Time for IEM's - What are you using ?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Anthony Gring, Apr 27, 2019.

1. dmock66

dmock66 Member

I'm not a fan of the shared mix either. If I was in that situation I'd have a little mixer on my board and run an out from the Helix to it directly - take the shared mix into another channel - and have my IEMs plugged into the mixer. At least that way you'd always have control over your guitar level in the mix. I did that before going to IEMs - had a mix from the board into Input 1 of my FRFR (Alesis 112) and my guitar direct into Input 2. Regardless of what I was getting from the board I could always mix in guitar.

2. Art_Vandelay

Art_Vandelay Supporting Member

I'll second that. Just got a pair of Alclair Studio 4's a couple of weeks ago, and they sound and fit amazing! They are replacing a set of Shure se846. The Shures are good, but the Alclairs are on a whole different level, for sound and comfort.

3. kev324

kev324 Supporting Member

For the past 2 years I've been using triple driver Aliens, before that was about 5 years with their dual driver model with ambient port. They're decent, about to maybe go through my second cable on them. I have a set of the KZ 5 drivers as backups, they can't be pushed hard at all before they distort. I believe most of the band found the same issue. Drummer has 1964s, I'm going that route when it's time.

4. AriBoiangiu

AriBoiangiu Supporting Member

Bose Noise Reduction Quiet Comfort. Like playing in the studio, 150 bucks b-stock. Haven't used my JH or Alclairs since.

5. RockManDan

RockManDan Member

Currently I'm running some KZ zs7 buds, which have noticeably warmer (less icepick) highs than the previous KZ models. Running them off an audio2000s transmitter, that gets fed from a mackie mix8 board. That board mixes my guitar signal straight from the helix in stereo, with the stereo feed I get from our monitor board. This is my ideal setup, as it gives me individual level and EQ control of what I need. And it's very reliable. I can power it all in the same rack i use for my amp. If i had it to do over again, I'd do the exact same setup.

The advantage to this is that even if you get to a stage/band where no one is using IEM's but you, it still works, because you can just get the same feed that would be going to a wedge, but into your mixer. Bonus points for getting a cheap condenser mic and putting it somewhere so you can hear the room. If everyone else is making stage volume, half the time that's enough right there.

6. precisionguided

precisionguided Member

Shure se846 if you're doing a full mix with bass and drums. I have and have listened to iems costing more than 2x as much and these are definitely the most fun. With triple flanges, the noise reduction is about the same as you'd get from custom iems.

7. sertshark

sertshark Member

I'm wondering how many IEM users are the only users in the band, and if so how that works out? It would be a hard sell for everyone to fork out that kind of dough.

8. John Mark Painter

John Mark Painter Member

If you have a little “MoreMe” rig, it is fine. Take a generic mix from the house and then control your volume.
    My favorite add-on is an ambient mic that I also control.

Playing that way is like having ear plugs that sound good :)

I currently have a Helix Floor and am looking at getting a little rig together using it as my MoreMe and ambient mic input.

It has to be a quick/easy setup or it gets annoying

9. John Mark Painter

John Mark Painter Member

If you have a little “MoreMe” rig, it is fine. Take a generic mix from the house and then control your volume.
    My favorite add-on is an ambient mic that I also control.

Playing that way is like having ear plugs that sound good :)

I currently have a Helix Floor and am looking at getting a little rig together using it as my MoreMe and ambient mic input.

It has to be a quick/easy setup or it gets annoying.

PS
    Just having an ambient mic plus your own direct signal can work fine for small stages/jams. You can place the ambient mic wherever it sounds best.

10. PerFusionist

PerFusionist Supporting Member

I'm in this boat right now...very frustrated with earplugs but tinnitus is creeping up on me :oops: We run our own PA about 15% of the time but often play venues with a house sound guy/gal.

So if some band members are not on board do y'all just steal the feed from your wedge to feed your IEMs?

Also, with a tight seal it sounds like the drums can even get lost. If we have 2 vocal mics and it's usually just one of us singing would the drum bleed into the other vocal mic be enough? Seems like an ambient mic is ideal...

Thanks for any thoughts or guidance!