Time Limited Self Deleting of Posts/Threads: POLL

Discussion in 'Interactive Administrator Threads' started by Scott Peterson, May 9, 2019.

Should TGP institute a new guideline that would time limit the ability to self delete posts/threads

Poll closed May 23, 2019.
  1. Yes

833 vote(s)
    58.7%
  2. No

585 vote(s)
    41.3%
  1. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

how does that follow?

it's the nuking of big complaint threads that removes valuable information for future prospective buyers.

also, using a complaint thread or the threat of one as an extortion tool against a vendor ("make me happy and this bad thread will go away") seems pretty despicable. threads like that should serve as honest warnings to others, not as self-serving weapons against vendors.

Jay K and Seth L like this.
  2. Fireproof

Fireproof Supporting Member

And therein lies the rub. Many people feel the same. BUT - the software can not accommodate that - you can’t have a different permission for posts vs. threads. Because allowing deletion of any of your own posts would automatically allow you to delete the first post of any thread you started, thereby deleting the entire thread.

So we now must vote for which way to go - all or none.

3. Fireproof

System can’t (effectively) have two different settings for posts vs. threads. So we are voting on DELETION (not editing). Should we limit deletion of posts to under 30 days. This can be any individual post. It can also be the first post of a thread, which would delete the entire thread.

Voting yes = users could delete entire threads they start for only up to 30 days. After that - it would be unable to be deleted (unless a moderator did it by request).

Voting no = users could delete their posts and any thread they started at any time, forever.

Editing would still be allowed at any time. I personally think that’s a great “backup plan” to not being able to delete posts.

If the “YES” vote goes through - then post-30 days, valuable threads can’t be deleted at whim. YET, if you don’t like what you posted in places, you can go edit it to say something like “never mind” or replace your comments if you need to.

And there’s always ONE person that always says “but editing doesn’t help if someone QUOTES you!!” Yeah, no kidding. But that exists RIGHT NOW! If anyone quotes you, you can’t go delete their post. And if you weren’t the thread creator, there’s nothing you can do. So that doesn’t change.

(And if there are ever extenuating circumstances where we need to get around permissions - there’s always the ‘appeal to a mod’ route...)

mobius and Seth L like this.
  4. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Posts. Not that the discussion can’t continue. You can still make new posts so long as thread is open

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  5. Seth L

Seth L Member

It's a matter of semantics, that's all.

6. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

are we clear that this option would in fact exist?

if so then yeah, that seems equitable to both sides here.

7. rockon1

rockon1 Member

@Scott Peterson Is that the case if the the change is made?

8. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Administrator Staff Member

You'd have to contact a moderator to do it. The poster that I was answering was suggesting that the OP of a valuable thread would be unable ever to edit the OP and his assertion was that it would kill off threads that are typically updated on an ongoing basis.

My counterpoint was that essential threads where the OP did want to update the original post could just work with the moderators if this ends up being the policy. The point was that a post could be updated or deleted; but only that it would just have to involve moderator help.

We are not big on just adding workload onto the moderator team but understand that these circumstances would possibly occur.

9. Scott Peterson

See post 554

10. apalazzolo

apalazzolo Supporting Member

I'm being told by the mods that editing would not be allowed after 30 days, except that you could contact a mod with all your free time and make a pitch that the mod should make an edit for you. The mod, with all his free time and compassion and vision, would then consider the matter and (if deemed appropriate) make the edit for you. So there's that.

11. Fireproof

That’s weird. It’s my understanding that you can set different permissions for deleting posts versus editing posts. So I don’t see that the rule about deleting posts would take away our ability to edit them.

@Scott Peterson - can you clarify? It’s still not clear to me if we are ALSO talking about removing Editing permissions as well.

[​IMG]

12. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

deleted

EDITED

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    Heph333, mobius and QRSS like this.
  13. rockon1

rockon1 Member

See post 554. After 30 days no editing without mod help.

14. Fireproof

Well that’s surprising. I’ve used three different forum softwares and they all had different post deletion permissions separate from editing permissions. By user group.

And initial glancing at XenForo suggest that it’s possible to all editing but disallow deletion.

But I’m not the admin and haven’t used this software. So I could be wrong.

15. Scott Peterson

Checking on facts concerning editing vs. deleting. Will reopen thread once I have confirmation.

EDIT: Thread reopened. See Alec's post below this one.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    splatt likes this.
  16. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

You can allow editing and disallow deletion but time limits apply to both editing & deleting.
    Screen Shot 2019-05-12 at 21.21.21 .png

17. Fireproof

Bah. Thanks for the clarification guys. Appreciated!!

18. Tone Loco

Tone Loco Silver Supporting Member

The ability to lock your own threads would solve this. Why not be able to call a halt without nuking t?

Okra likes this.
  19. Tone Loco

Tone Loco Silver Supporting Member

Nor do you. TGP does.

Okra likes this.
  20. Bryan T

Bryan T guitar owner Silver Supporting Member

I just don’t get why folks want to give up the option to easily delete threads you start. From my perspective, it far outweighs losing a post I make when some other thread gets deleted. Especially since I’ve been on forums that have that policy and I’ve seen what it does to discussion.

rockon1 and Okra like this.