Time for a New Guitar - Ugh I'm completely lost

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by steveatmojotone, Dec 16, 2009.

1. steveatmojotone

steveatmojotone Member

Well, I ended up selling off my les paul a little while ago to help cover some bills. This was my first les paul, so finding something that will meet up to what I had, (I had upgraded a lot of the hardware, pickups and such) will be a serious challenge. I've been to guitar center, and local used music shop and still havent found what I really want. I've found bits and pieces of elements/ideas that I like but not in one guitar.

Here's what I am looking for:
    Neck: Big thick neck like the 50s les paul
    Semi hollow, but not as big as a 335, the Epi WildCat is the perfect size
    Body: Needs to be an arched type, I have long fingers, Teles and Strat my hand cramps up from playing palm mutes on the flat bodies.
    Tones: cleans - like a P90 (the wildcat sounded really nice on the neck) or brian setzer clean
    Overdrive: Nice growl
    High Gain: Dont want it to flub out when doing palm mutes, I play hard rock about 75% of the time
    Tremolo: Optional (I never use one, dont know how to :) )

Budget: $300-700

I know thats a pretty small budget, but its a starting point.

2. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

You know, the Epi Wildcat really isn't such a bad piece. Ever think of getting back into that and modding it up to where you need it to be?

3. steveatmojotone

steveatmojotone Member

Sure I'd be up for modding it. The stock P90 pickups were really nice sounding on clean (any combination), light overdrive was cool but when going up to high gain, they dont have the PUSH that like a Gibson 500T or high output humbucker would have. Now P90s are a little new to me, I've always played humbuckers. So I wouldnt mind expanding my knowledge on how to handle them. Would throwing a boost in front of it help with the high gain?

On a side note, I have really started to dig some of the Brian Setzer, Rev Horton Heat rockabilly style music too, thus I was considered a hollow body.

4. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

It looks like the wildcat has dogear P90s, so you probably can't pop in some humbucker or filtertron types in there without routing. I'd probably go the Fralin P90s route and ask to have them wound hot.

5. dB

dB Member

reverend manta ray?

6. Rattle&Hum

Rattle&Hum Supporting Member

A used Hamer Artist. Big, '59-like neck profile, semi-hollow and crazy-good quality for the price. They can be found w/ 'buckers or P-90s.

The Manta Ray is a good suggestion... especially if you dropped a SD Phat Cat, GFS Dream 90 or Fralin P92/Twangbucker in the neck.

7. steveatmojotone

steveatmojotone Member

I tried a 335 and Gretsch. Both seemed huge compared to my Les Paul that I have been playing for the last 9 years.

8. johnmfer

johnmfer Supporting Member

I was going to say an ES339 with the 50s neck and some Fralin P-92s, but it's going to cost a little more than your budget.

An Epi Dot meets just about all your requirements, especially if you find a used one made in Korea, and maybe replaced the pickups with some GFS Mean 90s. the only thing is the big body.

Honestly, I really like how big 335 style guitars are, and now that I've been playing one for the better part of a year, all my other guitars feel small. :)