Timefactor/Modfactor combo, or Eclipse?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by datguytim, Mar 12, 2008.

1. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

I'm going to go Eventide within a month or 2. I tried out the Time & Mod stompers at NAMM - loved 'em. Questions:

1.) Can the Eclipse get the same sounds & more? Rotary, trem, phase, flange, delays, etc.? Is the difference significant?

2.) I like the idea of stepping on ONE footswitch & changing 2 or more FX sounds at once. Can you configure the stompers to do this? I know the Eclipse can do it. . .with a MIDI Footcontroller.

3). I've been a pedal guy most of my life/career. I dig "vintage-ey" tones, as well as hi-bandwidth, spaced-out sounds. Can the Eclipse get 'lo-fi' ish tones? BTW - I'll be running any one of these units through my amp's stellar FX Loop (Demeter TGA-2 Inverter).

Any advice and/or tips would be most appreciated! Thanks! :)

2. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

Also: is the amount time I'll have to spend learning to program the Eclipse worth getting it vs. the Stompboxes?

3. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

I'd recommend you ask this question over at www.hugeracksinc.com. Lot's of Eclipse users over there...

4. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

You can configure the Eventide stompboxes to control each other, or other MIDI devices - so, for example, changing patches on the Timefactor also changes patches on the Modfactor, as well as any other MIDI device you may have in your rig. Both pedals actually have very full-featured MIDI implementations, so you can do just about anything imaginable with program changes, continuous controllers, etc.

I am a recent convert to 100% stompboxes after years of using rack gear. I just got tired of digging through menu trees to adjust the parameter I wanted, and it's great just to be able to reach down and turn a knob instead. I love the Timefactor because it combines the best of both worlds - the MIDI control and sound quality of rack gear with the ease of a stompbox.

That said, the Eclipse is a far more powerful unit, and in addition to delay and mod effects, will give you pitch shifting and reverb effects that the Timefactor and Modfactor do not have.

5. KRosser

KRosser Member

Contemplated this myself, after ordering & receiving the Modfactor & Timefactor...I returned them for an Eclipse, which I just received yesterday. I won't get time to get into it until tomorrow, but one thing that impressed me about the Eclipse when I saw it at NAMM a few years ago was how user-friendly the interface seemed

I'm looking forward to getting into it....

6. Jazzgear

Jazzgear Supporting Member

Well, I am in the same quagmire (a word?) -- as I have previously owned and sold an Eclipse and got the TF & MF set. I loved the Eclipse, but programming it was a biatch...though once you spend time with it -- it is not that bad.

I really like the new pedals...but I am wanting for a bit more controll of things like I had in the Eclipse, that I am considering returning at least the MF and getting the Eclipse. I am keeping the TF no matter what because I don't remember the Eclipse sounding this good as far as right out of the box without too much tweaking. Don'[t get me wrong the Eclipse is much more powerful and as capable. But the TF is a better grab and go effects unit (for like a small pedal board).

Here's the problem, however, in going back to the Eclipse.

1. Midi Board
    2. Lag between presets (not too good for live use), it is instant with the stomp boxes.
    3. Programming it (I found myself spending more time doing this than actually playing -- the reason why I sold it).

In the end, I think I am going to hold out on going back to the Eclipse, and just wait on the Axe-FX....oh the G.A.S. epidemic:jo

7. riker4208

riker4208 Member

You know Jazzgear they just released a software update for the eclipse that supposedly speeds program changes. My buddy has an axe-fx and the eclipse and I still like the eclipse better personally. The presets in the eclipse are great. Also, I spent time with his eclipse, and with the manual didn't really have trouble programing it.