Time traveler= universally acclaimed all time mega guitar hero guru?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by timogeo, Feb 12, 2015.

1. timogeo

timogeo Member

Ok, so here is the pitch, imagine one could travel in time with the accumulated six string knowledge amassed by a typical guitar nerd.... would this person, in a similar manner to Marty in the seminal Back to the Future movie, stick around in that era and become a universally acclaimed all time mega guitar hero guru?

Imagine that it is 1958 (not sure what year it was in the movie) you arrive with a note for note repertoire of Hendrix, Clapton, Van Halen, Gary Moore etc….as well as knowledge of techniques not yet discovered, tapping, sweeps, use of effects, Hendrix chords…Distortion etc..

How would you feel ethically? i.e. nicking hit tunes not yet composed by for example James Brown or Guns n Roses or Sting?!

Would you even make it? i.e. is success, apart from talent, just a collection of random events, circumstance and luck?

I love that scene from Back to the Future when he blows them away….the sequel should have been about Marty guitar god life after he failed to get back to 1985…!

This is just one of those random thoughts kicking around my brain today….maybe I should cut down on my cheese consumption
    :JAM

2. JWDubois

JWDubois Member

I was thinking something similar reading a thread about Vai, Satriani, Eric Johnson and their relative obscurity. If they had shown up 30 years earlier, they would have the same status as Hendrix and Clapton.

3. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

Flawed premise. I don't think Technical superiority was the factor that made those guys guitar heroes. It's not like there weren't much better players than Eric Clapton, Hendrix, etc, back then. I would definitely rip off some songs, but even then, I would say large factor in success/fame is timing and luck, not just the nuts and bolts of the actual product.
    -
    Austin

4. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

I would quench the fires of guilt by buying up every '58/'59 LP I could get my hands on.

...and sell them in 2007.

5. 100JH

100JH Member

I would become a Producer...and also but stocks.

6. wyatt

wyatt Member

I think most of these artist were in the right place at the right time for public consumption.

I expect trying to force any of these sounds, licks, innovations, etc. ahead of their time would probably backfire and make them undesirable...kinda like Marty McFly's VH-inspired solo in Back to the Future.

7. photoguy

photoguy Member

8. Sheherezadeh

Sheherezadeh Member

The other important thing to remember is that the techniques that proliferated in the guitar world were much more a result of popularizers of them than inventors. EVH didn't invent tapping, he was just the most visible and influential player to do it, and it spread like wildfire. In addition to knowing the right people in the right places in the right times, you have to be the right person. A multitude of session players with chops has abounded while less skilled practitioners grace the covers of guitar periodicals. Players who pursue technical excellence in their craft and those with endearing charisma are often not the same people.

9. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

This is my thought, as well.

10. JackJordan

JackJordan Member

How do you think the pro's got to where they are today?... by ripping off others tunes via time travel.... duh! :stir

11. Roark

Roark Member

All I can say is, "Your safety is NOT guaranteed".