Time to play … "replace my Klone"

joeleric26

Silver Supporting Member
My signal chain is BAE Hot Fuzz ->Greer Lightspeed->Wampler Tumnus (Klone)

I only use the Tumnus as a lead boost. I like it, a lot, but I wonder sometimes what I could swap it out with for a change of pace. Something with a little more character maybe.

Let's go TGP brain trust, fill in the blank …

BAE Hot Fuzz -> Lightspeed -> (insert new TGP suggested lead boost pedal here)

Oh … and for reference the BAE has two sides, the fuzz side and a trebleboost side so I've got that as one change of pace.

I've considered the Greer Southland and the 1981 Inventions so far.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand … go.

How about something like a wampler ego? A comp with blend and tone controls can be pretty handy in this spot for this application.

Bill Lumberg

I Drink and I Know Things.
Silver Supporting Member
Crowther Hot Cake
Analogman King of Tone
Magnetic Effects Lonely Robot
Ceriatone Horsebreaker

If you're looking to mix it up and try something different than the usual Klones and Screamers, I absolutely LOVE the style of dirt pedals that can do the raggedy saggy exploding-small-American-amp thing (think cranked Supro or Tweed kind of sounds). Some recommendations are:

- Supro 1305
- Walrus 385
- Mojo Hand Superlative
- JHS Superbolt
- Fairfield Barbershop
- Benson Preamp

lefort_1

Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt
Platinum Supporting Member
Check out the White Spiral. Or if you haven’t tried a Timmy yet get one.
When I read "a little more character", I thought of the Yellow.
ycmv

.... actually, I wonder what the OP means by 'character'.... is this a veiled 'pushing edge of breakup' character? or is it a 'morph my DDRI into a Marshall' -character? or maybe a 'make me Jerry freaking Garcia/auto-wah-god' -character?

I mean, if you want a boost, but a boost-with-character... that's a broad pasture to graze in.

Conspiring Minds Want To Know.

GeorgeNada

When I read "a little more character", I thought of the Yellow.
ycmv

.... actually, I wonder what the OP means by 'character'.... is this a veiled 'pushing edge of breakup' character? or is it a 'morph my DDRI into a Marshall' -character? or maybe a 'make me Jerry freaking Garcia/auto-wah-god' -character?

I mean, if you want a boost, but a boost-with-character... that's a broad pasture to graze in.

Conspiring Minds Want To Know.
yeah I thought of the Yellow too, it’s a really really fantastic boost (as well as other things) but I find myself using the White in the same way a lot of people use a Klon/klone so I went with that as the recommendation. Between alpha/omega toggle and the girth control you can really add some character or get very transparent depending on the settings

lefort_1

Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt
Platinum Supporting Member
yeah I thought of the Yellow too, it’s a really really fantastic boost (as well as other things) but I find myself using the White in the same way a lot of people use a Klon/klone so I went with that as the recommendation. Between alpha/omega toggle and the girth control you can really add some character or get very transparent depending on the settings
I'm gonna have to save some coin and pick up a White, after all.
I'm not that much of a pure-boost person... I usually want anything I add to really stand out... but the White does have a lot more to offer on the top end of it's knobbers... maybe I'll special-order one with glowing-purkle rocket-knobs.

For 'character', one could do :

Black > Brute > White > Yellow > Blind Doc Jones (spec Cauldron, iirc) > Demhe

If you want drive/disto/fuzz, you can find it in that chain.
... or a black hole, not sure which comes first...

Last edited:

Trending Topics