1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Time Limited Self Deleting of Posts/Threads: POLL

Discussion in 'Interactive Administrator Threads' started by Scott Peterson, May 9, 2019.

Should TGP institute a new guideline that would time limit the ability to self delete posts/threads

This poll will close on May 23, 2019 at 3:19 PM.
  1. Yes

812 vote(s)
    59.3%
  2. No

558 vote(s)
    40.7%
  1. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Administrator Staff Member

Since the launch of The Gear Page we've allowed unlimited power to members to delete their own posts and in the case of being the original poster (OP) of a thread.

This has caused some issues in the past but more so in the recent months. There are a few threads that have had years on the board, actively being posted to thousands of times that have been deleted by the OP. This strikes many as unfair and thus, this poll will determine the best path forward.

Upon member request and after consulting with the moderator team, I have decided to propose the following and have a two week poll on the topic. Due to limitations in the permissions allowable by the software, we cannot get granular on this. To illustrate, we cannot limit self deleting on the length of a thread; just the time that someone can delete their post. Upon request and review, if the time limit is past you can request that a moderator or administrator delete content.

Please vote. Thank you.

2. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Pedal Trading Guru Silver Supporting Member

I'd rather see a new sub-forum of 'ongoing' long-term threads and leave deletion of said threads by mandatory request of the OP.
    Admins could set criteria for moving the thread off the main forums. Just my thoughts.

dragonfly66 and Okra like this.
  3. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

Do it!!!

EDIT: Since some TGP users may not know, here’s a big reason why some of us have asked for some threads to be protected from deletion. It’s not about a specific thread going sideways. Nor per se, anyway.

It’s about a handful of builders (some of whom use this forum to promote their product) being called out for their failures. They perform “damage control” on these “Bad Deals” threads by promising the OPs to fix their guitars/amps, but only IF they delete the thread.

This is something I posted earlier in the month about yet another thread being deleted:

1. Get wronged by a manufacturer with a dubious reputation.

2. Start a “grievance thread” to coerce said manufacturer to fix your situation.

3. Get additional accounts from other customers who have also been wronged and find out just how deep the rabbit hole goes.

4. Realize that you should have known better. Wonder why you couldn’t find this information before. It would have really helped YOU avoid getting burned if YOU had read a thread with all these issues beforehand.

5. Thank the community for the support. Keep monitoring your thread. You have effectively opened a can of worms. The thread now has a life on its own.

6. Get approached by manufacturer and get offered a solution. Said solution requires you to delete the thread and all of the information within, effectively denying prospective customers the information you yourself wished you had before the whole ordeal.

7. “Screw everybody. Get yours!” The thread was so huge, no one is gonna remember who started it anyway.

8. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    SDB, Melange, DCross and 30 others like this.
  4. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Administrator Staff Member

Won't happen. Too many, completely different topics. It would be a mess.

5. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

I was never bothered by the self deleting function, but of course have read many complaints about it. This seems like a reasonable solution to me, with it being time based rather than number of posts, and a relatively short time too but long enough IMO. I am surprised to see it includes posts as well as threads, never read much discussion on that one.

I predict overwhelming passage!

HeyMrTeleMan likes this.
  6. CRAIG4FSU

CRAIG4FSU Whatever... Silver Supporting Member

I've never understood the outrage. The OP took it upon themselves to start a discussion topic. They should be able to end it. Especially, if it turns into a train wreck.

As far as editing/deleting posts, people change their minds.

7. Juneaumike

Juneaumike Member

I'm not sure what the value is for being able to delete a post. I guess if you are giving out technical information and you later learn that its not accurate then maybe you could delete, but you could just as easily correct it. But otherwise, making a post permanent puts the oneous on the poster to be courteous and responsible in their posts.

I see no value to allowing a poster to delete an entire thread. In fact, I wasn't aware we could do that. And if I took the time to post in a thread, I'd be upset if it were deleted for selfish reasons by the OP. As an example, someone makes an inflammatory or wreckless statement, several people clap back and the OP deletes the evidence based on the earned shellacking they are getting. Could that happen?

These seem like handy features to have if you are a troll. You can be a jerk and go back and clean up your tracks, I suppose. But even there, it seems like it would have a corrosive influence on the forum as a whole.

These are sincere questions and statements. I really hadn't thought about this issue very much.

Washburnmemphis, Jon C and spentron like this.
  8. Seth L

Seth L Silver Supporting Member

The time limit should be 24 hours.

ajm1412, mgscheue, gibs5000 and 14 others like this.
  9. Juneaumike

Juneaumike Member

Because the discussion itself has value to others. The exchange of ideas is important, even when they don't go the way the OP had hoped.

10. magnus02

magnus02 Member

I think 7 days or so is fair. The OP usually knows within a few hours whether or not they just created a mess. Beyond that it just seems they get deleted for selfish reasons.

84superchamp and Seth L like this.
  11. RLD

RLD Member

People say dumb stuff sometimes...I can see why some wouldn't want that floating forever in the cloud.
    Don't we have enough internet shaming going on?
    OTOH, it's fun to read thru old train wreck threads...but I would leave it open to be edited by the owners of dumb stuff.

12. Okra

Okra Member

I like having as many personal rights as possible.

Power to the people in deleting their own threads and posts.

Melange, dohmar, bluwoodsman and 25 others like this.
  13. CRAIG4FSU

CRAIG4FSU Whatever... Silver Supporting Member

A possible side effect of the vote to limit self deletion passing, the requests to delete stuff will fall on the mods/admins.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  14. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

It seems to me that once there's dialog in a thread, the OP shouldn't be able to delete it. It becomes something like a discussion in a public square, "owned" by all the participants.

Individual posts should also probably be locked after some time period, but in some cases, the latest and greatest information on the subject under discussion is gathered by the OP in the initial post, on an ongoing basis. I don't know how to strike a balance between these two conflicting goals.

15. stephen sawall

stephen sawall Member

No

If you don't want things you post deleted when a thread is deleted by OP start your own thread.

bluwoodsman, MrSteve, ROKY and 5 others like this.
  16. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Pedal Trading Guru Silver Supporting Member

Each forum gets it's own sub-forum.
    No different than Emporium Archives with it's 4 sections.
    Guitars in General
    Sub-forum: long term threads
    Doesn't sound messy to me.

17. stephen sawall

stephen sawall Member

Are we going to be given a warning before this happens ?

I plan to delete all or most threads I started before this happens.

18. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Nothing would stop you still from deleting your* own stupidity post by post without wiping out everyone else's contributions, too.

* Your used rhetorically (i.e., I'm not referring here to you, personally).

19. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

Why should the starter of the thread be able to wipe out what everyone else contributes to a thread?

mgscheue, dotpc, JVJ and 12 others like this.
  20. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

See my post above.