine if I like V3 or V1 better.

I’ll need more time for the final verdict. Either way, good stuff.

PaulC

The Tim V3 clipper set to the left is the same as the "UP" V2 asymmetrical setting. The V3 to the right is the "MIDDLE" V2 symmetrical setting. The V3 middle position is a new, higher headroom asymmetrical setting.

The Tim V3 uses a 4558 like the original Tim V1 (but runs on +- 9vdc) while the V2 Tim & Timmy used a 4559. V3 Timmy uses a 4580.

The Timmy V1 & V2 have a max gain of 49.6dB (1Mohm gain pot). The V1/V2/V3 Tim & V3 Timmy all have a gain of 43.6dB (500Kohm pot) in the main mode, and a gain of 63.6dB in the Boost mode.

Last edited:

pete692

Silver Supporting Member
The Tim V3 clipper to the left is the same as the "UP" V2 asymmetrical setting. The V3 to the right is the "MIDDLE" V2 symmetrical setting. The V3 middle position is a new, higher headroom asymmetrical setting. The Tim V3 uses a 4558 like the original Tim V1 (but runs on +- 9vdc) while the V2's used a 4559. V3 Timmy uses a 4580.
Which clipping setting is the same as the V1 without the pull knob pulled out?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom