Timefactor OR Nova OR Deluxe Memory Man OR DD-20 OR something else?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rotren, Jan 13, 2008.

1. rotren

rotren Member

Camrose, Alberta, Canada, but originally from Umea
    Trying to decide what delay pedal with tap tempo to get. I use a Lexicon LXP-1 in my amp fx loop, and instead of using a delay through the FX loop, I think it would be most convenient for me to just run it in front of the amp.

A flexible, good sounding unit with some interesting options and features is what I am looking for. If it's good, I don't mind paying a bit for it.

So, with that in mind, I've been eying the Nova, Timefactor, Stereo Memory Man w/ Hazarai, DD-20. Which would you pick and why? Any other suggestions - fire away.

2. bluntage

bluntage Member

The DMM doesn't have tap tempo... just modulated, analog goodness! The newer Stereo Memory Man w/ Hazarai has tap tempo though.

3. rotren

rotren Member

Ooops - I changed the description.

4. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

I'm enjoying my TF. It may be a little pricey for a tap tempo option.

5. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I would probably pick DD-20 or the Time Factor for most versatility and features.

For a true analog option with tap, go with a Memory Lane.

6. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

DD20 sounds great, extremely versatile and can be had for pretty cheap used- very user friendly compared to the SMMH which I found to be quite cumbersome. Along w/ my DMM it's the perfect setup for me. No experience w/ the other two...

7. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

dd20 does my leslie thang. check our tunes in a month. . .used live quite a bit.

also kicked a dm3 off my board. couldn't tell the diff in a blind test when i chose my favorite dm3 setting.

180 new to the door. you can find that price if you're patient.

Love that pedal. I'm actually thinking about selling my dd3 "big chip" now, as it's been off the board and out of use ever since. . . if it wasn't the first pedal i'd ever bought, it'd probably be long gone. . .

8. iualum

iualum Member

...one of each, naturaly, lol (plus others as well)...

...if I could only have one, I'd be forced to go DD-20...dollar for dollar the Boss is, well, just that...

9. radcliff

radcliff Member

I've had everything you've listed and I've stuck with the Nova, it's really the best for me.

Best combo of size, TONE, features, presets, powering, and price.

10. lxm

lxm Member

ive had the dd-20 - sold it

bought a nova delay - sold it

bought a timefactor - i think im going to sell it

bought another dd-20 today - call me crazy.... to me it sounds the best :NUTS i have realized that style plays a HUGE part in what delay fits you.

one big thing i learned is that i HATE delays with mix knobs. i like the level knob:NUTSX2

11. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

As above...although, i'm going back to the Replica until my TES is ready. Good enough for Gilmour...

12. Tweeker

Tweeker Supporting Member

I've been looking to replace my DL-4 and have been waiting on this unit.:
    http://www.empresseffects.com/superdelay.php
    I believe it will be very very good with interesting and unique options.
    It isn't vapor, it will be released soon. These guys don't deal in hype. They work out the product first before getting us to foam at the mouth.

13. JeffreyC

JeffreyC Member

Wow, that looks interesting. I'm going to have to check out the clips with a good pair of headphones when I get home.....

I'm fine with my DD20 for now - I think the tape mode is pretty good - for the most part that's what I use.

14. rotren

rotren Member

Hmm, it seems I should take a closer look at the DD-20.

I saw video demo of the Timefactor on guitarplayertv.com - quite impressive unit.

15. drod2045

drod2045 Member

Im thinking about going the RE20 Space echo route in favor of the DD20...my 2 cents

16. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

I have the Timefactor and it's awesome, the best delay I've had, but I don't like the way it sounds running in front of an amp. I get great results using mine in the parallel effects loop of my amp because I can mix the effect in to color the sound as needed. If you're planning to run it in front of the amp, I'd attempt to try it with your rig before buying, to make sure you like what it does to your tone.

17. DrGonzo

DrGonzo Gold Supporting Member

I've had all three (DD20, Nova and TimeFactor). I still own the Timefactor. The fact that they can rev the software based upon user feedback is just one among many reasons why it's a great pedal. You can hook up a footswitch with 3 additional buttons that you can assign to anything you want. You can hook up an expression pedal. You get tons of presets. You get a looper! Great pedal. That being said you can also get some really good sounds out of the Nova. No looper on the NOVA though. The DD20 also has a basic looper, but the sounds don't compare to the TimeFactor imho. Try out all three and pick the one that works best for you. That's the only sure way to get what you want....but if you can't do that locally and you are willing to spend the money, just save yourself the time and trouble and buy the TimeFactor. Check out Teahead's clips for some idea of what it can do! :BEER