Tim V3 Arrived. Quick Review

Longer

Silver Supporting Member
Yes, this is an old tread, but seeing how I just bought one, and how this is the best Tim V3 review thread I can find, I’ll be re-reading this several more times until my Tim V3 arrives.
So… Any new reviews by chance?

hugocaster

F3E14A97-5FDF-4BBD-BD8C-5B1E87D1F493.png

I got mine 2 weeks ago. This thread help me a lot to get the idea of how the V3 sounded like. It’s safe to say the reviews describe the sound really well. Echoing to those, yes it’s smooth and compressed in a really good way.

I use jazzmaster into victory VC35 and Blackstar St James. I’m an indie rock/alternative musician and V3 easily delivers the nice details for chord works. The mid sits just right and I like how the bass and treble control is interacting with gain.

It’s so warm but didn’t get lost in the mud. I can hear the string “breathing” if that make any sense. The clarity and definition is preserved even in the higher gain setting with the boost kicked in.

For the dynamic, it’s good. I can feel it under the fingers how this pedal interact with how soft/hard my strumming. It’s not too crazy responsive but no complaint here.

The boost is positioned pre gain so it only add more gain. What I like about the it is I can leave it on and set the gain low so when the pedal is switched on, it’s already have some good amount of grit and compression. The tone knob is really useful and will give you good amount of highs if needed.

Overall I’m happy with the V3 and this is my first @PaulC pedal. I tried Timmy and Tim but it was years ago so I didn’t have a good audio memories to compare the V3. Like others said, this is a great low-med gain OD. Sweet spot is everywhere.

Last edited:

scott757

Supporting Member
No, big change from the Treble knob. Tone's effect seems to relate to where I have the boost gain set.
Any chance you plugged into the fx loop? Feels silly to ask. But not use to have that many inputs in a dirt pedal.

Agreed

No, the FX loop is fully utilized by a Timmy :) To be clear, I am not having any unexpected behaviors with my Tim V3 and it's working great for me. So great that when Paul put some Timmy 15th Anniversary edition V3s up for sale on Reverb the other day, I pounced to fill out the "current gen PaulC pedal" lineup - Tim V3, MXR Timmy I already had, and the incoming Timmy V3. Love me some Tim/Timmy pedals, I definitely recommend them!

billbfoot

Gold Supporting Member
View attachment 789049

I got mine 2 weeks ago. This thread help me a lot to get the idea of how the V3 sounded like. It’s safe to say the reviews describe the sound really well. Echoing to those, yes it’s smooth and compressed in a really good way.

I use jazzmaster into victory VC35 and Blackstar St James. I’m an indie rock/alternative musician and V3 easily delivers the nice details for chord works. The mid sits just right and I like how the bass and treble control is interacting with gain.

It’s so warm but didn’t get lost in the mud. I can hear the string “breathing” if that make any sense. The clarity and definition is preserved even in the higher gain setting with the boost kicked in.

For the dynamic, it’s good. I can feel it under the fingers how this pedal interact with how soft/hard my strumming. It’s not too crazy responsive but no complaint here.

The boost is positioned pre gain so it only add more gain. What I like about the it is I can leave it on and set the gain low so when the pedal is switched on, it’s already have some good amount of grit and compression. The tone knob is really useful and will give you good amount of highs if needed.

Overall I’m happy with the V3 and this is my first @PaulC pedal. I tried Timmy and Tim but it was years ago so I didn’t have a good audio memories to compare the V3. Like others said, this is a great low-med gain OD. Sweet spot is everywhere.
Great write-up! You captured a lot of what I like about the Tim v3 but haven’t been able to put into words quite as effectively!

DadBandJammer

Has anyone directly compared the Tim v3 to the Timmy v3? Is the Tim essentially the same, but with the gain toggle moved to the boost footswitch? Plus the extra clipping toggle position, effects loop, and tone control for boost?

I own a Timmy v3; just trying to determine if the Tim essentially just adds more tweakability/flexibility, or if the actual core tonality has changed noticeably?

hugocaster

Great write-up! You captured a lot of what I like about the Tim v3 but haven’t been able to put into words quite as effectively!
Thank you, this actually my first long write up review since joining tgp. English is not my first language, so it’s good to know someone enjoy it

Agreed

Has anyone directly compared the Tim v3 to the Timmy v3? Is the Tim essentially the same, but with the gain toggle moved to the boost footswitch? Plus the extra clipping toggle position, effects loop, and tone control for boost?

I own a Timmy v3; just trying to determine if the Tim essentially just adds more tweakability/flexibility, or if the actual core tonality has changed noticeably?
I should be able to pretty soon, got a Tim V3 on my board and a Timmy V3 shipping now.

I just lost at least 30 min of my Sunday afternoon playing though this setup…… I couldnt put the guitar down after turning on my Tim.

Guitar is a homemade job with P90’s and amp is a 5E5 inspired amp made by Lil Dawg.

What a glorious tone. I’ll have to mow the lawns next weekend I guess
83195C8C-668D-4689-8790-FDECE99C327F.jpeg

MadaFaka

Silver Supporting Member
As i see your settings (and there are many out there buddy that do the same), i don't understand the point of using an volume knob on the eff pedals below 10 o'clock.. I mean, the sound doesn't live at all. Passing 12 going towards 2 a 3 o'clock it's the zone that magic happens. For more organic sound there's no use taming it under 12 o'clock..

sir-vector

Silver Supporting Member
I’m super interested in the Tim v3 but would prefer the FX loop to be switchable between pre-dirt, post-dirt and completely off. Is it possible to order a custom modded version directly from Paul or is this mod something that my tech could do easily?

@PaulC

Trending Topics

Top Bottom