Time-based effects for analog synth

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by cjcayea, Feb 9, 2015.

1. cjcayea

cjcayea cool as a cucumber in a bowl of hot sauce Supporting Member

What are you guys using with your keyboard/synth rigs? I've noticed that strymon and eventide delay and verb pedals are pretty popular for this, but what are some good ones in this vein in the <200 dollar category? Anyone using one of those line 6 multi effect units?

2. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

For just general time-based effects, I recommend you consider the Zoom MS70CDR or the Zoom B1on or B1xon. The MS70CDR has some great time-based effects (modulation and delay). The B1xon doesn't have the full variety, but its selection is definitely not shabby. and it does have the expression pedal, allowing you to sweep the resonant filters, affect the pitch bend, and so on. If I'm going to rest the pedal on my controller, I use the B1on or the MS70CDR. I don't think the patch switching is practical on the MS70CDR for floor use, but if it's right at hand, it's great to use for all kinds of things: chorus or phaser on Rhodes, multiple serial detunes to fatten up a single oscillator, and so on. The delays are great on it as well.

On both the MS70CDR and the B1(x)on, there is a decent tremolo which allows both up and down sawtooth waves. When you apply either to a pad, you get either a dreamy backwards-sounding attack, or a percussive beat. Some tremolos don't even have sawtooth, limiting you to an even triangle or a square wave, or just a sine wave. Having both up and down sawtooth is great.

If you're already using MIDI clock, I highly recommend getting a cheap Adrenalinn. Having beat-synched delays and modulations (including sawtooth tremolo) is amazing. I picked up a cheap one, and bought the v3 upgrade kit later. The upgrade path on all of them is the same. Some of the older ones don't have a headphone jack, so keep that in mind and check, in case that matters to you.

Using the Zoom pedal allows you to pull some amazing sounds out of gear like the single "oscillator" Casio CZ101, as well as other simple gear. You havent lived until you set two detunes at different intervals, like the first at 5 cents flat, and the second at 2 cents sharp. The fatness of the "stacked" oscillators is amazing.

I don't know if there are still manuals available online for much older gear, but there is a lot to be learned from how Korg and other companies used simple effects to animate their patches. If you can find manuals for the gear which had chorus, delays and such, you'll find a lot of inspiration.

That might have been more detail than you wanted, and definitely more than the typical TGP "I'm giving a shout-out to this because it's what I always shout!" Still, I hope you find at least part of it helpful.

Now, back to the less in-depth portion of this topic....

3. Nevil Bamshoot

Nevil Bamshoot Member

I recommend an Alesis Ineko. And there's one on eBay right now at a very reasonable price with less than a day to go on the auction, just FYI. it has many available effects; ring mod, delays, reverse reverb, all kinds of modulation and bit reduction, etc. It's full of time-based effects though, and lots of fun to play with.

4. cjcayea

Thanks for the input guys. I didn't know those zoom pedals existed. My previous experience with zoom is less than great, but the MS70 looks to be right up my alley. I also like the adrenalinn iii. I have an elektron analog keys on order and I'm already trying to outfit it with MORE stuff. I might not need anything at all, but it's never about 'need' now is it?

5. cjcayea

No one else huh? Well you guys are no fun

6. awdwon

awdwon Member

The adrenalinn is killer for time based effects

7. stephax

stephax Member

Agree'd

[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/seventizer-mark1-2/btlepretre[/SOUNDCLOUD]