Time to break open the piggy bank... DG-335 is back

TRGuy

Anyone experienced any finish checking on theirs? I posted a thread recently about the finish checking on my '08, only tiny 1mm or so bits but had me worried nonetheless. Anyway, I was looking at some new ones today and noticed the same checking patterns on the new ones! Look at this photo carefully, and you can see the check coming from the small end of the cutaway.

1798746_10155386841885253_6967431266502091540_n.jpg

jlb32

Anyone experienced any finish checking on theirs? I posted a thread recently about the finish checking on my '08, only tiny 1mm or so bits but had me worried nonetheless. Anyway, I was looking at some new ones today and noticed the same checking patterns on the new ones! Look at this photo carefully, and you can see the check coming from the small end of the cutaway.

1798746_10155386841885253_6967431266502091540_n.jpg

Mine already has a few very tiny check marks in the finish. One of them is near the diamond cutout.

jlb32

Looking good!! I'm loving mine more by the day. The necks are just awesome on these and the fretboards are some of the best I have seen Gibson use in a while. Nice and dark with killer grain. The pickups and tone are amazing also. Just a perfect hard rock 335 right out of the box.

Jags

Watched the Foo's at the Radio 1 Big Weekend festival in Norwich, UK a couple of days ago and I noticed a slight change to the DG-335 Mr Grohl was playing. Anyone spot it?

_83207417_foo_fighters.jpg

Need a clue? Try this...

Last edited:

jlb32

Watched the Foo's at the Radio 1 Big Weekend festival in Norwich, UK a couple of days ago and I noticed a slight change to the DG-335 Mr Grohl was playing. Anyone spot it?

I noticed he played both the gold and the blue versions at that show. Don't really see the difference you are talking about. The switch tip in the pic you showed has a black tip but they come with the white tip.

TRGuy

I noticed he played both the gold and the blue versions at that show. Don't really see the difference you are talking about. The switch tip in the pic you showed has a black tip but they come with the white tip.

Yup he played the same Blue one he's been touring with for ages, you can tell from the pattern of scratches on the front. Whipped out the gold for everlong as well, believe the rest of the set was on the blue.

jlb32

Yeah, I think he used the Gold version for 2-3 songs and his old Blue version for the other songs.

Probos

Wildwood still has 5 gold ones and 5 blue ones left of the 2nd run. Wouldn't thought the gold ones would be gone by now.

jlb32

Saw Dave tripped and fell off stage breaking his leg. He was playing one of his gold 335's at the time. Wonder how bad the fall messed up the guitar since it was bad enough to break his leg.

jlb32

Wildwood still has 5 gold ones and 5 blue ones left of the 2nd run. Wouldn't thought the gold ones would be gone by now.

It's going to take time for all of them to sell. I'd guess Wildwood and some others aren't wanting to come off MAP much either which will make many go elsewhere for a cheaper price.

Probos

Saw Dave tripped and fell off stage breaking his leg. He was playing one of his gold 335's at the time. Wonder how bad the fall messed up the guitar since it was bad enough to break his leg.

Yeah -- this was the only video of him actually falling off the stage and shredding his ankle/leg.

I would love to see what happened to the gold DG335,...I'm sure it's messed up. Or maybe it weathered the fall well.

mrfett

so just in case anyone was wondering... P-90s in this guitar sound like ass. They might work if you changed the cap values, but with just a pickup swap the P-90s have a terrible midrange quack and just generally sound bad. tried to like them for a few months (big P-90 fan, have them in a lot of my favorite guitars ('56 LP Reissue, LP Jr., ES-330)), switched back to the stock Burstbuckers and all was right with the world again. except the effing ridiculous asking price for these. it's possible that it might've worked if I replaced the capacitors, but I wasn't ambitious enough. so many great sounds with humbuckers in an ES-335, I figured I'd leave the P-90 tones for other guitars.

if i get ambitious i'll do a cover swap and then try a set of Wolfetone Dr. Vintage i have laying around (with nickel covers).

Last edited:

jlb32

I personally haven't even considered changing the pickups in my DG. The Burstbuckers in mine sound amazing. Great balance, clarity and low end. I do know that can vary from guitar to guitar though. I've had Burstbuckers in other guitars and really disliked them.

Took mine to a jam session last night. It's becoming one of my favorites now. Just sounds huge.

mrfett

i'd always wanted to try a 335 with a P-90 so i did. on this guitar it wasn't such a great idea. i'm not complaining about the BBs at all, and i'm not chasing any specific tone, it's just that i got the Wolfetone's for another project and then didn't end up needing them, so i'm just looking to tinker. figure it might sound cool. i'll let you know :)

Gallery

Silver Supporting Member
I usually like to try different pickups, but the BB2 & BB3 combo in the DG has kept me happy so far. I just got a Motor City 2nd Degree Black for the bridge of my ES-335. I'm going to compare with the BB3 in the DG and that might drive me to do a swap.

I've had my DG set up to stay permanently tuned 1/2 step down. I'd even consider going down to D. It does great with the heavier stuff and sounds extra mean tuned down. It was too angry of a guitar to keep at standard tuning.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom