Time to start making decisions on my Anderson...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by wundergussy, Feb 9, 2012.

1. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

Got the e-mail from Jack that he will start building my amp in three weeks. I know I want a 20 watter, I know I want a 1x12 combo, and he will work with me to determine the best speaker. But, I need to decide on things like control panel (front or top), dimension (regular size or mini), tolex and grillcloth, three-band tonestack or one tone knob, and whether I want to spring (ha!) for reverb.

Any suggestions? Other Anderson users out there who have one they love? Wish they did differently?

2. gulliver

gulliver Member

Hmmm ... I thought the whole idea behind getting something custom built is to get exactly what you want. If you know what you want, maybe you should consider a production amp for less money.

3. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

Well, it will only be a grand, so it's less than any hand-wired production amp I know of built in the US.

4. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

Front controls, largest cab size you can afford, black tolex, three band eq, and no reverb.

You're welcome. My bill is in the mail.

5. cribcage

cribcage Member

I would opt for controls on the front, because I tend to set things down (e.g., pedals) on top of my amp. I've been considering an Atlas stand for home use and would probably lean toward adding the table option they've built on a few recently.

Single tone knob versus three-band depends in part how closely you'll get to work with the builder, and how many guitars you'll use with it. Do you need a range? If it were me, I play only one guitar (mostly) and I'd want to let the builder know that. If he could tune the amp with that fact in mind, then I'd rather have just the single tone pot. On the other hand, if I planned to cycle through Fenders and Gibsons and what not, I might want more range available. Another consideration is whether this will be your only amp, or if it's just one flavor in a cupboard filled with others. If the latter, again, I'd lean toward a single pot.

There are a handful of amps that I really like, that have reverb (or tremolo) built in. But as a general principle, I'd prefer my amp to be an amp and I'll get my effects elsewhere. If I were building from scratch, I'd skip the reverb.

6. Animalboy71

Animalboy71 Member

Hi Wundergussy:

You must be the guy ahead of me in line for an Anderson Amp. I literally just sent an e-mail to him detailing how I want my head & cab to look, tolex, grill cloth, piping, knobs, corners etc... I'm getting a Vertical 2x12 cab with an 18/20/45 head on top. I'm going for the full EQ + verb on mine.

I like amps that just have a tone knob but I use several different guitars (Tele's & Paul's) so I want more tonal control. As for reverb, I prefer a nice spring reverb built in the amp.

It took me a long time and probably a dozen e-mails just to work out the look of the amp but I'm kinda picky. I spent hours just looking at his pictures page to see what I could get done to my amp. That would be a good place to start.

Do you know what color of Tolex you want yet?

Cheers!!

7. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

I went for a 20watt 6v6 head and a 1x12 cab. Dark cream tolex, white piping, silver corners, brown handles, and dark brown grillcloth.

On-board reverb and trem, 3-band eq, single-channel. Since I'm close enough to pick it up, we will go through a bunch of speakers together.

8. Animalboy71

Animalboy71 Member

Here are some pics of my almost finished Anderson 20/45. I should have it in about a week!!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  9. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

Having had mine for almost a month, I gotta say: BEST AMP I've ever played.

[​IMG]

10. Scooter Burbank

Scooter Burbank Member

Congratulations on your amp!

So, what's it like? From what branch of the amplifier tree does Mr. Anderson whittle his stick?

11. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

He really doesn't base them on a particular amp. You choose wattage and tube-style, and then he tunes them to your liking. We talked about basing the cleans on the Chris Issak tone, but letting the gain get into decent mid-level territory. He put a three-band eq plus presence and I can really dial in a lot. I spent over two hours with him just testing out speakers to get the right tone for the amp. According to him, each amp is very different and he really works with the customer to deliver the tones they want. He specifically doesn't advertise anything as "Marshall" or "Fender" - flavored.

12. Animalboy71

Animalboy71 Member

That's a nice looking amp! I actually sent him some songs that have the tones I'm after as well as ALOT of descriptive words about how I want mine to sound.

Jack let me choose everything for my amp right down to the blue chicken head knobs! Great, great guy to deal with.

13. Animalboy71

Animalboy71 Member

My amp is done!! Just gotta wait for it to ship now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. mwhy

mwhy Supporting Member

Very cool amps! I have Jack's 20W (6V6) combo plus a 1x12 extension cab, and yes, I dig the rig!

Animalboy -- I'm curious what you think of the 20/45 model ...

[​IMG]

I just spoke with him the other day, planning for my next amp -- probably the 20/45. I was thrilled that his wait list is no longer outrageous -- it used to be two years, but now it's only a month or two! These amps are half the price of other boutiques, and you can't beat the quality. And yes, Jack's extremely knowledgeable about styles, sounds, etc., and also the nicest guy around.

Marc

15. Atlas Stands

Atlas Stands Member

they are amazing! very nice!

16. eaglewolf

eaglewolf Member

These Anderson Amps intrigue me. From what I'm reading in this thread, the builder will customize the amp to the tone you are looking for? I checked out his website, and most of the amps seemed to be on the lower gain side. Is that a fair assessment, or just the specific sound clips and artists I listened to?

I'm considering another amp down the road and stumbled across this thread. Since several of you seem to have these amps I thought I would ask about them.

David

17. mwhy

mwhy Supporting Member

Hi David,
    Jack can do a two-channel amp with clean and overdrive -- very nice. I'd recommend just calling him up and talking; he'll let you know what would work.

18. eaglewolf

eaglewolf Member

I've already sent him an e-mail, and he replied within an hour or so. While he couldn't accommodate my specific request, I'm still interested in what he has to offer.

David

19. Animalboy71

Animalboy71 Member

I won't know for a couple weeks, He just finished everything. It still has to ship but I will defineatly post what I think of it.

Here's the whole thing completed.
    [​IMG]

20. samuelson

samuelson Member

I have the 20/45 with reverb and two channel and it's a great, great amp. I use it with the band. I had a weber blue dog and silver dog in the cab and sounds just fantastic with that combo of speakers. Jack builds a quality product