Tim VS Fulldrive2

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Last Nerve, Jul 30, 2006.

1. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

Are these similar? I mean, other than being an OD and a boost.
    I've never played a FD2, or the 10th ANN model either.

2. Ken

Ken Member

The Fulldrive II has its own smooth mid-range kind of tone while the TIM is a very transparent overdrive...Two different animals in the "Overdrive Jungle".

3. Cusack Effects

Cusack Effects Member

Between those two, the TIM for sure. As long as you can find one.

4. theanalogfuture

theanalogfuture Member

I have a question,
    Actually two:

Who uses the FX loop with their Tim, if so what/what kind of FX do you you use/recommend?

AND

Are the Boost and OD seperate on the TIM? Or does the OD have to be on for the boost to be activated like of the FullDriveII?

5. drolling

drolling Member

Equalizers, to fine tune your tone from guitar to guitar, amp to amp.. Paul once send me a pic of a prototype EQ/compressor pedal that would be perfect for TIM's loop, but for now I'm using a Morning Dew EQ or a Sea Blue EQ
    Seperate. The boost circuit even has its own tone control. Of course they can be combined as well. Brilliant but simple & straightforward design

6. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Supporting Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by theanalogfuture
    Are the Boost and OD seperate on the TIM? Or does the OD have to be on for the boost to be activated like of the FullDriveII?

The boost feature cannot be used seperate of the overdrive. It operates similar to the fulldrive in that manner. The boost knob (pot) is in series with the gain pot to add extra gain. The tone control on the Tim is a bass roll-off which is pre-gain stage in the circuit, and negates the bass control preset on top of the pedal when the boost is activated.

The Tim is a much superior and more amp-like sounding pedal to me.

7. theanalogfuture

theanalogfuture Member

Wait...I'm confused, who's right?

8. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Supporting Member

:BEER Me, of course...;)

I've had a couple of Tims and two Timmys and an orange and blue fulldrive.

9. Tone

Tone Member

If you have something in the loop, does it only become activated when the boost section of the pedal is engaged? Or does it work in the first stage of the pedal also?

10. willamps

willamps Member

As an earlier poster noted, the Fulldrive is very much in the tubescreamer camp. The Tim/Timmy in contrast is a much more transparent OD. I personally think it is the most transparent OD ever built by anyone. That may not be what you want however. Tubescreamers sound good because they add mids and take away bass from the straight signal. That sometimes is a great thing. Another difference, the boost setting on the Fulldrive gets very loose and overcompressed IMHO, while the boost on the Tim retains more punch and dynamics. The Fulldrive is one of the best TS clones if you like the liquid smooth TS sound. I personally much prefer the Tim/Timmy. I have used the effects loop on the Tim to put in a non true bypass pedal like a Bad Monkey to toggle it off or on when the Tim is on, and to get it completely out when the Tim is off. Works like a looper of sorts. If you want the best of both worlds, track down a Way Huge Green Rhino which was a very transparent yet very liquid sounding tubescreamer clone. It used a 4559 chip rather than the 4558.

11. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

Very different pedals! The Fulldrive has stood the test of time and is simply one of the best TS type of OD's ever. It has a really nice clean boost mode too! I'm not the biggest fan of TS pedals but the Fulldrive II is a very, very worthy spin on that theme.

I'm new to the Tim pedal but it's voiced exactly the way I prefer and sounds totally incredible with my Tele & Strat. Think Jayhawks & Tom Petty. A very sweet and smooth tone that actually makes my 2x10 amp sound like it's pumping much more air through the speakers. Incredible pedal!

12. radcliff

radcliff Member

I had a shootout between a Timmy and an FD2 and the FD2 won....

I was gigging with the Timmy for a couple months, and I could never get it to where it responded with my rig the right way, I always had too much high end, too little high end, or it was too grainy in the gain.

When my FD2 arrived, it was exactly was I was trying to get from the Timmy. As I look back, I probably should have kept the Timmy a bit longer for more comparisons, but I don't regret it to the point when I would buy it back. The test that sealed the deal, was when I was able to get close enough to the Timmy with the Fulldrive.

