Timefactor Delay Troubles

PianoMan

Silver Supporting Member
I posted earlier regarding my efforts to find a delay that would do a quarter note and dotted eighth note dual delay off of one tap tempo. I had trouble with the TC Electronic Nova Delay, and with many recommendations, I just picked up a Timefactor. I'm having the exact same trouble with the timefactor though, so I figured I would post some soundclips to see if anyone can figure out how to get me from point A to point B. The first clip is the Timefactor doing the weird pattern, and the second is the pattern I'm aiming to get. You can stream them at www.purevolume.com/drewburson

Thanks!

edit: I'm looking for a way to get that pattern in mono.

Last edited:

BTBAM

what are you using in the second clip?

Set up A being 1/4, other being dotted eighth, and make sure they are in the desired blend. it may sound weird because one is louder than the other (a 7/3 mix, or 8/2, or 6/4)

PianoMan

Silver Supporting Member
what are you using in the second clip?

Set up A being 1/4, other being dotted eighth, and make sure they are in the desired blend. it may sound weird because one is louder than the other (a 7/3 mix, or 8/2, or 6/4)

The second clip I used my DD-20 and the delay on the POD as I have for a while now. What I want to do is consolidate the delays into one unit so I only need to tap in the tempo once.

And that is exactly how I set up the delays on the eventide. I'm assuming I'm getting the weird pattern because my output is mono, but I have no idea how to change it.

The delay volumes are weird because I didn't take much time to mix them. I just wanted to get the point across.

frizbplaya

The second clip I used my DD-20 and the delay on the POD as I have for a while now. What I want to do is consolidate the delays into one unit so I only need to tap in the tempo once.

That's the difference. The second clip you're using two delays in a row. The TF does two delays independantly. So in the second clip your DD20 delays but each repeat is also delayed by the POD as well. With the TF or nova the delays are independant of each other. Does that make sense?

The sound you're trying to get is 1 +a2 +a3 +a4 (that's breaking down 16th notes to 1e+a2e+a if you're not familair with writing beats that way). I can't think of a way to do that in the TF or nova. I've seen people use two DD5s (or DD7s) with one tap control - you just wire a non-latching switch to two outputs. If you set the first to dotted eights and the second to quarters you'd get what you want.

PianoMan

Silver Supporting Member
Got it, and it makes perfect sense - thanks. Unfortunately that means I may just have to trade in the Timefactor for multiple delays then. I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that because of all the extra hassle in transportation and setup, but if it's what I have to do...

starfish

Got it, and it makes perfect sense - thanks. Unfortunately that means I may just have to trade in the Timefactor for multiple delays then. I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that because of all the extra hassle in transportation and setup, but if it's what I have to do...

Why not daisy chain output 1 into input 2? Then you get two delays in series. Try it. :)

PianoMan

Silver Supporting Member
Ha, and the simple solution wins out - I even had an extra patch cable of the perfect size lying around. I wish you had come around to suggest that on my last thread - it would have saved me the trouble of trading the Nova in for the Timefactor. I'll probably switch back now, as I really have no need of all the extra features in the Timefactor, and I would rather keep the extra $150. Thanks!

starfish

Ha, and the simple solution wins out - I even had an extra patch cable of the perfect size lying around. I wish you had come around to suggest that on my last thread - it would have saved me the trouble of trading the Nova in for the Timefactor. I'll probably switch back now, as I really have no need of all the extra features in the Timefactor, and I would rather keep the extra $150. Thanks!

Cool, glad I can help! I can't speak for the Nova but the TF will allow you to have different beat subdivisions for each delay line - i.e. 1/4 on the right channel and 1/8* on the left. You should probably verify that the Nova (or any single delay unit you may go to instead) can do the same. Some may only allow a global setting.

Isaiah4Autumn

Cool, glad I can help! I can't speak for the Nova but the TF will allow you to have different beat subdivisions for each delay line - i.e. 1/4 on the right channel and 1/8* on the left. You should probably verify that the Nova (or any single delay unit you may go to instead) can do the same. Some may only allow a global setting.

nova does do sub division...

you dont even need to have both delays on the timefactor to achieve the dotted 1/8...just make sure one of your delays is set to dotted 1/8 and the other is turned off or make sure delay a is set to 1/4 and delay b is set to dotted 1/8. (note make sure you are in tempo mode)

Btw you can easily achieve this with the dd-20 by pressing the tempo button until you see the dotted 1/8 note setting..turn up the mix and with doing the played make sure you palm mute...you will hear a more pronouced rythmic setting. If you attack the strings normally the notes tend to bleed in to eachother...if you using the seperate footswitch make sure you have the polarity switch the correct way...if your tapping and the switch is reverse polarity it will make your tap be on the up stroke instead of the down stroke...

Here's the best way to explain it with a simple diagram so I hope it helps everyone who is struggling with achieving the dotted 1/8 note trick......

Tap: 1 2 3 4 (1/4 notes)
Play: 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 (1/8 notes)
Hear: 1 &a2e&a3e&a4e (your hearing the 1/16 note)

it might take some time to get used to the rythmic pattern but keep it up. Do not listen to the delays but try to focus on playing the 1 & (down stroke and up stroke of the beat) if you have the any of the above mentioned delays you can bypass the effect, tap in the time, play the 1 & with the tap, then engage the effect...this is a usefal trick so you can get used to hearing what it sounds like...

I love delay so if you have any more questions let me know... BTW I SOLD MY DD-20 FOR MY TIMEFACTOR

Isaiah4Autumn

FWIW, I assumed it did, but the question I posed is - can you control the subdivision independently for each channel? This might affect the O/P's decision on what unit to keep.

no...he's better off with the timefactor if that's his main concern...the nova delay acts just like the dd-20. Tempo button on the dd-20 is just like the subdivision button on the nova...you might get cooler combinations but you can control which delay you want where...mono or stereo

PianoMan

Silver Supporting Member
Well, I ended up trading in the Timefactor for the Nova. The patch cord trick worked perfectly on it, and I am loving the sounds I'm getting! It only took me about 5 minutes to dial in exactly the delay sound I was looking for, and I'm looking forward to trying it out at band practice tonight.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom