Tim vs. Timmy Help Please :)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by js5255, Jan 31, 2012.

1. js5255

js5255 Member

so i want to get a tim or a timmmy. i currently play through an analogman ts9 (silver mod) but its just too muddy for my liking even with the gain at 0... the tim pedals seem much cleaner and the strat sound really seems to shine through... can anyone inform me of the differences between the tim and timmy and the versions? i would prefer the tim for the boost option, but really want to know more about the different paul c pedals before i make my decision. thanks!

2. Delayed Delay

Delayed Delay Member

Pretty sure the Boost in the Tim is the only difference tone wise. He hasn't changed the tone of the pedal, apart from a couple VERY minor adjustments... Maybe he'll chime in here... But the biggest changes were more moving the internal switches to the outside of the pedal and rearranging the layout of the Timmy.

3. js5255

js5255 Member

yeah it seems like version 2 is just putting the switches on the outside. and the tim has the boost option. how useful is the boost? how do the controls on the back of the tim differ from the controls on the top?

4. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

You should probably look up the pdfs for the two pedals. The Tim is slightly lower gain than the Timmy, but the boost pushed it into slightly higher gain. The knobs on the back give you more flexibility in the exact sound you're looking for and to my ears the whole thing sounds a little smoother. BUT the biggest issue is size, if you've got room and cash for teh Tim, I'd go that way.

5. crxshdxmmy

crxshdxmmy Supporting Member

Do a search. There are probably a hundred other threads that ask this same question. Several of which, I'm sure, Paul has even commented in.

6. jb4674

jb4674 Member

Do you guys know if the current version of the Tim has a push/pull pot in the boost section? I was under the impression that the "drive" knob was a push/pull pot.

7. meterman

meterman Member

Basically very similar, the Timmy has an amount of gain somewhere between what the two sides of the TIM have, so the TIM does have more overall gain available with the boost on. The EQ circuit is the same

The Timmy uses smaller pots but I don't think that affects the tone

With the TIM you get the FX loop and the boost, which has controls on the back of the pedal for gain and bass rolloff control, and the boost gain is a push-pull pot that controls the clipping style for the whole pedal

Timmy V2 has the clipping options on a toggle instead of internal dipswitches, and the power jack on top otherwise it's the same as V1

I have both, I can set them to essentially sound the same but I prefer the TIM by just a hair, not sure why but I think it's b/c there is a wider pot taper in the "cleanish" zone that I prefer and therefore I can dial it in more easily.

8. bandintheclouds

bandintheclouds Supporting Member

I second these sentiments. I bought a Tim and still have it. I had a Timmy for a while, but I sold it because it essentially did the same thing, but with a more abrupt taper, and the Tim has the boost.

Great pedal...I seriously doubt that one will leave my board. It plays very well with everything else.

9. teleclem

teleclem Member

I guess it just really depends on whether or not you'll use the boost feature. You to remember that it won't work with the od side "off". The Tim is bigger, so if you won't use the boost, the Timmy would be better for board space.

I've had both - they don't sound 100% the same (got to try a different pair side by side). But the differences are hard to tell, really.

10. geodr

geodr Member

As Paul told me, Timmy is slightly higher gain to make up for the fact it doesn't have a boost feature - Tim has a 500K gain pot and Timmy has a 1M gain pot. Paul said Timmy should sound like Tim set about 2 'oclock lower. Personally I like the lower gain Tim but the Timmy format, so ordered a Timmy with the Tim gain pot.

11. meterman

meterman Member

interesting idea and an easy mod, I may give that a shot and see how I like it.

12. dank

dank Consummate Beatles Fan Supporting Member

After speaking with Paul in September, I ordered the Tim. I felt that the price for the added boost function was worth it. I received the pedal just a couple of weeks ago, and I like it very much.

13. crxshdxmmy

crxshdxmmy Supporting Member

Maybe that's the reason I love the Timmy, but haven't ever gotten along with the Tim! (Besides the fact that the fx loop is completely lost on me, the tall box bugs me to no end and the fact that the boost doesn't add any significant volume.)

14. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

I ordered the Tim mostly cuz of its 500 pot. I also like the looks better. And the boost is a bonus.

15. hrcnsfan

hrcnsfan Member

The push/pull pot went away with v.2. There's now the three-way toggle on top that gives you three (as opposed to two) different clipping stages.

16. jb4674

jb4674 Member

Good to know. Thanks for the info hrcnsfan :)

17. kingdavidy2k

kingdavidy2k Member

I had both but not at the same time.

Tim: was really wowed by how transparent and nice it is when stacking with other ODs. Sold it to fund other ODs to try out but definitely one of the pedals I would go back and buy again to keep permanently.
    Timmy: surprisingly wasn't as impressed as when I got my TIM. I thought it would sound exactly like one channeled TIM. But to my ears Timmy was a bit harsher and tiny bit more hi-fi sounding. Didn't bond at all.