Also, the Fulldrive has been much easier to use live, as its mid knob works very well within my rig. This comparison was done on the Flat Mids setting of the FD2. And another reason for keeping the Fulldrive was because I had to other toggle settings I hadn't even scoped out yet.

I would keep them both, but I had a shelf of pedals for a little while, and really can't justify it, as I would never play the stuff on the shelf.

The Timmy is quite a great sound though. The high end bite is a great lead tone with a strat. It gives a very amp like sound. You wouldn't know a pedal was on.

13. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

For years I used an FD2 FM pedal. I used the first level drive as my almost always on overdrive tone and the boost to thicken for solos.

After a while I found that the FD2 was just a bit more congested in the mids than what I wanted for my chord/dirty rhythm tone, and to get enough solo boost the boost gain had to be set much dirtier than I liked.

I now use Timmy for my dirty rhythm sound now and couldn't be happier. If I want "fat" for single notes I use the Klon to thicken and boost the much more transparent TIM/Timmy base tone..

14. drolling

drolling Member

Yes! - They're quite right & I'm completely wrong.. Probably won't be the last time either:jo !!

I've only had mine for a few days, and I must have had the gain dialed waay back when I was playing w/the boost on.. You can get a fairly clean sounding boost fom this pedal

Sorry for any confusion I may have created:crazy

15. guitardude5

guitardude5 Member

I spoke with Paul C a couple weeks ago when I ordered my Tim. He did describe it as very transparent. The way he put it was, "if you like the sound of your amp cranked, then you'll love this pedal." This makes the sound of it very subjective based upon your rig. For example, the Tim through my Naylor SC38 combo sounds great. It's a relatively low wattage amp that can be pushed to get some great OD at club levels. The amp sounds really good on its own. When you kick in the OD of the pedal, it is subtle. When you turn it off again, you ask what the heck just happened? The pedal adds a richness to the sound without masking the sound of the amp. I tried the same pedal through my Fuchs TDS 50, and it didn't sound as good. The Fuchs on its own has a lot of tones on tap - California clean, ODS clean, and a high gain 3rd channel. The amp is also VERY loud, so cranking the amp with the pedal can hurt the ears unless you have a large venue to let 'er rip. Paul also mentioned he did not care for the sound of them pedal through a Twin, but did say it sounds great through some of the lower wattage Fender amps.

I also have a '96 FD2. This pedal is easier to just plug in to almost any amp and get a good tone without really having to work hard to get it. I have a friend with a Analogman TS9 silver mod. We hooked it up and compared these two. The silver mod pedal had better note articulation meaning you could hear each note ringing in a chord more clearly. The FD2 had more mids and was had a spongier feel. If I were playing my Fuchs, then I would bring this one if I needed that sound.

On the bright side, Paul offers a return policy on his pedals if it's not for you. What do you have to lose? Give it a shot!

16. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

Got the Tim...loving it.
    Was just wondering about the FD2.

17. stucker

stucker Member

I owned a Fulldrive II and never really bonded with it. There was just some tonal characteristic (probably the midrange) that I could never dial out. Plus, it never responded to my pick attack very well (too compressed).

My Timmy is completely different. It seems to highlight all my picking dynamics and retains my guitar and amp characteristics. The tone controls are the best. For lower gain settings I can up the treble and bass. For mid-gain settings I can cut bass and treble to emphasize the mids. Sounds great with single coils and Fender amps!

18. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Not sure what else to say, except that there are some cool alternatives to the FDII. My Zim has booted it off my board, due to the completely independent channels (red/green/both) for 3 different drive/EQ levels. My only gripe is the tone "knob" being an internal pot for each card.

19. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

What's the difference between the Tim and the Timmy?

stratzrus

20. drolling

drolling Member

Less & less - as of about 2 weeks ago Paul added two clipping diodes to Timmy, which has 'smoothed out' the tone, apparently bringing it closer to the sound of TIM's overdrive circuit. But TIM's about twice as big and has an effects loop and a clean boost, too. Well worth the extra $50, IMO, unless your board's already cramped for space.