Time to replace my wah pot?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DaBlizzardofOz, Apr 22, 2008.

1. DaBlizzardofOz

DaBlizzardofOz Member

I'm using a vox wah & a while ago I noticed that it was making scratchy sounds when I operated it. They stopped after a while, but now the sweep on my wah is practically nonexistent. It doesn't even start until the pedal is almost toe-down, & pretty much makes the pedal unusable. Would replacing the pot solve my problem? If so, anyone wanna recommend a good replacement?

2. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

Hotpotz were what Geoffrey Teese recomended to me..I do like them better than Fulltones and the 51 I tried. Cheap and easy to find.I may even have a spare.

3. DaBlizzardofOz

DaBlizzardofOz Member

I take it that's a yes, I need to replace it? If you do have a spare, let me know & maybe we can work something out

4. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

Make sure the treadle hasn't moved off adjustment from the pot gear. You can check your pot by removing this and working the pot by hand, crank it all the way back and forth...if it's got issues, you'll hear it, if not, set it back against the pot gear to get the widest sweep or what sounds good to you.

5. DaBlizzardofOz

DaBlizzardofOz Member

yeah im pretty sure it's the pot. I makes a strange noise & only partially wahs when i rotate it

6. mistercoffee1

mistercoffee1 Member

It's time.

Options:
    Fulltone - tough to find. However, you can find the DIYA Clyde pot on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/CLYDE-WAH-PEDAL...ryZ41422QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem), which functions the same, with the same taper (I've tried these myself alongside a real Fulltone). These pots like a long travel (meaning you be using either the medium rubber grommets on the heel and toe, or cut down the full size. Bassier in the transition from Heel to Toe, which feels like a bigger sweetspot and thus easier to control. I haven't tried the 100k pot from Smallbear, but it's supposed to have an ICAR taper like this one.
    HotpotzII - easier to find. Longer life.
    Quick taper/transition, however, seems to have more a dead spot at the heel than the Fulltone. Tougher to find that sweetspot. These pots like a shorter travel, such as when using the full sized rubber grommets on the heel and toe. When using the shorter grommets, that dead spot seems to be accentuated.

7. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

The new area 51 pots are wonderful. Much better than anything else I've tried and they are VERY quiet. This is the biggest problem I've had with most of the pots the boutique manufacturers are using. They have the right taper but are very prone to getting scratchy...

8. vintage66

vintage66 Member

I have a Fulltone pot in my Thomas Organ Crybaby and it's notchy feeling when you move the wah pedal. You can kind of feel the gears as they turn. I've tried adjusting the screw that pushes the treadle against the gear and it stops when I get it super loose but I can't remember what happens but it needs to be tight enough to keep it in good contact. Any ideas? Didn't make any noticable difference in tone as I thought it might-my old one was scratchy.

9. DaBlizzardofOz

DaBlizzardofOz Member

so is it worth it to get the fulltone pots even though they seem to not last as long as the hotpotz?

10. mistercoffee1

mistercoffee1 Member

I don't mind replacing pots, so I use a Fulltone for the sweep. They DIYA Clyde pots are cheap enough, so I could replace it when it goes. They will wear out faster than a Hotpotz II.
    If you want something that will last forever, the Hotpotz II should do that.

11. thewex

thewex Member

thanks for the info on the pots y'all. i just completed a bunch of mods to my VOX (change the Q, sweep, mid, all that jazz). got a really interesting sound now, im digging it. now i just need to one of those DIYA Clyde pots and this thing will be smokin!