Timefactor & Timeline / Space & Timeline users

archtop

I currently still own and like my Timefactor. I've sold my El Cap and ordered a Timeline. Part of the appeal of using my Timefactor has been the T1M 3 button footswitch with expression wheel on the side. Makes navigating presets, tap tempo, and using expression on any number of parameters easy and fun.

I've been reading some of the functional drawbacks to the Timeline and am wondering if they can be overcome by using an Eventide pedal, Timefactor or Space as a midi controller of sorts, combined with the T1M footswitch?

What are you able to achieve with your Eventide box and Timeline via Midi?

I'm still up in the air about selling my Timefactor to fund a Space. But that's a different consideration.

are you saying you want the timefactor to control the timeline, like a midi pedal would?

archtop

I'm imagining you could treat both units as one large unit. They would change presets simultaneously, although both units may not always be producing an audible effect.

This way you get the preset naming of the Timefactor (or space), and it's better and more accurate tap tempo, as well as easy bank navigation and expression via the E3ME footswitch.

Am I making sense?

jborges

I have the space/timefactor and timeline. I currently run the timefactor with the T1m 3button switch and I use midi to control the tempo from the timefactor to the space to a M9.

I want to replace the timefactor with the timeline in the setup. The downside of the TL is without a midi control it is rather clumsy and awkward for live use. Even the simple banking up and down. Unfortunately the Tl doesn't and can't use a 3 button switch like the Timefactor. It should have been able to, but NO. Instead you have to buy a midi controller to make it usable live. which is $100-150 for a basic one.

Anyway I have come to the same conclusion as you. I am trying to work it where the space will be my controller. Using the 3button T1m I am going to set it where two buttons control parameters on the Timeline and the last button to control a parameter on the space. In theory in looks like the space should do this because it can function and send Midi CC messages. I'll keep you posted with what I find.

teleclem

Please do update us. Interested in how I can maximize them myself.

I have the space/timefactor and timeline. I currently run the timefactor with the T1m 3button switch and I use midi to control the tempo from the timefactor to the space to a M9.

I want to replace the timefactor with the timeline in the setup. The downside of the TL is without a midi control it is rather clumsy and awkward for live use. Even the simple banking up and down. Unfortunately the Tl doesn't and can't use a 3 button switch like the Timefactor. It should have been able to, but NO. Instead you have to buy a midi controller to make it usable live. which is $100-150 for a basic one.

Anyway I have come to the same conclusion as you. I am trying to work it where the space will be my controller. Using the 3button T1m I am going to set it where two buttons control parameters on the Timeline and the last button to control a parameter on the space. In theory in looks like the space should do this because it can function and send Midi CC messages. I'll keep you posted with what I find.

jborges

After playing with it for a while this morning these are my findings:

Space can work well as the Master clock: Tap the tempo and it sets everything else after. The space and TL sync pretty close. it is either dead on bpm or the Tl in one BPM higher.

The space can send program changes to the TL. So when you engage one preset on the space it turns a selected one on from the TL.

The T1m 3 button can send midi cc to other pedals. This works great for other factor pedals and even the m9. Unfortunately it only can send 1 cc.
The Time Line takes 4 cc messages just to bank up or down.
(if I am wrong please correct me, I would love more input)

Looks like for me to make the timeline work for my setup I'll have to get a midi controller.

archtop

After playing with it for a while this morning these are my findings:

Space can work well as the Master clock: Tap the tempo and it sets everything else after. The space and TL sync pretty close. it is either dead on bpm or the Tl in one BPM higher.

The space can send program changes to the TL. So when you engage one preset on the space it turns a selected one on from the TL.

The T1m 3 button can send midi cc to other pedals. This works great for other factor pedals and even the m9. Unfortunately it only can send 1 cc.
The Time Line takes 4 cc messages just to bank up or down.
(if I am wrong please correct me, I would love more input)

Looks like for me to make the timeline work for my setup I'll have to get a midi controller.

Thanks so much! Tempo and program change may be all I need.

If you have time, would you be able to check this out... With tap tempo and Master Clock, if you have the Eventide Space/Timefactor set to Global Tempo, does the Timeline continue to receive the same bpm tap tempo message when you engage new presets? Or do you need to tap a new tempo in with each program change? Thanks in advance.

jborges

With one of the eventides set as the master tempo it sets the Time lines tempo even after changing banks and presets. So with the space/timefactor set to a global tempo does give the time Line the same global tempo.

Note: on startup it doesn't send the tempo right away, you have to tap to get everything synced. After that it changes every time.

teleclem

With one of the eventides set as the master tempo it sets the Time lines tempo even after changing banks and presets. So with the space/timefactor set to a global tempo does give the time Line the same global tempo.

Note: on startup it doesn't send the tempo right away, you have to tap to get everything synced. After that it changes every time.

That's good to hear. I should try it out.

neu18

Silver Supporting Member
I'd sell the Timefactor for a space. I personally never liked the timefactor.

I use the Strymon Timeline live without a midi or separate bank up/down switch. There is a learning curve to changing presets, but it's fairly useable by itself. You just need to store the presets close together that you use the most.

theroan

Depending on how much midi you have going on, the Space can be a clock for the TL, so you only have to tap one. Though you would need a midi merge to have both the T1M switch and Space going at the same time.

jborges

No need for a midi merge to use the T1M switch as long as the space is the master. The T1m switch can be programed to activate functions on the Space or send midi cc.

With multiple Factor pedals the T1m can hook up to the first pedal and be programed to send commands to another factor pedal.

jborges

The Space is eith sending the clock out or it's on thru mode. It can't do both.

Correct. But that is something not even in dispute. The space obviously has to be set as the master/send to control the timeline. So it wouldn't even function setting it on the "through" setting.
The T1m switch can be used to send midi messages to other pedals when space is set as the master.

Sorry if I am misunderstanding what you are trying to say.

High Voltage

Is it possible to have the TL receiving bank/preset changes from a Space while NOT receiving global tempo? Is it easy to switch back and forth between receiving global tempo and not receiving it?

Would be nice to receive global tempo when playing on the fly and to not receive when tempos can be preset ahead of time.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom