Time Guitar information and pictures? (Wiki type thread)

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Fineblend, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Fineblend

Fineblend Member

I am a huge admirer of Paul L's work, and even more so with the sounds he helped Trey and the rest of the band achieve, but primarily Trey A.

So in general, any members of the board have information (establishment, construction techniques, quality...) and any pictures of these notoriously hard to find guitars. The only one I've seen is in a promo pic for the band back in the early 80's.

Looking for some researchable stuff here, like a wiki entry thread for others to view as well in the future!

2. imissmj

imissmj Member

www.languedocguitars.com ?

3. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

4. Fineblend

Fineblend Member

Oh man you sir have just made me a happy camper. What a beautiful guitar, unique everything, please anyone have thing more to share, experiences, sound, and general information.

I've made that link my homepage when I first read the article recently online and couldn't beleive it when I found it, more interested in the older stuff, his first incarnations of his early craftsmanship.

5. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Hey , that one was built when I worked there. :) Paul L did the woodwork, Chris C was the Electronics guy and Tim S was the painter. That's the Advance model and Candle Apple Red color. I still have some brochures around my house somewhere, and my friend in Brandon (I think) Still owns the natural walnut Advance that was on the cover of the brochure with a Blue one.

ERIC

6. ericb

The 1st incarnations of Times were the GS models and V's and Explorer types that were built by Allan Stack (and he had 1 or 2 helpers over the years) before Paul worked there. Allen (or Allan SP?) was the founder of Time ... They used to sell them in Darrell's Music on Pearl St in Burlington and Allen's factory/house was south of Middlebury in either Fair Haven or somewhere down that way. If you email Paul , he'd probably have a better memory than me , as he's a 'more together' guy! LOL Those first guitars had a sorta wierd black pickguard on them , and many were made of Walnut, Koa, Mahogany etc.. LOTS of locals here played them and still own them... Then Paul started working there... They made lots of really cool 1 off's , and then in the mid 80s started making 2 models .. The ADVANCE and the PTsomething... Gotta go now, but there's something for ya

Ok, before I go away from the computer...
    - PT stood for Prime Time..
    -When I first started working there they had 1 of the coolest guitars I saw. It was like a headless Steinberger bass but a 6 string guitar and it had Batman graphics.. EVERY fret had a different scene from Batman comics lacquered on it.. Very cool
    - Trey used to be friends with Tim (the painter) there and come in all the time.. They built him a little mini-guitar first... Paul was the luthier at that point
    -Another local guy (or 2) had those mini-electric mandos or guitars
    - There were some neat V's and Explorer shapes with Binding
    - Ya know the inlay (mother of pearl and abalone,etc) that the 70's Ibanez artists had? And the Jems,etc? Paul used to be killer at that stuff
    - I have a strat shaped Time that is like a tie-die finish.. I've redone the pickguard and electronics myself, but I'd never sell it.. It was just in a rack in the back when I started working there.. My friends over the years always called it the "Tide " guitar as it's a yellow/orange sunburst/tiedie
    - Paul built (and/or fixed) every damn machine in that place, and every single jig used for building guitars.. He was very handy, and very innovative. Any of the standard designs they did (like the Red Advance above) were a result of what people were buying at the time, more than what Paul could do .. He could build anything

- You mentioned these guitars are rare and really hard to find.. Well that's true, but wasn't the case in Vt or New England.. Lots of guys in the 80's played them including Run21's guitarist, Jimmy Carter show's Doug Blair , Jimmy Bell (who has a net page and is a renowned guitarist/teacher, Cosmic Joe Caron) ... We built one for Jorma Kaukonen and also for Johnny Winter and Richard Thompson back then.... I met Adrien Belew when he had a band called the Bears and I wanted to get them to build him a Baloo the Bear guitar.... never happened though.....

There's some more interesting tidbits for you . Gotta go

Eric

7. Fineblend

Fineblend Member

I'm not one for the smilies but my mind is overwhelmed with this information and to think I'm conversing with one of the originals! This is all to much, its christmas early, and I'll take anything you've got like a sponge!

Big thanks for all the info guys, one way cool logo!

8. jfalcs

jfalcs Member

Wow, its funny you mentioned the Time Batman guitar!! I work with Tim S at Gadow guitars and we were just talking about that guitar today. I know that Tim was indeed good friends with Trey (and the rest of those guys) and is still in regular contact with Paul. I know he browses the forum from time to time. Maybe if yer' lucky he'll chime in as well:dude

9. RickC

ericb, you the man :AOK

Wasn't the PT a vaguely Les Paul shaped model?

/rick

10. ericb

The GS models were vaguely Les Paul shaped and those were the originals long before the Advance and PT. .. The PT was a more closer to a BC Rich Mockingbird if I had to compare it to something but really not at all like that either. Just a more '80's metal guitar' that the traditional Strat and Les Paul shapes. ... I saw that you guys (the Peacheaters right? ) Played at Nectors and semi-locally to where I live and I missed ya! Damn..... Someday

ERIC

11. ericb

Hey there, the internet has made the world REALLLLLLY Small! I just checked out the Gadow website as I hadn't heard of them and they look great. Tim must've moved South huh? I hadn't seen him in about 20 years (1986ish!!!) I see Paul Languedoc about once every year or 2 and hopefully shortly gonna make a social visit as soon as I get any free time.

Tim , (the painter!) by the way , was in a GREAT original band back then called the Oblique Wave and I loved them.. They had as much potential as Phish , but of course the 'right place in the right time' thing didn't hit them I guess or any other of the assorted ways a band doesn't hit the big-time! We all have been through that.

I remember the 1st time when I worked there that Trey came in to visit and I vaguely remember it was about building his mini-electric. He had brought in some type of Ibanez Artist and an original TS9 pedal and plugged in to whatever demo amp we had there. (I had brought in my 1971 Marshall Superlead at 1 point ) ... My jaw dropped at how cool (and DIFFERENT ) his style was from all the other guitarists I'd known and seen over the years... He blew me away w/in 5 minutes of watching him demo guitars.

I also remember when Dug Blair of Run21 came in holding a suitcase.. He opened it up and plugged his guitar in it and wailed. He had built an amp into his suitcase!! He was a guy who used to ride a skateboard around bars and played solos while doing jumps on his skateboard.

Anyway , the good old days.. I used to see Phish in Minerva's , Hunts, the Front and Nectors and then didn't see them for about 1/2 year and all of a sudden, I heard they were playing in the Catskills in NY at a place called the ARrowhead Ranch. I got my girlfriend to go , only to find that there was 10,000 people there .. . Also they were playing with the Spin Doctors and the Spin Doctors had Little Miss Can't Be Wrong, and 2 Princes all over the airwaves, and I remember being blown away that THEY were opening for Phish , not the other way around! Times had changed.... Then I also remember a free concert once they gave in Burlington's Battery Park . Typically those free shows by National or Regional artists drew about 500 people to the park but this one drew almost 10,000. That was the end of those type of shows there!!

Back to the guys at Time , they all were very very creative, very capable , and extremely hard -working. They had no capital though. A guy that owned a Construction company named Dick Willis who also played Pedal Steel guitar in a local band, bought the company from Time's founder Allen I believe. Meanwhile , Dick would take his hard-earned Construction/Concrete money and sink it into the Time company and then a group of different guys tried to make decisions on how to run the company and/or what kind of guitars to build. I thought it should've remained very much a custom place but they decided to make Red and Blue guitars similar to others that were selling those days. (instead of the natural wood and fancy inlay guitars) . They were WAY BETTER QUALITY than the others and had really unique neck joints that Paul built, etc but still it was hard to find a niche I think ... Also since there was'nt rich people sinking in money , the company had a hard time growing/expanding beyond New England. The ads for Guitar Player or Guitar World magazine cost THOUSANDS for little black and white ads, and this was WAY before the internet ... If the internet was around the company could've kicked butt. But meanwhile I only worked there a year doing all kinds of assorted tasks from PR , sales and marketing (Which I Suck at all of the above) and helping with chores, computer stuff, fixit/grunt work, woodworking, etc (I was about 24ish ) ... Meanwhile about a year after I got done, the factory (which was in a barn ) burned down to the ground and from what I heard they lost everything.. There either was no insurance or it had lapsed or something.. Meanwhile years later I heard Dick Willis died ... Paul meanwhile went on to building cabinets and then becoming Phish's FOH Sound dude, and I hadn't seen Chris or Tim in years!!! They were the only 3 building the guitars . They taught me lots, and it was a cool experience, but I felt bad about the company as it was just too hard to expand...

Simultaneously btw, Paul Reed Smith was building nice guitars , charging big amounts, and grew and grew and grew. Lots of little companies weren't as lucky or didn't have the 'right place in the right time" thing going for them.

If you guys want to know any more details , I might know stuff, but I have such limited time , don't expect any instant answers!!!

Thanks for posting about Tim (and it's FUNNY that you guys just mentioned that Batman headless guitar ... wonder who owns that one? ) and tell him Eric Bresnick that worked with him for a year , says HI and wishes him the best. He was a great guy , and an EXCELLENT bassist, and man you guys should see the TIme Basses he had (Has?)

ERIC

12. RickC

We're back on Sat, October 7th. We're also planning on doing a free outdoor show that afternoon, at some local park, assuming the logistics and the weather work out.

/rick

13. Fineblend

Fineblend Member

Eric man, I'm so grateful for this information being a very huge phish phan/dork, their music took me to new levels of appreciation so thank you thank you, please anymore stories you can write them here for other phans of Paul and Phish or PM them to me! I'm still bouncing around the room all over from your last post! The demoing, oh man to have heard what the licks he was playing.....

For construction techniques and questions that I might have would this be the best place to post?

14. ericb

Hey there, that's neat to hear! I remember years ago when I started posting on this forum a couple of other guys who were REALLY into Phish , Trey , Languedoc etc were really psyched to hear old tales too.. I never was friends with the guys from Phish , but pretty much any musician here in Vt who has a 'broad taste' in music has crossed paths with them somehow or another. I just have a few friends who are really good friends with them. Paul Languedoc and I were great friends until I lost touch with him , but recently at least I emailed him and we started talking and I hopefully will get some time to get together with him. He actually went to my house-warming party in 1987! That's a long time ago huh! As for techniques, Paul is the man to ask . I'm not sure if he'll talk about them or not, but he's really friendly and extremely brilliant and can build or design anything. IF you go to Languedocguitars.com he just recently went into business for himself as he's had demand for his Languedoc guitars ever since Phish got famous. They cost lots of money (way more than I could afford) BUT I pretty much betcha they will be great investments for anyone who could afford them. Phish of course, wasn't a fly-by-night band at all , and was 1 of the most unique and biggest bands of all-time , and of course since he built everything from their guitars and basses to cabinets, and was featured on the cover of international SOUND /MIX magazines etc , his name is very well known. Trey still has loads of projects going and regardless of which great musicians he's playing with , he still is using Paul's guitars! Mike Gordon keeps touring with unbelievable acts too , or putting great bands together himself, and each time I've seen him , he's using some Languedoc or another!
    Anyway, I have no clue how swamped Paul is , but if you want to just email him and tell him you're such a fan, knowing Paul ,he'd be REALLY flattered, and possibly willing to share info with you .

A couple of other neat memories are the 1st time I caught Phish playing a song by Robert Palmer at the old bar Nectors in Burlington. They played about a 10 minute version of Sneaking Sally thru the Alley and man what a killer dance tune they did of that. It was about the time where RObert Palmer had'Addicted to Love" out and I had never heard that old tune that was totally different.

A few other neat memories are seeing Santana playing with Trey and Dave Matthews ... Of course he'd pop in at local shows here all the time , whether they be barbands , or the most famous of anyone, and as soon as anyone recognizes him the crowd goes crazy..

Im going to watch the Cowboys game now!! I grew up in Texas and am a real Cowboys fan... The rest of Vt likes the Giants or Patriots! Catch ya later
    ERIC