Tim vs Timmy

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by brenkj, Feb 17, 2012.

1. brenkj

brenkj Supporting Member

I have a Timmy and I LOVE it. Can anyone weigh in on any differences between the Timmy and the Tim. I know the Tim is two-stage gain. Has anyone noticed any differences compared to the Timmy in terms of the tones it produces, the way it works, etc.

Thanks.

2. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I'm told it's the same circuit less the Boost and FX Loop of the TIM from many...

But,

I hear differences so I lean to the TIM and not because of the Boost or FX Loop.

YMMV

3. tonegangster

tonegangster Silver Supporting Member

4. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

Do a search. There are a bunch of threads on this topic.

5. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Some people say the Tim is warmer, when I had both, I didn't notice any significant difference. I wasn't a huge fan of the Tim's boost and couldn't find a use for the fx loop, so I preferred the smaller footprint of the Timmy.

6. MasterEvan07

MasterEvan07 Supporting Member

Interesting...I've got a Timmy coming and I already have a Tim, should be and interesting comparison...but then again I put two Tims up against each other and there was a noticeable difference between the two. Turned out there was a 10% difference in one of the pots. I just want a portable preamp stage, i.e. the Timmy.

7. JackStraw12

JackStraw12 Supporting Member

Seems like one could put an EQ into the effects loop on the Tim. I wish Paul made a Timmy with an FX loop.

8. Brian Lusky

Brian Lusky Member

I have both. Tim is on my main board, Timmy is for my more portable grab and go board. You can get them to sound the same, but with slightly different knob positions. In my experience, Timmy gets dirtier just a hair quicker.

9. coralreefer

coralreefer Senior Member

I've got both...Timmy pre-dirt and Tim post-dirt...2 completely different sounds...

With much humbleness, I would advise people to spend more time experimenting with position of Tim/Timmy in their chain and less time worrying about micro differences between boxes. Didn't mean that to sound so lecturing.

10. dlc1953

dlc1953 Member

Just got my Tim a few days ago and have had a couple of Timmy's. Take a Timmy at 2 or 3/a Tim at 12 0r so and bring in the Boost at 10 and I get a significantly thicker /beefier tone and clearer than the Timmy. To me the Boost brings it more into a medium to medium high gain configuration. I hear some BB kinda tone with the 2 on and messin with the EG's.IMHO. I like it alot better than just Timmy.It is a bit chunky in size though.

11. TREV FLINT

TREV FLINT Member

anyone stack a tim into a timmy?

I have been using my tim with the boost on lately as a medium gain drive and it sounds killer. I am wanting to put something after it as a lead boost and was wondering if I should just get a timmy instead of trialing other pedals.

12. MasterEvan07

MasterEvan07 Supporting Member

[​IMG]

13. coralreefer

coralreefer Senior Member

Not a big fan of running Tim > Timmy or Timmy > Tim...somewhat devoid of "tone"...what I mean is I agree with Paul when he says they were made really to complement other pedals, not themselves...2 transparent pedals gives you transparent "tone"...no color...I bought the Tim thinking I would add it to Timmy but I no like Tim + Timmy.

14. Jules-RM

Jules-RM Member

I wish he made a two channel version of the Timmy with the effects loop of the Tim.

As it is right now I'd go Timmy.

15. ThePenwellCrash

ThePenwellCrash Supporting Member

Umm... :huh What am I missing here? Wouldn't that be a Tim?

16. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

I hear the difference is in the volume pot? I think the Timmy is 500k and the Tim is 1M?? Or the other way round........

17. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

[​IMG]

18. TREV FLINT

TREV FLINT Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TREV FLINT [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TREV FLINT [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    just asking!

19. Telecasteur

Telecasteur Member

I believe this is a Fetto Nord endorsement.

20. ken_chapple

ken_chapple Member

The Tim and Timmy are great transparent drives, as opposed to a TS, which compresses your tone. The Tim is basically two Timmy's for the price of one, but they do have subtle tonal differences, and the EQs behave differently. I don't really see a need to run a Tim into a Timmy or visa versa. Here's a demo of both pedals side-by-side http://guitardemo.com/effects/tim-vs-timmy/