Time to play … "replace my Klone"

If you're looking to mix it up and try something different than the usual Klones and Screamers, I absolutely LOVE the style of dirt pedals that can do the raggedy saggy exploding-small-American-amp thing (think cranked Supro or Tweed kind of sounds). Some recommendations are:

- Supro 1305
- Walrus 385
- Mojo Hand Superlative
- JHS Superbolt
- Fairfield Barbershop
- Benson Preamp
Is that what the Benson is supposed to be? I've been pretty underwhelmed by it so far, but maybe I'm misunderstanding it. It is ragged, but I'm not sure I like it. It's not like a lot of the demo videos. How do you use your Benson?

Jabby92

The Tumnus is amazing if you like the frequency range it hits. Maybe its just not your thing. Maybe try using it on its own? I find it works best using it just to drive your amp, I didn't like it stacked with many pedals. The amp will always be more dynamic than the pedal, so the pedal can just enhance it more and that to me is where the Tumnus shines a lot.

Jess 1971

Silver Supporting Member
Keeley Oxblood !?
Another cool flavor of Klone-ish-ness.

I'd also suggest a POT, as when it is engaged as a boost, it can do some of the cool things a Klon can do but a bit differently. Great pedal though.

Soul Food Meat plus 3
Spaceman Saturn V
Monsterpiece Stud - can get very angry if you need it to (in the best of ways)
MXR 10-band EQ
Diamond compressor

All of these have knocked my Klon off my board for that "Klon thing". Now I use a Barber Gain Changer and very happy.

LeftyGtrPlr

Tumnus Deluxe. You have better tone controls (separate bass, mid & treble) and a switch to choose between normal and hot.

Is that what the Benson is supposed to be? I've been pretty underwhelmed by it so far, but maybe I'm misunderstanding it. It is ragged, but I'm not sure I like it. It's not like a lot of the demo videos. How do you use your Benson?
I've listened to demos of actual Benson Chimera amps and I think that's the best reference point for what the pedal is supposed to sound like. I mainly use mine as always-on just-breaking-up in front of a pretty clean amp, so I can get nice Benson amp breakup tones at all volumes including home practice. Then I hit it with other pedals in front to get more gain... one of which is a Klone with 3-band EQ much like a Tumnus Deluxe. It's ragged, like I love, and it replaced a Superbolt on my board... the Benson is just more full-range, holds together better at max gain settings (there's less of the "exploding amp" stuttery chaos), and has the independent treble and bass knobs which are nice for getting a wider variety of sounds or dialing in with different amps. I do like to turn it up for different sounds when playing at home too.

FWIW I play into American-style amps (a Fender and a Supro), which might be part of the equation... I think those kinds of amps might be what it works best with? Now that you've got me thinking about it, I might try it into the AC30 emulated amp in my Helix, just to see.

joeleric26

Silver Supporting Member
Wow ... I didn’t log on for a few days and returned to a ton of responses.

A couple of questions answered ...

My amp is an AC15

By character I meant something distinctive. I like the Tumnus, but it’s a Klon Klone doing its Klon Klone thing. I want a change of pace that might stand out a bit more. I’m not ditching the Tumnus, I just want something to use for solos in its place coming form a completely different direction occasionally.

Lots of info to sort through. Thanks guys!

I have a KTR that is hard to replace. But if I did, it might be some fancy preamp like a Supa Boost (doesn't Kingsley make something similar too?) or a classic like a Colosound Power Booster. No way to flat out improve on a KTR other than rearranging deck chairs. But those two I see as alternatives.

Wow ... I didn’t log on for a few days and returned to a ton of responses.

A couple of questions answered ...

My amp is an AC15

By character I meant something distinctive. I like the Tumnus, but it’s a Klon Klone doing its Klon Klone thing. I want a change of pace that might stand out a bit more. I’m not ditching the Tumnus, I just want something to use for solos in its place coming form a completely different direction occasionally.

Lots of info to sort through. Thanks guys!
Lovepedal white eternity ROCKS and sings your solo voice with ease through my AC15. The Vox amp is more open sounding to my ear, and this pedal should be issued standard. It will not disappoint.

Trending Topics