Time Limited Self Deleting of Posts/Threads: POLL

Discussion in 'Interactive Administrator Threads' started by Scott Peterson, May 9, 2019.

Should TGP institute a new guideline that would time limit the ability to self delete posts/threads

Poll closed May 23, 2019.
  1. Yes

833 vote(s)
    58.7%
  2. No

585 vote(s)
    41.3%
  1. Dave Merrill

Dave Merrill Supporting Member

Understood and sympathized. So I guess I won't install XenForo locally and try to figure out a fix myself :)

Would you trust any of the devs whose add-ons you already use, if they said they could do it? Anyone else you would trust?

All of which begs the question I asked, would the community be happier if the software worked that way? If not, it doesn't matter who might do it at what cost.

2. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

3. Tone Loco

Tone Loco Silver Supporting Member

Sounds like the subject of another/new poll. Doubt you'll get much traction on a question buried 600+ posts into this one.

Okra likes this.
  4. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Administrator Staff Member

Once the software prunes (it is an automated process that happens nightly) a deleted post/thread it is hard deleted.

Fireproof likes this.
  5. fenderjapan

fenderjapan World Heavyweight Champion Silver Supporting Member

I get the spirit of where this is going, and see both sides of the argument. But I will respectfully vote no because people make mistakes and sometimes don't realize it right off the bat, myself included.

Bogner, pickaguitar, Okra and 2 others like this.
  6. Seth L

Seth L Member

That's why you get 30 days to do what you want.

7. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

I voted yes. I understand we can't get granular. How long would the time limit be? I'm leaning towards at least 15 mins, but maybean hour or two?

I think I've gotten 1 warning in thousands and thousands of posts. Some days, I click reply before I realize that I am in a place that caused me to violate Big Mike's don't be a dick rule. I usually delete my post within the first 15 mins if on further reflection I realize I crossed a line...

Edit: 30 days seems a bit long for me, but I guess I'm still a yes, possibly less gracious than you all are being.

walterw likes this.
  8. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Supporting Member

I'm also curious as to the GDPR implications for a board like TGP. The "right to be forgotten" includes email address (but no, not posts). Email address is a required component of a user account within this message board software, but the current policy (which I completely understand) is that TGP does not delete accounts. It is my understanding that deleting an account would take all the user's posts (and therefore, all threads started by that user) with it. But without deleting an account, the email address cannot also be deleted, making GDPR compliance impossible. I imagine leadership here has already researched and addressed this particular implication, but GDPR is very clear that no TOS supercedes it, so given that TGP has members in the EU, it is a relevant consideration that overlaps the context of this particular discussion.

rizla likes this.
  9. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Didn't the GDPR as adopted replace the "right to be forgotten" with a more limited "right to erasure?"

IGuitUpIGuitDown likes this.
  10. stephen sawall

stephen sawall Member

The reason people delete threads or edit isn't always about their post.
    Some threads just go completely sideways. It's not always about individuals. Human nature isn't some huge benevolent wearhouse of compassion and understanding. Threads can become very corrosive at any time. It can happen years after a thread starts and snowball. I'm not talking about how conversation evolution happens.
    No one owns a thread or post. Once you post it belongs to the owners of the forum. Same as any other private site on the internet. You might not be responsible for what other people post but you are associated with it if you start or post on the same thread.

Go look at feedback on many YouTube videos if you want to see examples of how this happens.

"The biggest update: YouTube will now disable comments on all videos featuring minors. ... Select creators that would otherwise be affected by this change will be allowed to keep comments enabled on their videos. They will be required to actively moderate their comments and keep predatory content off their video pages. Feb28, 2019"

11. stephen sawall

stephen sawall Member

If you want to save anything you might want to do that before people decide what threads they are going to delete if and when the rules change.
    I don't think things are going to change much around here if the rule changes or not. Some people will leave the forum and others will delete any thread they are hesitate about before the change. If it happens or not.

Seth L likes this.
  12. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Supporting Member

Yes, but email address still applies.

A-Bone likes this.
  13. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

I voted No. We don't need MORE rules imo

It's nice because of the freedom we do have

Bogner, Tone Loco, Okra and 1 other person like this.
  14. pickaguitar

It's a nice feeling how so many would like to hold onto my posts for posterity :)

15. Seth L

Seth L Member

Chances are good we won't even read your posts. It's not about you.

16. Seth L

Seth L Member

People went nuts when they changed the software. It settled down after a little while. This is the same kind of thing. Change is hard. :)

stephen sawall likes this.
  17. pickaguitar

[​IMG]

We could set 29 day reminders in our phones ongoing I guess lol

18. Seth L

Seth L Member

I've had a good laugh thinking about the intricate notes people will have to keep if this comes to pass.

19. pickaguitar

Can one still have a mod remove the posts if one is leaving?

Or in a lawsuit or divorce lol

20. Fireproof

Fireproof Supporting Member

All 21,151 of yours? Haha.

pickaguitar likes this.