Time to play … "replace my Klone"

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by joeleric26, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Daytona57

Daytona57 Member

Way Huge Saucy Box to run before the Tumnus, retaining it as a lead boost or end of overdrives boost.

YMMV

joeleric26 likes this.
  2. Jim Marciano

Jim Marciano Supporting Member

I'm kind of looking at the Keeley oxblood, I think it covers klon into ts into almost fuzz

3. Atrain_dlp

Atrain_dlp Member

Lovepedal Kalamazoo. It’s great.

joeleric26 likes this.
  4. Scheckenbacker

Scheckenbacker Member

Is that what the Benson is supposed to be? I've been pretty underwhelmed by it so far, but maybe I'm misunderstanding it. It is ragged, but I'm not sure I like it. It's not like a lot of the demo videos. How do you use your Benson?

5. monkeybike

monkeybike Member

6. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

7. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

The Tumnus is amazing if you like the frequency range it hits. Maybe its just not your thing. Maybe try using it on its own? I find it works best using it just to drive your amp, I didn't like it stacked with many pedals. The amp will always be more dynamic than the pedal, so the pedal can just enhance it more and that to me is where the Tumnus shines a lot.

8. Buzzard Luck

Buzzard Luck Member

Around here? Replace a Klone? Sure, rat, Tube Screamer, and Timmy. Oh , and show Boss some love.

9. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

buy everything.
    don’t forget to buy an amp, and to use your character.

GeorgeNada, ellsworthman and sanhozay like this.
  10. Jaguar

Jaguar Member

11. Kevsonic

Kevsonic Supporting Member

Lovepedal Elephant Man is a crazy-good boost.

joeleric26 likes this.
  12. Jess 1971

Jess 1971 Supporting Member

Another cool flavor of Klone-ish-ness.

I'd also suggest a POT, as when it is engaged as a boost, it can do some of the cool things a Klon can do but a bit differently. Great pedal though.

Jaguar likes this.
  13. Jaguar

Jaguar Member

DOD Looking glass.... Keep posting that one again and again... such a great pedal!

joeleric26, bluegrif and Kevsonic like this.
  14. eddie knuckles

eddie knuckles Member

Soul Food Meat plus 3
    Spaceman Saturn V
    Monsterpiece Stud - can get very angry if you need it to (in the best of ways)
    MXR 10-band EQ
    Diamond compressor

All of these have knocked my Klon off my board for that "Klon thing". Now I use a Barber Gain Changer and very happy.

joeleric26 and Daytona57 like this.
  15. Daniel Krawchuk

Daniel Krawchuk Member

16. LeftyGtrPlr

LeftyGtrPlr Member

Tumnus Deluxe. You have better tone controls (separate bass, mid & treble) and a switch to choose between normal and hot.

17. hooligangorilla

hooligangorilla Member

I've listened to demos of actual Benson Chimera amps and I think that's the best reference point for what the pedal is supposed to sound like. I mainly use mine as always-on just-breaking-up in front of a pretty clean amp, so I can get nice Benson amp breakup tones at all volumes including home practice. Then I hit it with other pedals in front to get more gain... one of which is a Klone with 3-band EQ much like a Tumnus Deluxe. It's ragged, like I love, and it replaced a Superbolt on my board... the Benson is just more full-range, holds together better at max gain settings (there's less of the "exploding amp" stuttery chaos), and has the independent treble and bass knobs which are nice for getting a wider variety of sounds or dialing in with different amps. I do like to turn it up for different sounds when playing at home too.

FWIW I play into American-style amps (a Fender and a Supro), which might be part of the equation... I think those kinds of amps might be what it works best with? Now that you've got me thinking about it, I might try it into the AC30 emulated amp in my Helix, just to see.

Tabor likes this.
  18. joeleric26

joeleric26 Supporting Member

Wow ... I didn’t log on for a few days and returned to a ton of responses.

A couple of questions answered ...

My amp is an AC15

By character I meant something distinctive. I like the Tumnus, but it’s a Klon Klone doing its Klon Klone thing. I want a change of pace that might stand out a bit more. I’m not ditching the Tumnus, I just want something to use for solos in its place coming form a completely different direction occasionally.

Lots of info to sort through. Thanks guys!

eddie knuckles likes this.
  19. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

I have a KTR that is hard to replace. But if I did, it might be some fancy preamp like a Supa Boost (doesn't Kingsley make something similar too?) or a classic like a Colosound Power Booster. No way to flat out improve on a KTR other than rearranging deck chairs. But those two I see as alternatives.

20. eddie knuckles

eddie knuckles Member

Lovepedal white eternity ROCKS and sings your solo voice with ease through my AC15. The Vox amp is more open sounding to my ear, and this pedal should be issued standard. It will not disappoint.