Time to replace my Toneczar Halophase...what to replace it with??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Seegs, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Seegs

Seegs Member

I have been toying with this idea and I think the time has come to replace what has become my do-it-all phaser-vibe-pseudo Leslie tones all in one box...I only ever really used the faster pseudo leslie tones which were a phase.vibe combo and sounded really luscious...

I am looking for some pretty convincing leslie tones but also like the dripping wet phasy vibe tones as well...not interested in dropping 4 bills on a Ventillator...one final thought...I hate tone suck when off or on:D

I had a Sweetsound Ultra Vibe II that I loved but went for the versatility of the Halophase now I am thinking I should have gone for the UVII

What else is out there that might fit the bill...

Chow,
    Seegs

2. Occam

Occam Member

Hold onto the Halo...I get the impression you may want to go back to it.

3. Seegs

Seegs Member

You could be right but I just want to see what's out there...

Listened to some Zvex vexter lo-fi junky clips that sounded pretty cool...

Also a Bigfoot fx magnavibe...

Chow,
    Seegs

4. duende

duende Member

I have the original ultravibe. It served me well for many years. But a few years back it got sick and even after many vallient attempts to fix it it by some really skilled fx doctors.. It still isn't the same as it once was. :(.

So I got the Magnavibe. That's been a good substitute for my needs. Has a light bulb inside it too. So there's some real honest circuitry going on inside.

The only other vibe that has me gassing is the Castledine Supa Vibe. But that's a bit pricey with the exchange rates.

5. cajone5

cajone5 Some guy Silver Supporting Member

But TOTALLY worth it :love: :bow

6. Seegs

Seegs Member

Ok off to check the Castledine...no exchange rate issues here:stir

Chow,
    Seegs

7. teleclem

teleclem Member

What don't you like about it? I just realized someone was selling one locally.

8. cajone5

cajone5 Some guy Silver Supporting Member

It's a dead on clone of an early Uni-Vibe including the cancel feature but you can still completely bypass it with the second footswitch.

It's one of those end of the road pedals where you search for the best uni-vibe out there for ages and wind up with the Castledine Supra-Vibe :aok

9. 8strings0hair

8strings0hair Member

I second that.

That's like having an Echoczar and saying you'd like to replace it with a Carbon Copy (I'm on the waiting list for the former, and love the latter, but still...you get my point).

I think we all go through phases (pun intended) where our go-to pedal doesn't inspire us as much as it used to. But like any relationship worth its mettle, you gotta stick through the rough patches.
    Dr Phil, out. :)

10. Mayo5

Mayo5 Supporting Member

Halo was what I wanted for a long time, but could never find one available.

IF you can find one, pick up a Shin-EI RT-18 "Resly Tone". It's essentially the same vibe circuit as the famous Univibe, but has a tremolo/phase built in. It sounds incredible and deep. If you were closer, I would let you try it out.

The cons with this though, is that it takes a while to get going. I have to keep mine in a seperate loop.

11. Seegs

Seegs Member

Thx Dr.:p Just for the record my interest in checking out other options to replace my Halo has nothing to do with losing inspiration...the pedal sounds fine...

To update...I have a potential deal on the table for a Sweetsound UVII which I also had in for a tryout at the same time as the Halo...

fwiw I preferred the Sweetsound as a pure vibe but chose the Halo because of it versatility...

The Bearfoot Fx MGMV is also a potential canidate and so is keeping the Halo...

Chow,
    Seegs

12. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

Sounds like you're selling the Halo just for the sake of it. I've tried pretty much every phaser that has come to market and the Halo is really at the top of the list. The Maxon PH350 and INFANEM Compact Faye Sing are also killer.

13. Seegs

Seegs Member

Not exactly...more interested in the vibe aspect than a pure phaser...

Chow,
    Seegs

14. whoismarykelly

Consider the Aquavibe as well then. Its my favorite of the ones I have tried. Liked it more than the sweetsounds and all the others.

15. Seegs

Seegs Member

I've heard good things about that one...

Chow,
    Seegs

16. whoismarykelly

Thats an intentional misspelling of "ciao" right?

17. Seegs

Seegs Member

:p

Chow,
    Seegs

18. zul

zul Supporting Member

I picked up a used Source Audio Tri-Mod Phaser for 40 bucks and it is pretty versatile. Lots of different flavors (11 phasers) to choose and three mod source (Hot hand, Env, or LFO mode) options too. Freq knob is the most important for me and can focus the various sounds for specific applications efficiently. I tend to warm up the lfo types for chewiness and to avoid harsh treble spikes but add in the treble for funky envelope follower response.

It's been two months and I still uncover different sounds. Haven't even tried the ring thingy yet but trust that it will reveal even more options. Was concerned that it did not have a vol or mix level but there is no noticable drop in volume in any of my applications.

I currently use a four stage phaser preset live that is in between a chewy phaser and a swirling vibe that I can adjust easily with an option knob on the depth pot. Very handy and easy to apply live. Setting is pretty versatile and I can guerilla it for any kind of phase or vibe duty. I can bend down and get exact sounds if I wanted to, but when I play with my cover/jam band I tend to have too much fun to bother. Fidelity is great for clean and dirt and all shades in between.

I've heard some leslie-like sounds while fiddling but never really explored, but do know that there is a lot of range in the speed knob. Most of my apps live in the lower region since it gets the vibrato/tremelo effect somewhat early in its rotation.

Sobering part is, its somewhat big,...and pink.

Not familiar with Halophase and apologize if the unit I am suggesting is considered pedestrian in comparison. I'm not allowed that luxury and honestly don't know. No sarcasm implied. Hope this helps and have fun looking. Cheers.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  19. Seegs

Seegs Member

Thanks Zul...no need to apologize...all ideas are welcome...

Chow,
    Seegs