Time Limited Self Deleting of Posts/Threads: POLL

Discussion in 'Interactive Administrator Threads' started by Scott Peterson, May 9, 2019.

Should TGP institute a new guideline that would time limit the ability to self delete posts/threads

Poll closed May 23, 2019.
  1. Yes

833 vote(s)
    58.7%
  2. No

585 vote(s)
    41.3%
  1. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

We just had another casualty. Many members spent a better part of this morning on what was a mostly respectful (except the OP) discussion, and poof. Gone. Sort of annoying.

2. stephen sawall

stephen sawall Member

Deciding what post and threads to delete before vote is completed in a few days for a few people.

Be interesting to know how many threads and post have been deleted since this poll started ?

Anacharsis, cosmic_ape and rizla like this.
  3. off2kamp

off2kamp Member

"I've never understood the outrage. The OP took it upon themselves to start a discussion topic. They should be able to end it. Especially, if it turns into a train wreck.

As far as editing/deleting posts, people change their minds."

^ this ................. place is ridiculous.

QRSS and rizla like this.
  4. off2kamp

off2kamp Member

"Deciding what post and threads to delete before vote is completed in a few days for a few people.

Be interesting to know how many threads and post have been deleted since this poll started ?"

- I just deleted all of my threads on principle regardless of content. Not into others controlling my content.

5. stephen sawall

stephen sawall Member

Probably many people did the same.
    Since individual post are going to be permanent after 30 days I see a lot more people deleting them also.

I'm sure it will become common practice for some people to delete all threads and post before 30 days.

rizla likes this.
  6. Tone Loco

Tone Loco Silver Supporting Member

I guess this means any posts you did say a year ago will be frozen when the rule goes into effect?
    Or would there be a 30 day period where all existing posts are seen as “current”?

rizla likes this.
  7. ajm1412

ajm1412 Member

Except that all of the posts from others contributing to the thread are not your content and you should not be able to control their content.

Jay K likes this.
  8. stephen sawall

stephen sawall Member

My guess is you need to delete it before the rule changes. Since the post are beyond the time frame.

rizla likes this.
  9. Jay K

Jay K Member

People should be allowed to delete or edit their own posts. They should not be allowed to delete other people's posts, which nuking a thread does.

10. Fireproof

Fireproof Supporting Member

Wow. Makes me curious what kind of posts you guys are in a hurry to delete.

I don’t have anything to hide and nothing posted that I don’t mind hanging out on the internet forever. Just opinions, likes, and dislikes of guitars and gear.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    walterw, Seth L and nickpierce like this.
  11. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

Agreed. But in that same vein, if all that’s posted is the usual gear opinion discussions, what’s the big deal if they get deleted? We’ll all just post them again, and again and again. It’s what we do. People are talking like deleting their gear opinions is like deleting their gear.

Okra, Abram4235, Fireproof and 2 others like this.
  12. UsableThought

UsableThought Supporting Member

For one thing, not all the forums are just about opinion - some have technical info that is of real value.

For example, I frequent the "Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers" forum & frequently bookmark useful threads I come across for future reference. I also rely on being able to search the forum archives for particular topics. There's a lot of expertise being exchanged & a lot of good questions being asked and answered. So preserving this kind of information has real value.

Same goes for the "Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion" forum, which I often visited in the past & will probably visit again - I have lots of bookmarked threads there also. I've also saved quite a few threads as PDFs for the same reason.

And I'll bet there's lots of useful info being exchanged in other forums as well, whether the topic is effects, or modeling, or whatever.

Beyond that, my own view is, TGP is an online community (or many different communities, if you like). As a member of a community, I try to consider not just my own personal preferences, but the preferences of others - in a word, the common good. And I hope other members feel the same way.

I'm fairly certain that the folks who run this place do feel that way - i.e. that community is important. Some forums would make a policy change like this without warning & without asking for input from members; by contrast, Scott Peterson made a proposal (not an arbitrary ruling) & is actively asking for our input. I think we should all appreciate this.

Another way to think of it is that a thread is like a conversation - you need more than one person to have it. It's not a solitary process but a collaborative one. By the same logic, an interesting & productive thread is no longer the property of any one person - not even the OP. Too many people have contributed for that. Which reminds me of another point: in the technically oriented forums that I hang out in, the people who contribute the most tend to be the most knowledgeable; and they also tend to be generous in sharing that knowledge. They are not about to waste time deleting the useful information they have shared - if they thought that way, they wouldn't have shared it in the first place. To me, such generosity is one of the best things about TGP.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  13. Vhailor

Vhailor Supporting Member

People should be able to delete their posts but not entire threads. The poll shouldn't really be couched in binary.

14. stark

stark Supporting Member

I see my posts as impermanent. They have a life and can be killed at a moments notice. I would probably post less if they were locked.

Okra likes this.
  15. Tone Loco

How do you save threads as PDFs? Never realized that was an option.

16. stephen sawall

stephen sawall Member

I doubt any more or less threads and post get deleted. Only thing that is going to change is when it happens.

Tone Loco likes this.
  17. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

I don’t really buy the content lost argument. I’ve been hanging around these board for a looong time. I’ve never seen anything posted just once. And as mentioned somewhere above, just ask the question again. People here love sharing what they know. It’s why we’re all here. Also techie threads rarely get deleted anyway. It’s the “tone is in the fingers” and “are Klons worth the money” threads that go south.

I’m concerned this is a slippery slope. This is the second major “should there be more rules” thread we’ve discussed in a couple months. Seems like lately anytime someone is marginally annoyed at something, there’s a discussion to outlaw it. Too many rules kills everything. The more rules we have, the more likely you will have to start storing threads to keep the info, because the informed people who posted them will likely become lurkers instead of posters.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Okra, Abram4235, Tone Loco and 2 others like this.
  18. Fireproof

Fireproof Supporting Member

I see what you are saying.

I just know there have been threads with invaluable information posted from people with a lot more experience and expertise than myself. Threads that I’ve searched time and again. It would be a shame for some of that to disappear on the whim of one person that happened to start the thread. I’m not great about copy/pasting that info on a personal notebook on my computer (Evernote, OneNote, etc) but maybe I should!

Sometimes threads do take a life of there own and after it does that, I tend to view it as more of a “community thread” than a particular person’s. So it doesn’t seem right for some person to nuke it.

Really the ideal would be to maintain ability to delete individual posts, but NOT the original post that maintains the thread, but as we’ve heard/discussed - that is not currently possible with the software.

But really - it’s not something to get over concerned about (IMHO). I’ve been on forums for different hobbies for years. Some you couldn’t delete after something like 10 minutes. And others you could delete whenever. They all did just fine.

I think it’s great the owners/mods are asking for our input into the decision. Not that they have to go with the majority vote, but it’s nice to have a voice and discuss these things. It’s been great hearing different perspectives and POVs.

UsableThought likes this.
  19. Tone Loco

There already seems to be the option to make a thread “sticky”, which might be a good option for the info rich ones. They are typically done with the OP’s consent AFAICT. The playing technique forum has one on music theory for instance. Amps has one on tube dealers, etc.

Seems like a fine way to archive info that a lot of people say is valuable and it’s seems like no rule changes are required. If there are more than a few they might start filling up a particular forum’s first page, in which case sub forums could be made for the accumulated wisdom. The pub would never need one.
    ;)

Personally I don’t think many threads rise to that level but it might be nice if there was a widget you could push (similar to the “like” button) that would add a vote to make a thread sticky.

rizla likes this.
  20. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

that may be the divide, and where the difference in votes is coming from.

i'm kinda in @UsableThought's camp, the threads i usually post in (and very occasionally start) are gonna be the more technical discussions, the kind that can hopefully have at least a little value as a future reference. i don't want to have what might be a genuinely thoughtful and valuable collection of knowledge get nuked by somebody who is not a mod.

when the latest thread about joe bonamassa playing his relic strat through his klon into his dumble turns into a flame-filled trollfest it's no big loss if it gets nuked by the OP.

maybe the answer is to just harden the threads in guitar tech info, amp tech info, small company luthiers (where all the "wronged buyer" threads are) and maybe live sound/recording, let the rest of them come and go
    :hide

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    UsableThought likes this.