1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Time to buy some less fun stuff. :(

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Msboy2011, May 16, 2011.

1. Msboy2011

Msboy2011 Member

It's time for me to buy some less fun pieces in my rig. New Tuner...? Suggestions? I'm 18 so my cash flow isn't top notch. New cables from amp to pedals and guitar to pedals. New pedal cables too. I have used a Planet Waves Cable kit that I like, but I need a second kit to finish off the board. Suggestions? I need guidance oh wise Gearpage elders.

2. acwild

acwild Member

I just got a Snark tuner from Buy.com for $11 shipped. This was originally for my acoustic guitar as it uses an xlr cable so my pedal tuners were out of the question. Turns out that I really like the Snark. Now I'm contemplating having one less pedal in the chain. It's actually pretty accurate and has a cool display.

3. Lightningrt

Lightningrt Member

TC Electonics Polytune Tuner - lightweight, not too big, easy to read - fab! Better than a TU 12 and the Korg Pitch Black I have owned.

Good price too!

4. mhuxtable

mhuxtable Member

Tuner: get a used Boss TU-2 or TU-3. they're staples...built like tanks, rarely ever go bad & get your guitar is tune. isn't that what you need in a tuner? Get a used one you'll only spend $60 or so.

As far as cables....I dunno how long you need them but I like the Planet Waves classic series...they're well built, I've never had one got wrong & they're not crazy expensive. If you like the kit for your pedals, get another one. Otherwise just get some decent patch cables (not that bright colored multipack!) and be done with it.

5. WoodyStrat

WoodyStrat Member

You used to be able to buy a Pitch Black for $75 on amazon.com but it looks like that deal is gone. They are back to $89. They come up used for pretty cheap used and they work great!

If you don't need one on your board, just get the headstock kind that stays on your guitar. They work great and require no space on your board, require one less power supply and does not jack with you tone at all!

6. Truxton Spangler

Truxton Spangler Member

If you don't mind a buffer the Boss TU-3 is a no brainer choice. It's very fast to get in tune with it. :)

Best regards -T

7. jrjones

jrjones Supporting Member

Well, I do understand not having alot of cash flow. I've used all those mentioned here less the polytune, but now I have the turbo tuner. It faster and more accurate than the pitchblack, tu2, planet waves, etc.

If cash is really an issue, then I'd suggest finding a used planet waves pedal tuner on the cheap. I've owned 2 and got them around 30 bucks each. They both crapped out after a short period of time so at that point I decided to just bite the bullet and spend the cash on something that wouldn't quit or break.

A word of caution, if you get a turbo tuner you probly won't like most others. I can't stand tuning with a different tuner.

:munch

I also just upgraded cables recently. I had always grabbed a handful of the 6" patch cables out of the bucket at GC for 3.50 each, took the ends off and cut up old cables that had gone bad and I replaced to length and soldered them. That's the best way to do it cheaply. I used that for years. I recently upgraded to George Ls. I have about 13 pedals so it can get pricey, but I found some jacks here used and then bought some cable from stompin ground and did my whole board for right around 75 bucks. Not bad. The other method was definitely cheaper, but I gained signal clarity and high end that was being cut by higher capacitance cables when I went to George Ls.

Both methods get the job done, George Ls sound better IMO. Do what you can afford though. If you can't afford the George Ls then go with something like what you have or go down to GC and get some of the 6" cables and cut them up for the jacks, you won't find 1/4" r/a jacks for 1.75/each anywhere else to my knowledge...

8. Selsaral

Selsaral Member

I recommend a headstock tuner. They are plenty accurate, cheap, and most importantly they don't take up any space on your board. I love my Snark, I've gigged with it for a year and it's been absolutely perfect.

Also I had tremendous good luck with the Lava ELC kit. Not a single problem of any kind for me, and i get the exact lengths that I want. If you change pedals around and need a new length, take the jacks off the cable and cut a new one.

9. turtleheadblues

turtleheadblues Senior Member

Thanks for the kind words!

10. JRBain

JRBain Member

The Korg DT-10 is a great tuner, and I purchased mine used very cheap. The only real drawback with it is the large size.

11. Msboy2011

Msboy2011 Member

Thanks for the tuner tips guys.

Any tips on DIY route for cables? I was thinking Mogami cable and switchcraft jacks from www.redco.com...