Time Limited Self Deleting of Posts/Threads: POLL

Discussion in 'Interactive Administrator Threads' started by Scott Peterson, May 9, 2019.

Should TGP institute a new guideline that would time limit the ability to self delete posts/threads

Poll closed May 23, 2019.
  1. Yes

833 vote(s)
    58.7%
  2. No

585 vote(s)
    41.3%
  1. Creighton

Creighton Supporting Member

Is this seriously a debate? Lol

2. stephen sawall

stephen sawall Member

Poll ends today at 12:19. Time zone of when this happens is not mentioned
    ...if you want to delete or edit post or threads you still have a few hours. After that it appears it will no longer be a option.

rizla likes this.
  3. UsableThought

UsableThought Supporting Member

Not mentioned because the forum platform allows the time to be automatically converted across time zones to match whatever your local time is.

Thus I'm in New York, which is on Eastern Daylight Time, and I see "3:19 p.m." as when the poll closes. You're in Seattle, three hours away on Pacific Daylight Time, so you see "12:19 p.m."

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    stephen sawall likes this.
  4. chunky48

chunky48 Member

Thought I'd go back and delete any old superfluous posts/threads before I lose the ability to, but, eh, can't be bothered. If we're gonna burn energy in a super-server somewhere, might as well waste space for the lower points of my wit'n'wisdom as anyone else's.

5. Tone Loco

Tone Loco Silver Supporting Member

It seems like the biggest take away from this poll is that a really small fraction of the membership care enough about the subject to bother voting. To me that implies that the vast majority here must not see it as a problem the way it is.

QRSS likes this.
  6. QRSS

QRSS brutalist

0.47% of tgp membership are in favor of making change.

VooDooClown likes this.
  7. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Administrator ^/|\^ Co-Founder of TGP Staff Member

Though at the same time you could also speculate the exact opposite observation at the same time.

The main takeaway is that the membership was alerted, a poll was voted on and we will now weigh that into consideration moving forward.

8. UsableThought

It would equally imply that the vast majority don't object to the proposed change.

walterw likes this.
  9. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

So they’re thinking that by not voting for change, change will occur? :)

10. UsableThought

Obviously it suggests they don't care either way - no strong reason to support, no strong reason to object either.

In other words, their non-participation can't be interpreted as either supporting or opposing the proposal - the same logic would apply either way, meaning there is no actual logic at all.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  11. hogy

hogy Member

I would respectfully ask the administrators to make a very clear announcement if this is implied, and allow for a transition period.

I will delete a lot of my stuff from here before that becomes impossible, I'd just like to have a few days notice to do it.

smiert spionam, Bryan T and rizla like this.
  12. Scott Peterson

We will carefully deliberate this, and there will be a 30 day grace period after any announcement of any change in policy. *If* and when. There is no rush to change, just careful ongoing consideration. Managing TGP has always been a fluid process, not a race.

smiert spionam likes this.
  13. Comanche5

Comanche5 Member

I'm not a big Styx fan, but I can't help but think...

14. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

why? what have you posted that you're uncomfortable leaving up?

i hope it's not any of your more technical repair-related things, those are a nice resource and an asset to TGP.

(in my decade plus here i can't think of a single existing post of mine that i'm worried about being able to delete later on :dunno)

15. Suave Eddie

Suave Eddie Member

For some reason I was unable to vote in the poll. I tried early on shortly after this thread posted but it appeared to be locked. This was way before the poll ended.

rizla likes this.
  16. Scott Peterson

Why didn't you contact me then? There where no issues reported with the poll or any polls.

17. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

While you're contemplating establishing new rules regarding members' deleting their threads I suggest you also adopt a rule prohibiting members from deleting their threads in the emporium. The only safety net we have here on transactions is the feedback system. When sellers delete threads before giving the other party the chance to provide feedback or even verify the item description that "protection" evaporates. Recognizing the sellers sometimes delete emporium threads when they sell an item off site I suggest a status of "Inactive" be added to the FS, FT, FSOT, SOLD, option menu.

Tone Loco likes this.
  18. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Another thread that I was participating in was just deleted.

Getting sick of that.

What's the update on this?

19. atemporal

atemporal Member

missed the poll. It needs a balance. On the one hand people do need a way to retract libellous idiocy. Also and perhaps extreme (for now anyway), imagine you say something innocuous now like I dunno, North LalaLand is a crack pot state run by a madman. No issue. Until in 5 years time the government is run by that chap or his cousin and he starts a crackdown on dissidents in the country you posted from. Now what if instead of something political that state decides music is a problem too, and guitarists who like anything more distorted than folk are public enemy no1? Suddenly you're scrabbling around trying to erase any mention of it... And anyone who thinks this is bizarre certain Asian countries are already ranking their citizens based on online behaviour and usage. This then sets travel permits, access to types of schools and other state services, etc etc. It's potentially quite serious.

equally i can see why full deletion of a thread isn't sensible long after the event - but being able to edit posts is sensible provided it logs when a post has been edited.

lastly, isn't there a legal requirement for people to be able to delete their digital footprint from websites? Or is that just in Europe?

QRSS likes this.
  20. QRSS

QRSS brutalist

if i started a thread two years ago about how i loved my new marshall solid state plastic amp and would suffer embarrassment if somebody were to bump that thread today, i should retain the power to delete it. :)

PLX, CRAIG4FSU and LordThurisaz like this.