Time For A New Amp

Buck Woodson

Silver Supporting Member
Sounded very thumpy to my ears. Big and clean, but no character. I liked the features, especially that the two channels were identical, but it just didn't speak to me when I played through it.
I tried a Fillmore 50 combo with an ES-330 and they seemed made for each other. Lots of great crunchy character. Shimmery would not be an adjective I'd use though.

saltydogg

Rock & Roll Enthusiast
Platinum Supporting Member
I am mostly a fender amp / tone guy. So this is generally a departure for me as this will be more on the Vox side of things.
I always thought that 'Fender cleans', provided by Fender amplifiers, were my best cleans....but after my first Vox-experience, I find the compression, chime and the natural break-up of the Vox much more appealing. I also find them to take pedals better than BF amps. So, I'm interested to get your thoughts on the Wreck Jr, although not a traditional Vox, I suspect it will give you a general idea of the attack/response, etc.

I hope you dig it but, if you don't like it, you know who to contact immediately...:D

Good luck with it! :JAM

Abandoned

Tweed Tube Tone Purist
I always thought that 'Fender cleans', provided by Fender amplifiers, were my best cleans....but after my first Vox-experience, I find the compression, chime and the natural break-up of the Vox much more appealing. I also find them to take pedals better than BF amps. So, I'm interested to get your thoughts on the Wreck Jr, although not a traditional Vox, I suspect it will give you a general idea of the attack/response, etc.

I hope you dig it but, if you don't like it, you know who to contact immediately...:D

Good luck with it! :JAM
Hey hey!
This was great info to read, especially coming from a guy who likes/liked fender clean tones. I am definitely open to the concept and am looking forward to try something completely different than what I’ve had in recent years.

haha! I read ya loud and clear good buddy ;)
You’re 1st in line... IF :D

Hey guys :)

I sold my beloved tweed amp, I know... I'm a betrayer ;)

I'm now in the market for more of a clean amp, pretty sounding with shimmering highs.

Currently on the radar:

Mesa Lonestar
Mesa Fillmore
Fender DRRI
Dr. Z Z-Lux
Dr. Z Z Wreck Jr.
Dr. Z Cure

Looking for advice. Thanks.
The bones say Fillmore!

Abandoned

Tweed Tube Tone Purist
Well... unexpected turn of events for me, so I’m looking for an amp still.

I do know the following things:

I want 6V6 or 6L6 type. Fender-ish tone.
I’ve re-learned that EL84/EL34 British type amps aren’t for me.

Here’s the amps I’ve tried that I’m walking away from:

- Anything British sounding
- Fender Deluxe Reverb Issues (a bit too plain sounding, I’d like more sparkle and elasticity in feel and to go a step up tone-wise and in build.)

So here’s my updated interests list:

Dr. Z Z Lux
Dr. Z Plus
Mesa California Tweed
Mesa Fillmore
Mesa Lonestar (unlikely)

Last edited:

davednconfused

Silver Supporting Member
I love the Carr Sportsman. I've played a Rambler - they're great too. The Sportsman sits more in the Princeton camp and you can dial in and out the mids to add more bite, dirt and tweed crunch (if that's your thing.) SS rectifier and mixed bias output stage brings the output up to about 19 watts cranked so can compete with a deluxe reverb. Master volume is good if it's over the top. Reverb is phenomenal. Rambler is awesome too - much louder and generally cleaner with a more scooped sound.

tvegas99

Silver Supporting Member
another vote for a Suhr Bella based on your wants, Suhr make incredible products for guitarists

Abandoned

Tweed Tube Tone Purist
Thanks guys for the suggestions. I appreciate it.

I don’t think the Bella or the Carr are for me.

DeadLazy

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I appreciate it.

I don’t think the Bella or the Carr are for me.
I still want to vote for the Zlux but it’s been so long since I went Z, I’ve forgotten most other amps.

I hesitate only because the Zlux has a SS rectifier and I think that gives a feel that’s different to a DR... as I recall.

That said, the Zlux still gets the job done, where Fenders were sort of boring.

Abandoned

Tweed Tube Tone Purist
I still want to vote for the Zlux but it’s been so long since I went Z, I’ve forgotten most other amps.

I hesitate only because the Zlux has a SS rectifier and I think that gives a feel that’s different to a DR... as I recall.

Good to know about the SS rectifier. It sounds great from demos.
I agree about the Fender, can get boring and that’s why I decided to not get a deluxe reverb reissue.

Z LUX BABY! that's the **** right there, straight up killer but 40 WATTs.

Z makes some good stuff. Lots of people like them....but was not real impressed with most of them. Definitely have their own sound.

To me, they are kinda like a poor mans Matchless. Same for the Bad Cats.

Have the Matchless Lightning, C30, Clubman, and Independance. I never wonder about anything Z or Bad Cat makes anymore.
I take great offence to that lol poor mans matchless lol. THE New Maz 18 reverb head has all the bells and whistles a player could ever want and the components and build quality are very high quality, but most importantly it sounds better than anything else I have ever played.

The new version has been seriously upgraded for the discerning musician.

Trending Topics