Time to Refret My Strat?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by angus99, Oct 20, 2008.

1. angus99

angus99 Member

I'm the second owner of a '96 Strat Plus with a maple board. Most of the medium jumbo frets are getting pretty flat on top and I was wondering if there's an accepted range for fret height before they need replacing. I think there are other issues with this guitar as well. For instance, I'm getting some rattling on several strings when I play above the second or third fret. When I try for a full bend on the first string at the 7th fret, the tone is totally buzzed out well before I reach the pitch I'm trying to hit. So, I'm guessing I need a truss rod adjustment and maybe a full set up as well.

Any thoughts?

thanks

angus

2. shane88

shane88 Member

get a luthier to look @ it

3. larry1096

larry1096 Member

Whether there is enough fret meat left for a refret is, in part, a judgment call. I don't bother if they're below .040 or so, simply because they'll be too short for me when I get them level.

OTOH, there are plenty of people who LIKE low frets, and they can certainly get a dressing or two more than I can out of a set.

Larry

4. angus99

angus99 Member

Thanks. Mine are varying apparently between .043 and .036 and the luthier I took it to says he thinks I can get by with a dressing as opposed to a total refret. But he wasn't trying to sell me either way.

I have an '82 ES 335 that has virtually perfect frets that seem a bit lower than the Strat -- but that I really like the feel of. I suppose I should just measure those to see if I'd like the Strat that height (assuming neck radius or some other variable doesn't change things).

angus

5. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

Start with setting up the guitar - neck adjustment, action, etc. If that doesn't solve your problem, go for the fret dress (level, crown & polish).

Most likely the fretwork will carry you for a couple years, then you can get it refretted.

--chiba